The TRUTH about boots

Ticks N Tines

Very Active Member
I'm getting really tired of buying boots every couple of years. I have searched through the forum archives and done a ton of research on websites, but I want the TRUTH.

Who here has a pair of boots that has lasted 5 years and been through hell and back? That's the real question in my opinion.

I hike quite a bit, but I know several of you are hard core huntin fools. I would like to find out what boots you wear and how long you have had them.

I know this is a popular subject, but I want the info from the guys that have been around the hills with the same boots for 5 years and can provide a 5 year history and review of some dang good boots.

I want the best boot I can get.

Thanks,

Matt

I've several pairs of boots; (hi-end) Danner and Osolo.

I love the boots but have had exactly the same issue....I get 2 to 2 1/2 years out of them...the terrain, miles and rocks seem to simply tear them up.

I've about come to the conclusion that that is all we can expect. I'll be watching for answers if anyone knows better.

Within the shadows, go quietly.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 12:36PM (MST)[p]I had a pair of Georgas that are 5+ years old. I have hiked the heck out of them. Done concrete and cut firewood in them. They are still going strong. You have to keep them oiled regularly. I use mink oil.

I started on a pair of Irish setters last year. So far so good. If they are anything like their parent co. Redwings, which I use for work. They will last a long time.

I have been looking at the "Meindl Perfekt" boot at cabelas for a while and I'm leaning toward that. But I would still like to see if someone has put them through the 5 year challenge.

I have the mendel perfect boots, Love em. 2.5 years with them now and still in great shape.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Great! That's what I was looking for. As long as a boot will last me 3-4 years I would be satisfied. 5 years would be awesome!
Thanks for the replies.

+1, If they come in 14 EEE, i'm looking for a good pair too! :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Kenetrek extremes. Mine aren't 5 yet, but I bought them in 2008. They have been through 4 hard seasons, hundreds of miles and I would dare say that they have another two years left on them. They have been in west Texas desert hunts for aoudad, Alaska Dall sheep hunt for two weeks, nine deer, elk, and antelope hunts in Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming and countless scouting and backpack trips and to the top of twelve 14ers in Colorado. I won't even consider another boot when the time comes for a new pair.

...If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

I've had my pair of Rocky's for close to 5 years, BUT they are 800 gram thinsulate boots so I only use them in cold weather conditions. They have been great boots. Good to hike in, warm, etc.
I use 3 pairs of boots.....a summer scouting boot, fall (before snow) boot, and a late fall cold weather snow boot. My summer scouting boots last only one year on average. For my fall boot, I have pair of New Balance boots. They have held up really well for about 3-4 years now.
I think I will always need several pairs of boots for different times of the year, but it would be nice to have the same pairs for 5 years. The summer boots are my problem. I don't buy real heavy duty boots for summer hiking because I like them really light weight and cool, so maybe that is why they don't hold up as long. Probably can't have the best of all worlds.

Maybe the secret to a 5 year boot is to road hunt more?

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

>
>I have the mendel perfect boots,
>Love em. 2.5 years
>with them now and still
>in great shape.
>
>
>O--one
>B--big
>A--ass
>M--mistake
>A--america
>
>
>
I think he wants to know from people that puts miles on there boots not on their fourwheelers. Any boot will last that long when you dont get 5 feet of the trail...

:):):) Ha ha sorry just razzin ya chad.
>
>
>
>

Palehorse, I have owned a pair of Irish Setters by Red Wings. One of the most comfortable boots I have ever owned but they only lasted me one full year. I wore the knobs flat and the rubber started separating from at the heals. I am He!! on boots here in rocky Arizona. I now own a pair of Wolverines that so far have out lasted the Irish Setters that I used in the same conditions. I initially had problems with the way the Wolverines pinched the top of my foot at the crease but after wearing them and putting some miles on them with TopGun and his buddy John that issue has went away. So far they have held up. I will know more after I have been through my January Coues Hunt where I hunt some steep and deep rocky stuff.

Marly, the Kenetrek extremes are on my wish list to be my next pair. Im hoping Santa will be good to me in the next couple of years. :)

GBA

I have both the Kenetrek Mt. Extreme and the Meindl Perfekt Hunter. The Kenetrek's are very comfortable for me and I loved them until this yr(had the boots for 1yr). After a few hrs hunting elk in wet snow my feet were soaked. I never had that happen with the Meindl's. That being said the Meindl's were never as comfortable but still going after 4 yrs. My next pair will be Lowa.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 02:37PM (MST)[p]Matt:

I don't know what you consider "die hard" and I don't think I fall in that category, but I have owned my "Perfekt Hunters" for 4-5 years. I think, just a little over 4 years to be exact.

I have been on many elk, deer, bear, bird hunts... I have even taken them ice fishing. I just wear some heavy socks. I have used them when its warm (2 spring bear hunts) and all other conditions. I have also used them when I have been working on my cabin, in the summer and winter months.

My feet have never been wet! The have no holes in them and there might be a few missing stitches, but not many. They are still performing as they did when they were new. And, I have never had a blister!

Mine are the 400 gram.

I used to own Danners and after 2 years, I got tired of having wet feet. I will never own another pair of Danners!

I guess you can tell I like the Meindl... I also bought a lighter version of Meindl Hikers. i wear them every day, although they are not quit as durable as the Perfekt.

When and if you buy them, they will squek for a while. However, that "squeek" will soon go away.

I've used 2 pair of Meindl Alaskans since early 2002. The first pair were left a bit close to the wood stove (2003) in the cook's tent and she built a fire... ouch!
I love them but they are not the only pair I use. They'll easily last a few more years even though they have 4 sheep hunts on them already. (that's 7 or 8 years of servive but I use 2 other pairs for different conditions).

My son and brother use the perfekt and love them! They each have 3 or 4 years on them. WE USE THEM FOR HIKING AND HUNTING ONLY! NO CEMENT, DITCH, CONSTRUCTION, WOOD CUTTING ETC WORK.

Good luck,

Zeke

I have had the Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 400's for 4 years now. They were great for 2 years but are not even close to waterproof nowdays. I bought the sealer from Kenetreks website and seal them at least once a year and it does no good. They are comfortable and everything else is in good shape but they don't hold out the water anymore.

I'll look at another brand when I go to buy a new pair. My .02$

Does anyone have experience with their lifetime warranty? Would that warrant a new pair?

I've hunted in my Meindl Denali's for 2 years and feel like I've just gotten them broken in. Of course it took about a year to get them broken in so I didn't get blisters!

I think any of the high end boots (i.e. cost more than $250) are going to make your 5 year window unless you are wearing them every single day for work or something like that. Lowa, Hanwag, Asolo, Meindl, Kenetrek, etc. would fall into that category I think.

I have yet to find a light/mid wt hiking boot that will last over a year. The two brands that I like best are Asolo and Solomon. The newer Asolo's are much improved and my #1 choice. Knowing that they won't last a full year I buy in July and then they are broken in but still in good shape by hunting season for the elements.

Schnees will last over 5 yrs but they are a cold winter boot and don't get the mileage

My Kenetreks have never leaked in the 4 years. In Alaska I don't think I ever walked on dry ground and my boots never dried in the 2 weeks I was there but my feet NEVER got wet. I would call Kenetrek if you are having the leaking problems you've described.

....If you find a message from myself offensive, inappropriate or disruptive, please ignore it. If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to me and I will demonstrate.....

This will be my 5th season on my irish setters and its not over yet. They are the all gore tex (no leather). They are very light, very comfortable, and very tough. Anyone that has hunted or even walked with me knows my boots go through hell!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

Ive had Kenetrek Mountain Ex 400 for two or three years now. It is a very comfortable boot, but I too struggle to keep dry with them on extended trips in wet weather. If im going to spend 400 on boots they had better not cut my hunt short.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-11 AT 07:53PM (MST)[p]I don't know how you guys get 5 years out of a pair of boots. I have had my danners for 5 months and the soles are nearly worn flat between the arch and my toes. I do wear mine every day. Maybe if you only wear them for deer hunting they will last that long.

For fun I do reviews, I have 13 guys testing stuff and writing reviews for us.
We have used the following boots:
Kenetreks, Danner, Rocky, Cabelas, Meindl, Asolo, Irish Setter, Schnee....

Most guys, that use boots like the guys I am talking about, burn through them in 2-3 years. Some boots 1 year.
It would be very odd to get 4-6 years out of boots.
Especially, when a boot leaks you think it is DONE. The membranes used: Gortex and commonly Sympatex...Break down over time.

I have friends that work at WL Gore, they will all tell you that under repeated movement the membrane will break down. They will eventually leak.

So...take good care of the leather, and after 2 years stay out of water. :)

Go get a good name boot, that feels good, and hope for the best. I have had great luck with: Kenetrek, and Schnee.

Meindl Denalis all the way, I hunt chukar in mine, which is brutal on boots and they hold up great. Plus I dont like insulated boots at all. I would buy the Denalis any day of the week.

Matt, My Perfekt hunters are just just finishing their third year with absolutely no issues. They have been in every kind or terrain from summer to winter. Never have had wet/cold feet. Might hae to replace the laces before next year. Highly recommended!!!!
K

I've got 4 years out of my Vasques. I expect about one more will do. They are the most comfortable boot I've owned.

When I buy good quality boots it is usually the insides that wear out before the outside. I went through Danners way too quickly so I bought a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX Hunters from Lathrop and Sons. After just 2 years the insides of the boots are falling apart. The soles and leather are holding up well, but the insides are shredding. I paid way too much for that to happen after just 2 hunting seasons, I can get that out of Danners that cost 1/3 as much.

I just got a pair of Perfect Hunters and I am hoping they hold up better. As has been said, the Gore Tex just won't hold up under really heavy use no matter how good of quality the boots are.

Another Meindl fan here. I just finished up my 6th year on a pair of Meindl Blacktails (not made anymore, similar to Ibex 200g). Tread is pretty rounded off, starting to pop a few stiches, not a single leak ever! Awesome, awesome boot. I couldn't be happier. I could probably squeeze one more year out of them. I'd recommed them in a second. And belive me, these boots have some serious rough and tough backcountry milage on them. Summer pack trips, early season archery, wet october hunts, even knee deep january cow hunts. For me, these are about as close to an all purpose boot as I could find at the time. Relativly light weight too when compared with other full heighth boots.

>This will be my 5th season
>on my irish setters and
>its not over yet. They
>are the all gore tex
>(no leather). They are very
>light, very comfortable, and very
>tough. Anyone that has hunted
>or even walked with me
>knows my boots go through
>hell!

My setters fell apart after one season. My buddy also had setters and the whole boot literally dislodged itself from the sole while packing out an elk (Thank goodness we had a roll of duct tape). I will never buy setters again.

>Another Meindl fan here. I just
>finished up my 6th year
>on a pair of Meindl
>Blacktails (not made anymore, similar
>to Ibex 200g). Tread is
>pretty rounded off, starting to
>pop a few stiches, not
>a single leak ever! Awesome,
>awesome boot. I couldn't be
>happier. I could probably squeeze
>one more year out of
>them. I'd recommed them in
>a second. And belive me,
>these boots have some serious
>rough and tough backcountry milage
>on them. Summer pack trips,
>early season archery, wet october
>hunts, even knee deep january
>cow hunts. For me, these
>are about as close to
>an all purpose boot as
>I could find at the
>time. Relativly light weight too
>when compared with other full
>heighth boots.

LOL, I think this post is going to give Meindl quite a bit more business.

Good luck with that. At best I have 2 pair of kenetrek boots that I alternate one spring summer pair, and the other for hunting. I think with 2 $100 resole jobs I could make these work 5 years. My favorite boots by far.

I couldn't get more than one year out my danners and Vasque. I really doubt there is a one four season boot that could make it 5 years. If there is it should cost a bunch.

Limmer boots. I have one pair of "standard" model that is.....25 years old and is in perfect shape. Yes they are heavy and yes I have had to resole it once or twice but you can't find a better made boot for hunting in the Mountains. For whatever reason hunters haven't discovered this boot but backpackers have in a big way.

All this talk about Irish Setters blowing up has me a little nervous! But reall they have been great so far and way comfy too.

Rockies lasted one Fall/season & they were total Trash,not the Cheap Rockies neither!

First pair of Danners made it 2 seasons before they were JUNK!

Uinta Mountains are rough on Boots,or is it me?

When I say Seasons I'm talkin Mid-August through November/December.

My second pair of Danners started Squeaking & no matter how much oil/waterproofing I put on them they still have a Squeak,just what you need while trying to sneak up on an animal!

Got another New Pair of Danners waitin for next years PISSCUTTER hunt,last chance for Danners!

As far as a work Boot nothing beats Red Wings,they just ain't a Huntin Boot IMO.

The bad thing about boots is trying to outguess how much insulation you'll need,with weather changes you're just like a woman,you're feet are either too hot or too cold!(No offense Chicks:D)

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

this season was my 4th hunting season on my danners, they are the elk hunters. i did do a sole job on them this summer but they never leaked and arent falling apart inside. i oil my boots reagularly, but like a couple have mentioned, i alternate spring summer, and fall/early winter. i do hunt rough country and put a lot of miles on them and i have been impressed by the boot. for around 300 dollars when i bought them ive got my moneys worth, and am very satisfied with them. my summer boots are asolo. they are ok this is the secound year on them and they still kind of hurt my feet ive tried a few different in-soles with them but i cant find the right combination. this next year i might try something different for the early season.

"Shoot Straight"

I like the Belleville military boots. Comfortable, tall, keep the water out, Only get 2-3 years out of them, but I am fine with that because for $100 or so they are a good deal. I can buy 4 pairs for what one pair of the highend boots cost.

Cabelas boots. 4 years and still going strong, never had wet feet. By far the most comfortable boot I have worn. My son had a pair of Browning, they came apart after one short season. I went to Cabelas and bought him some similar to mine. No complaints on his end either. For the money you can't beat em.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-22-11 AT 09:38AM (MST)[p]>Limmer boots. I have one
>pair of "standard" model that
>is.....25 years old and is
>in perfect shape. Yes
>they are heavy and yes
>I have had to resole
>it once or twice but
>you can't find a better
>made boot for hunting in
>the Mountains. For whatever
>reason hunters haven't discovered this
>boot but backpackers have in
>a big way.

Here's your answer! I have a pair of Limmers' Leightweights that are now in their 5th season. They have thousands of miles on them elk and chukar hunting. I'm hard on boots and would wear out a pair of danners in one season. I'll likely get them resoled in the next few years. I figure they are 10-year boots at a minimum.

I did not take the time to read all the posts- but here is my opinion, which I'm sure is the same as many others on this subject.

I wore out Danners and Rockys easily in 2 years. I put A LOT of miles on my boots every year.
I bought a pair of Mendels and they are going on 5 years. I think I may have 1 more year left in them as I have wore out the soles.

Boots are one of those things you get what you pay for. If you look at brands such as Meindel, Han Wag, Lowa, Kennetrek, Crispi, ect. you will be very pleased.
Danner, Rocky, Georgia, Irish Setter, ect. make good boots, for the average outdoorsman, but don't last as long as the upper end boots.

I agree with the statements about durability.

If you're using just one pair of boots for everything, during all hunting seasons, then you'll not get 5 years out of a boot. Also, If you work in them every day then they'll not last nearly that long either.

If you use 3 different boots to match the hunting conditions, and only use them for hunting, then you'll easily get 5 years+ (unless you drag your feet too much or melt them in the fire)

I had 3 elk hunts this year and rotated 2 boots. Doing so provides more comfort and keeps my feet dryer.

A few years ago I tore all the "air-bobs" off the soles during one (1) sheep hunt in Idaho. After break-in the boots lasted exactly 13 days!

Zeke

I purchases a pair of Meindels and love the traction and support they provide on nasty side hills. i have put them through two hunting seasons and one season of looking for sheds. The tounge on one of the boots has worn out. I'm hoping they will take them back. That is the only place the boots have worn out. I think I may have gotten a defective pair. i have loved the boots by far the most comfortable boots I have owned and amazing traction on steep sidehills and mud.

I have 4.5 years on my Meindel Alaska Hunters on are still 100% waterproof, even with holes worn into the tounge area. I might be able to get another year out of them. They are great for walking side hills and anything else extreme. They are not that good for road hunting though as they are quite stiff. If you do a lot of road hunting then I would suggest the Perfect hunters (which are lower, not as stiff, but more comfortable when on a trail or in the pick-up and well made) or the danners, which are just comfortable. I have danners and they are my easy hunting/fishing boot.

If your just using them for hunting I don't know how you can't get just about any boot to last for 5 years. I use my hunting boots every day for work hiking hills and packing crap through mud, wet grass, all over the world. Any boot over a hundred bucks will last about 2 years if you keep them protected with some sort of leather protectant.

Most of the guys on here refering to Danners are talking about there cheap azz $180 chineze made boots. If it dont have a "made in the usa" tag on it its junk. I usally wear Danner Rainforests and get 2-3 years before they need a new sole. After that they can be rebuilt. They also use a goretex liner which can be replaced if it starts leaking. This pair of boots should last 5-7 years with a little TLC from the Danner recrafting dept...

385310600.jpg

When I want a lighter boot I wear the Meindl Perfekt Hikers. Before I switched to the Danner Rainforests I wore these everyday as a surveyor year round and would get 18-24 months out of them which is great, but I got tired of haveing to break in new boots so wanted something that could be rebuilt. The danners rainforests make a great hunting boot for day hunts but when going overnight on backpack hunts I like the lighter weight of the Mendls.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom