The wind isn't stable long enough.

goodspeednv

Here is a common dilemma that I run into while archery hunting mule deer in my home state of Nevada. I wonder what some of you other archery hunters might do. Here is a typical scenario: It's mid- august and we have located a few bucks and watched them bed down for the day. We then spend the next 3-6 hours watching the deer, taking pictures, finding other deer, eating lunch, and devising various scenarios to get within bow range. The deer have lots of time to settle in and temperatures rise, getting the thermals moving up-hill. So long story longer, the clock reads anywhere from 1:00 pm to 3:00 pm and the wind and thermals are as good as they are going to get. The hunter has made it to 35 yards on the bedded bucks and the waiting begins. The dilemma is that the winds are never consistent long enough, and at 35 yards it doesn't take much of a swirl to move your scent across their nose. Previous days have shown that the bucks are determined not to get up, and after 30 minutes to 2 hours at close range the winds are consistently,,, inconsistent. There?s no telling when the wind might swirl. So, what do you do? You?re in range and you can only get a shot if a buck stands up, and you have that sinking feeling that the wind is going to betray you any second.
Would you,,,
A: Throw a rock, whistle, grunt, draw and charge, etc.
B: Wait and take your chances that if the wind swirls before the buck stands up on his own,, well then, that's ?hunting?, and you try again tomorrow.
C: Some other top secret bow hunting strategy.

+1 on waiting it out. That's me too plus that's archery hunting :) Getting in close like a preditor and waiting for that chance to kill your prey. If you don't get that shot "chance at your kill" best not to disturb that animal and keep them relaxed and in their comfort zone and they will stay in the area. Blow them out and your hunting that area for quite awhile is over :)

We de-scent using the personal hygein soaps and use the scent-lok gear and it does work great if your do it properly. Gives you one more edge at not getting winded. Do it right and if you get busted.. it will be because of some type of movement or noise. We can hunt the same canyon, sneek in and out in the dark on elk for a week and never get busted by scent... it is always movement if something goes wrong. You might want to give good de-scenting of your self, your gear with Scent-killer spray a try. We spray everything, backpacks, bows, arrows (we use the bath wipe cloths) etc.

Remember archery is about how you do it...the hunt, the stalk, the kill and if you don't get the ethical kill shot you walk away..at least I think I read about that someplace??? :)

))))------->

I would wait it out, somethings are meant to be and some aren't meant to be. This year when the buck was thought to be in a different spot then he was it messed me up and that is hunting.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom