Thoughts on the new early unit 61 elk season

oldmossback

What is your thoughts on the new early rifle elk hunt in unit 61? What effect do you think it will have on the 1st season rifle hunt? I personally think that it will have a huge effect and you will see a drop in preference points required for the 1st season and also a drop in the quality of the unit as a whole. I do not think it was a smart choice to introduce this new season.

Thoughts?

I think it will have some impact to hunt quality but hopefully not alot (I drew 1st season). The elk might get pushed a little further downhill into the scrub oak but they might work their way back up into the aspen/timber by 1st season. The 30 either sex tags offered were taken from Archery (5), muzzle loader (5 bull, 10 cow), and the remainder from 2nd - 4th Rifle seasons. The season ends on October 7th, 8 days before the 1st rifle hunt. As far as impacts on preference points, this season it took 19 resident points & 23 non-resident points to draw the new early season. Interesting that the 1st season bull tag took 12 resident points last season and some hunters drew with 9 points this year. I think this sudden drop in required points was due to so many people in the 12 - 18 point range put in for the new hunt code leaving less hunters in the pool for 1st season. I think now that everyone has seen how many points it takes to draw the early season, more hunters will again apply for the 1st season and the points will go back up to 11 or 12.

I put in for it also. 22 NR points and I didn't draw. I don't think it will impact the 1st season. 8 days they should settle down a bit.

I was on the bubble of sending for it with 22 NR points and bailed for the hopes of drawing the muzzle tag. Turns out it worked but not without some great advice. Been long time coming as the creep got away from a lot of us. If I had to do over again I'd of sent for the bow tag years back. Hopefully it works out. Interesting stats by others. Best of luck to all!
Riggo

I don't think 30 tags will hurt the quality. It's not like all 30 of the hunters are gonna shoot the 30 biggest bulls in the unit. I don't have a dog in this I have 0 pp currently just my 2 cents. It's a big unit just saying

The new season hunters will probably just shoot the 1st cow they see and go home early.

Yes, that was sarcasm.

I did not like it when they announced it and still do not like it. For years the CPW has claimed that the "Quiet Period" from end of archery to 1st rifle was too important to hunt. Now all the sudden they are throwing in another hunt in the unit. Trophy quality will go down, success rate will be high fr the season but 1st rifle season will suffer.

I see no real benefit to it at all...

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom