This is nice.

What about the milk sac's? There is a video on Youtube with some guy gutting a doe and he punctures the milk sac. Does that do anything to the meat?

I just trim around it and it peels off just like the penis does. No idea on how milk affects the meat. When I process and of my deer at home, I carefully trim off any exposed meat with a filet knife and discard.

-DallanC

Sorry but to me that is just disrespectful to the animal. They exhibit an attitude of irreverence towards the whole hunting experience. Someone should be down there, on their knees with the kid showing him how to do it step by step, not just letting him rip the guts out carelessly and then laughing about it on video. The guy who sounds like the responsible adult it more worried about him getting guts on his pants than taking proper care of the meat. And then to top it off they post it on the net.

I had field dressed many deer before I was ever able to even shoot one. I was taught to respect the animal and do it correctly. What a joke.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

Yeah, its real nice. I had never cleaned a deer when I shot my first but like you said, my uncle explained to me how to do it, made sure I understood that process and was right there to help me through it and help me with things I couldnt get. I dont understand how a guy can give his kid a knife and say, "have at it." And not to mention like you said, it seemed like the guys main goal was to get something good to put on youtube. And when the kid starts having a tug-of-war with the guts why doesnt he tell him to stop?

My favorite tactic is to plead stupid & try to con my hunting partner into cleaning my deer. Problem with that is it only works once.

I'm just kidding ?.. My dad was an artist at cleaning a deer and taught me well. If I ever broke the bladder he would give me the silent treatment for awhile. I agree with the above assessment of the video. Whoever the adult was should have been teaching the boys instead of making a joke about it.

RUS

Obviously the adult running the camera doesn't know that stomach contents and urine is not a good marinade for the meat! I'm sure that young deer would be excellent table fare....but not with the way these guys have displayed how they care for the animal. It is a shame that this is on a national site like youtube for the anti's to get a hold of it. It is disgraceful in my opinion. Where is the guidance? Will these kids grow up with the idea that these beautiful animals are at our taking when ever they'd like to? I know I'm probably reading into this way too far but HOW are they being taught? This shows an absolute lack of respect and knowledge of how an animal should be treated and processed!

Steve

yeah I bet that deer tasted like crap. Some people complain about the wild taste of deer. I understand old bucks does not taste the best, but when you shoot a small buck or a doe and it taste like crap it is because of that reason right there. Dut da der.

You got that right Roy. My dad had me do my first deer while he sat there next to me and gave me step by step directions. It took hours but I did it right.

This year I had the pleasure of cleaning his deer for him since he is 70.

Calif_mike

i punctured a milk bag on accident one time too, didnt do anything to the meat, i have to watch the video still so i might have a repost.

wow, what a nice video, retards my question is though how come they are field dressing a dog, man that doe is tiny glad we got real sized deer here.

>What about the milk sac's? There
>is a video on Youtube
>with some guy gutting a
>doe and he punctures the
>milk sac. Does that do
>anything to the meat?

No, it doesn't do anything to the meat and it taste great on cheerios too.
Just kidding, Geese.

Puncturing the mammary glands (milk sacks) is not the problem. The problem is not removing the glands quickly enough. Like the internal organs, esophogus, and windpipe, the mammary glands tend to decompose more rapidly than the muscle tissue. This can cause the meat that comes into contact with the rotting mammary tissue to become tainted (in other words, starts to smell and taste like the taint).

Teaching the kids or new hunters how to take proper care of an animal is as important as teaching them how to find and harvest the animal. It is our responsibility to take care of the meat before worrying about taking care of the antlers.
This gets us back to the issue of ethics. If the meat isn't recovered quickly and properly, the animal should not have been harvested in the first place.
Even if we don't hunt mainly for the meat, it is the main responsibility in my eyes!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom