Thoughts on the 338-06

Bambistew

Very Active Member
I'm thinking of starting a new project. The more reserch that I look into the more apealing this round is. Does anyone own one of these, and what is your opinion if you do or don't.

Personaly I am really looking hard at the 338-06, all the numbers that I find show that it only lags behind the 338wm by 100-200 fps. depending on what load. The few that I have talked with say the same thing, 210s or 225 are the ticket, they are getting about 2800+/- fps with the 210s and about 2700+/- with the 225s. That would be more than enough for anything that I want to hunt NA. I think it would be the ultimate moose rifle. Trajectory (sp) is very similar to the 30-06 out to reasonable ranges too.

The reason that it is more apealing to me is the fact that components are somewhat cheaper (30-06 brass is cheap, and I have a ton of it), and the magazine could hold 5 instead of only 3 as in the 338wm, and lastly I like to be the black sheep...

Right now I'm looking for either a mod 70 winny 700 rem, or possibly m77 action to rebarel with either a Shilen or Hart barrel more than likely, slap it into a mcmillian stock and top it with a fixe 4 or 6 power Leupold. I think I would go with a little longer barrel too, say 26" to bump up the velocity just a little bit.

I'm still kicking around the idea of having it 'AI'ed but the drawbacks to that is the price of dies goes up by about 5 times, and all cases have to be fire formed. Just doesn't seem like it would be worth the effort to gain 50-100fps. On the other hand it would almost duplicate the 338wm velocities.

I have 338-06 on the brain...

Thanks for your thoughts

Ivan

if you're doing it just because brass is cheap, don't. you'll never recoup the intial cost of all the custom work, dies, etc. but if you're doing it because it's something you just have to do, rock on dude. a guy always needs another rifle. hell, i have around a dozen .270's i think. it would be nice to have those 2 extra rounds in the magazine also. if you ackley-ize it, you should be real close the a .338 mag in performance. i like the idea of the bigger bullets too. no sense in having a barrel with hole in it big enough for a cat to have kittens in, and then shootin' dinky, short bullets. i have an ol' uncle that has an 8mm/06. he got an old 8mm mauser during wwII and ammo was hard to find in the states after the war, so had the chamber reamed, fire formed a bunch of military surplus ammo and has been shooting it for over 50 years now. the '06 case is a very versatile thing. have fun.

Hey Ivan!!, how you been dude? Looks like your about to tackle quite a project. I know how it "eats" at ya when you think you just gotta have something. Don't get me wrong ,but, have you compared the .338-06 with the Rem .338 ultra mag.? Maybe I just don't understand, but, why go through all that "wildcat" hassle, when there's usually a factory round that's ballistically similar, or superior? The whole process doesn't sound very "cheap" to me. Definitely a neat idea, to build your "dream gun". Best of luck with your decision, whichever way you decide to go. BUCKRUB :D

The real reason I want one is, because you can never have to many guns...

I am going to have it assembled, due to the fact that I don't have the propper tools. I don't know why I want to go through all the hassel, I guess its because it would be created insead of a factory stamping it out, the quality control would be much better. I know I can have one built cheaper than I can buy it, because Weatherby is the only one that chambers it. I figure I can put it together for about $800-900 with a very nice barrel and quality components. I know I could probably find one ready to go for that price, who knows if the price is right I may just jump on it...

The price of dies is not much more that any other round, the only drawback is forming the brass unless I want to pay a dollar a case from weatherby for new brass. Its not like its is going to be my varmint rifle so I probably won't need that many brass.

I don't really want a 338 UM, I think they are just a waste. The BIG bore that I really want is a 416 Rigby. That will be big enough... I would be more thatn happy with the nonmagmum 338 with almost the capability of one.

Buckrub, I took a little trip back to see my folks in Montana, shot a crap load of gophers, picked up a bunch of sheds, caught some fish, scouted out my antelope, and had a great time.

I don't think I told you, but I went back out the the secret turkey spot and saw another monster, he was probably a 10" or so. He just wouldn't come any clooser than about 100 yards.

Ivan

Ivan, sounds like you've done your homework on the .338-06 and your right, "no one ever has enough guns". There is a measure of satisfaction in creating your own rifle. Closest I get is when I slay deer with my "Cracker-jack reloads"!!! I think I know where you'll be Turkey hunt'in next spring, huh ? I ended-up with 2 birds, but not big "strutters", like you got. Check this out, I took a friend to our club property, as a guest and put him in a decent spot. Well, he nails a 23lb'er with 3 beards, the longest @ 10 1/2", and 35mm spurs!!! Is that a "hammer" or what!!! If I keep this up, I'm gonna start guide'in. On a more serious note, we might very well lose our leases, after this season, so I might need to hook-up with you next spring and we'll double-team them suckers!!!! Good luck with your "new gun" project, keep us posted. SEE YA !! Steve :D

Gentleman, Maby you can he;p me,?? What is the 338-06? Is he cal 30 or 338 is the brass 30-06 or 338. I guess I don't get it.

ES54, in short, it's a necked-up 30-06 case to .338 diameter. Good performance and ballistics in a non-magnum caliber.

the 338-06 is no longer a wildcat.i belive the 338-08 still is.it sounds as if your trying to match 338 mag ballistics?why not just go with a 338 mag??but i understand if u gotta have it u gotta have it.i wouldnt ackley improve it.it just isnt worth the hasslle imo.
hicountry

you don't have to fire form the brass. Just take you '06 brass and run them through your sizing dies. If you take it slow you will not have a problem. This is a great round for anything in NA. The reason to go with this round is simple. Basicly you get 338 wmag performance with out the recoil. Less recoil, easier to shoot.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom