Ticks!!!

slcmuley

Do bug sprays work to keep the ticks off you?
My daughter and I came home tonight and found several ticks on us after hiking around the Vernon unit. I had an extremely painful bugger imbedded into my belly button.

yes it works!! I frequent areas back east where there are tons of ticks and wont go into the woods without spraying down.

there is also a an item you can was your clothes in and it is good for about 5 or so washes against ticks. It starts with a P but I cant remember what it is called

permithin or something

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Nets are for fish!!

Keep checking that bite area for a week. If you develope a reddish bullseye pattern and start having flu like symptoms. Get to a doctor ASAP and have him check you for Lyme diease.

RELH

Bug spray and lighter colored clothing, particularly socks and undershirts. +1 on watching the bite. We do have Lyme here.

Right now there is a brown/purple spot about the size of the tick (1/8"+) in my belly button. It is still tender.

I had ticks on me when I was a kid but to be honest I cant remember what it was like.

Thanx for the advice guys I will watch things for the next several days and take better precautions on my next outing.

Permathrin.
REI carries a watered down version you can spray directly on your clothes, or you can buy the real stuff from a livestock supply store and water it down with soapy water.

It definitely helps, although it mainly just slows them down, not completely get rid of them. I'm lucky enough to live in a Lyme free area so I don't lose sleep over an embedded one or two. If it were in my area though, I'd definitely be more cautios.

for me, wearing shorts and short socks work the best my legs get pretty scratched up but this way i can feel the little suckers crawling on me. I typically get them before they get too close to the knee. I've never had one get up past mid thigh and never had one in me yet--thankfully. My personal record is 9 in one day. Of course you always itch the rest of the day when you find one.

Todd Black
BTO

Permethrin is the gold standard for tick repellants. Always get that if available.

However, sometimes you forget until the last minute and the store you go in doesn't have that. If you get a product with 25% or higher deet, you will be OK too. Deep woods off is an example of such a product. They make insect repellants for other insects that have less deet. they will prob. do OK with mosquitos, but not ticks.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

If it does work I need to get me some, especially when I go to montana bear hunting. One night I pulled 23 of those little bass-terds off me.

It is very unlikely that you have Lyme disease....but I would get to the doc now. Early treatment is critical. At least call a doctor and get his opinion.

Read the instructions on Permethrin. It goes on your clothes, not on your skin. It won't hurt you but the moisture/sweat will render it useless on your skin.

Lymnes desease is bad stuff. A few facts. Ticks have to be attached for 24 hours or more. In 7-14 days a circular rash will occur, some describe as a bullseye. Got to DR., easy to treat with antibiotics. But if left untreated lots of bad complications. Blood test are usually done but here are false positves. Dr. in areas that have Lymnes desease potential just put you on antibiotics to be sure.

There are adult ticks, but there is also nymphs and larvea stage which are very small and I can't feel them. I feel the adults. Not all ticks are carriers and I think only the ticks of the genius Ixoides are carriers. Very common in parts of Missouri and the coast of California.

I have had Lymnes desease twice. But knew what to look for and had treated.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming.

Permethrin is best thing going for ticks and chigger. I order it in bulk. Have used it for 13+ years crawling all over the woods in NC/VA and other places playing Marine. Deeps Woods off is like a dipping sauce for the ticks back here.....and quite honestly a waste of time and $$$$ If you can find the Permethrin that you dillute with water and soak your clothes in and let dry, even better than the spray can stuff. Another benefit is the stuff doesnt stink as bad as deep woods off either. It'll typically last a few washings before you need to do it again. Best of luck.

I was pretty excited about my FishLake Elk hunt till I read this.
Ticks give me the willies.

Do you have ticks in FishLake area?

LAST EDITED ON May-24-10 AT 01:18PM (MST)[p]I've used Permanone with great results on keeping the ticks and chiggers off me on Texas hunts....

http://www.greatoutdoorsdepot.com/repel-permanone-clothing-repellant.html

I spray the cuffs and belt line on my pants and cuffs and collar on my shirts and then put them in a plastic bag and spray a good dose in the bag before I seal it up prior to a hunting trip.... Never had a single hitchhiker after doing this.... Terry

An older gentlemen (65 or so) got lyme disease and it nearly killed him. Be very, very careful. It may not be a bad idea to have a blood test done.

Steve

When I was in the service we used sulpher powder and took sulfer tablets to keep the bugs away. Just put the powder in an old sock and shook it out on our legs boots clothes and such. Before we went out in the field for extended periods we would take the tablets.

Dont really know if it worked or not but I know I never had ticks or fleas.

I'm wondering if a flea collar on each leg would help, no odor to spook game that way.

I often just get the flea and tick dip for dogs, which is Permithin(sp), dip your hunting close in it and let them dry to treat them. I think it helps, you will still get ticks on you but not as many and they seem to die soon after

If you don't like ticks, avoid northern Idaho! Just returned from a 10 day bear hunt and the record was 13 in about an hour! Dang things are terrible! Luckily no one had one buried in them, but you can go anywhere without having them crawl on you.

Kilbuc,

"Ticks have to be attached for 24 hours or more." Not always the case...I'm still battling Lyme Disease from a tick bite during elk season in Idaho last fall. 4 hours after getting bit, I was on my way to the ER. 3 months later the blood tests showed positive but it was too late to get it knocked out quickly. Do not take a chance with this stuff...it is brutal.

Corey

Not a deer tick, but I had one stuck tight this morning. I thought, "I don't have a mole there". It was on my waist under my beltline. I hate ticks !!!

Utards!!!
You just don't have the right balance in your Blood /Alcohol level!
They get on you, but they don't bite, if the level is right!
:) LOL!

>I was pretty excited about my
>FishLake Elk hunt till I
>read this.
>Ticks give me the willies.
>
>Do you have ticks in FishLake
>area?

Yes there are ticks on the Fishlake area.The antelope we took were loaded with ticks as well as the deer.I dont know about the elk,we didnt them.Be prepared for the ticks when you are out scouting and hunting down here though.(ROD)

Just do tick checks regularly in tick areas. Just returned from Idaho bear hunt and my record is 13 ticks on one road in and out (total of a 1 1/2 hour slow walk.

Probably had over 40-50 in nine days of hunting. None ever attached. Use spray, blouse pant legs, wear light colored clothing and comb hair often or shave your head.

Betwenn four of us we flipped off over 100 ticks this year.

Don't let them mess up your hunt just be smart and do tick checks.

wapati i hunted the fish lake for over 30 days straight last year and didnt even see a tick. the dogs were up there every weekend running all over hell and they didnt get one either. I will be very surprised if they are a problem for you.
Just Living The Dream

I've had lyme disease, 40 days antibiotics and 28 days of IV theropy. Not fun, I use 100% deet With good luck now. It depends on how the tick is removed, don't squeese the body,because you can force the bactiera into yourslef. Instead use small pointed tweesers to pull the tick off,ONLY grabbing it as close to your skin as possible, or pick the head out like a splinter with your knife.

>If you don't like ticks, avoid
>northern Idaho! Just returned from
>a 10 day bear hunt
>and the record was 13
>in about an hour! Dang
>things are terrible! Luckily no
>one had one buried in
>them, but you can go
>anywhere without having them crawl
>on you.

I bet I know where you were lol.... Ticks were crawling on us every day. I have never seen anything like it. However, we never hit 13 in an hour.. Probably about 13 for the trip.

I ran into a lot of ticks in eastern Kansas during turkey season as well as Muzzleloader Deer and Elk seasons. I tried spray, but it didn't help too much, so I ordered a pair of "RhinoSkinz" pants and top. They are very similiar to UnderArmor, and fit tightly to your body. So far I have not had a tick bite since I started wearing my rhino skin.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom