Thread for ATV Gripers

hunt1

All I asked was a simple question and the majority of responses have nothing to do with an answer. I don't plan on trekking across a roadless mountain and I shouldn't be placed in a negative category because I purchased an ATV. Threats are uncalled for just because someone has an ATV.

For those individuals that made an attempt to provide me with advice, I thank you. I always look forward to the opportunity this website offers its users in regards to the wide variety tips, hints, suggestions, etc., but let's draw the line somewhere.

Amazing all the tough talk you get just for asking about something that is perfectly legal. I carry plugs, wrench, patch kit and tow strap. Also have an assortment of weapons to keep tire slashers in line. Most of our hunt areas are open to atv use and thousands of miles of good forest roads. I also get ticked if some idiot rides around during prime time while hunting but not enough to slash tires or steal parts. Enjoy your bike and think of others and all is good. Must be a lot of a-holes back east for all the bitter talk about hating anything but your feet. Like to see them walk in 30 miles to camp here for a hunt.

Have fun, and be safe. A little story for ya we were hunting Wy a few years ago and a friend and I both had atv in a legal area, and I had just purchased one for him at a auction. Well it had Ca plates on it, mine had none. He had to push it a long ways because somone let the air out of his tires. My bike sitting next to his, but they did nothing to it. Call me paranoid, but when I hunt out of state I cover all my plates. LOL

Checker Auto is selling 2000lb winches for $79... that would be a heck of a deal for an ATV. I have a 1500LB one on my ATV and use it more than I initially thought I would (use it to power the snowblade in winter, lifting stuff around the yard / farm).

Never had to use one to get unstuck but last year I used it to load an elk. Drove the ATV right into a tree, hooked a pully up on a sturdy branch above and ran the cable over the top of the ATV to the elk... worked slick to pull the elk up onto it with very little lifting. 3 Years ago I had an elk on the same ATV but got into a tight ravine and couldnt drive up and out without tipping over backwards (big cow elk lol), so I ran a cable up the ravine and to a tree just to keep enough pressure on the frontend to keep it from going over backward. Man what a lifesaver a winch can be. (guess I should put on a disclaimer before people jump to incorrect conclusions that each of the 4 elk I've hauled out on ATVs came from private property).

-DallanC

hunt1

I'M NOT BEING SMART AND IT'S NO OFFENSE!!!

BUT I THINK A GOOD THING TO HAVE IN THE JOCKEY BOX OF YOUR ATV WOULD BE MAPS OF THE AREA'S WHERE YOU'LL BE RIDING,YOU CAN GET THEM FROM THE FOREST SERVICE,BLM,RESERVATIONS,SOME OF THE MAPS WILL ALSO SHOW PRIVATE PROPERTY LOCATIONS AND APPROXIMATES!!!

THE OPEN AND CLOSED AREA'S CHANGE FROM YEAR TO YEAR,SO IT WOULD BE A GOOD IDEA TO GET NEW MAPS EVERY YEAR,IT'S KINDA LIKE THE PROCLAMATIONS OR SHOULD I SAY UTAH BIBLE???

MULE TAPE WOULD BE ANOTHER GOOD THING TO CARRY,I CARRY IT IN MY PACK,IT'S NYLON 3/4" WIDE,1/8" THICK,LIGHT WEIGHT AND 1500 LB. TEST,HANDY FOR ALOT OF THINGS!!!

THE ONLY bobcat IN THE WORLD NOT HUNTING OFF AN ATV!!!