Thinking about getting into blackpowder

I

ID_Paul

I've been seriously considering the purchase of a blackpowder gun and getting into muzzleloader hunting. I love hunting in the snow,and here in Idaho it seems that most of the non-draw late hunts are muzzleloader only.

A few questions...

Recommended gun? I'll probably go traditional not inline. (Not sure if inlines are legal here?)

What is it like? Do you see more game than general rifle hunts?

How often do you fill your tag? More or less often than with a rifle?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul. I am also preparing for first time muzzleloader hunting in Idaho for next year. I get the feeling that you are finding the laws here a bit vague, like I am.

I have been talking to some guys that I work with who hunt the ML season though, and they are telling me that inline rifles are legal, if the nipple is exposed to the weather. You can not use 209 shotshell primers here though.

I am thinking of getting a Knight ML. Cabelas has some pretty decent deals on them.

Bluelk (moderator of this forum) has posted some pretty good threads (8 chapters) about getting in to ML rifles and hunting. Use the search function and type in 101. His posts are all called muzzleloading 101 or something like that. Just type in the 101 under the topic field and it will bring up all 8 chapters.

Where in Idaho do you live?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom