Tire chains-Ford ?

Elkman80

I have a 2011 Ford-150 that we are going to take to New Mexico. I bought a set of tire chains to take with us. When we put them on the fronts we are basically rubbing the front struts, and on the back the rubber guards on the shocks. There is only like 1" of clearance between the strut and the tire on front and a little more on the back. Anyone else having this problem or have a solution? Already talked to the local Ford dealer, and they weren't much help.

Are they heavy duty mud chains?

If so, try hooking the inside as loose as possible, then take up all the slack on the outside.

There are a couple places in Farmington that sell very high quality all metal spring type chain tensioners. Use these or try using two of the rubber chain tensioners.

I had the same issue on my 99 F250-non super duty. I broke two of my rubber chain tensioners & had to improvise with a ratchet strap!

If this doesn't work your only other option would be either a different set of wheels with more offset or wheel spacers. Not sure what possible issues this would cause however.

The newer fords are very tight, particulary on the front wheels. My 99 I had no problems chaining up all four wheels. My 09 has enough clearance on the back but the front is tight. I put larger tires on and it gave me a little more clearance but I will only chain up the fronts in an emergancy.

For tightners use the heavy duty rubber buniges that truck drivers use to tarp their loads. You can make your chains so tight with those they will never slip.

Don't let that stop you from going HUNTING.....get out the cutting torch and make a few minor adjustments..

This is all a product of the feminizing of the pickup truck. Trucks aren't trucks anymore.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

So very true 1911. The majority of people don't use trucks as trucks, they use them to run around town or to commute to work and want a smooth ride.

Ropinfool, you mean to be pulled with don't you?

OK. we're pushing the fun-ing aside...no more

As previously mentioned the problem is w/a pattern of making soft-suspension and other changes to a truck to make them more city-friendly.

What size tires to you have on it? My guess is you have 70 or 65 series tires on it (low profile and fat). My friend had the same problem on his Tundra. His solution, wear his tires out and put 95 series tires on it (tall and thin).

For this year, the solution has already been mentioned, only put the chains on if you have to or buy smaller ones.

John 14:6

LAST EDITED ON Oct-06-11 AT 09:00PM (MST)[p]It doesn't do you much good this year, but if you put a tire on in the type of profile like a 235/85 16 (tall and narrow), chains will fit on your truck. When your tires wear out, you could go to a dif profile/size. In fact, if you go to those tires, you may not need chains in the same situations that you do now (tall and thin is best in snow and mud)

I am not fond of a rim bigger than 16" as you loose sidewall flex. Sidewall flex is bad for handling but good for your truck's suspension (think of it as a recoil pad for your springs).

Your truck has 11" wide tires...that is your problem (25.4mm to the inch, theoretically, your tread is 275mm wide)...and I assume that they are tall.

I have no cheap fix for your truck...as tires are expensive, unless you get a set of wheels for the road, for just a hunting trip. You could possible find steel wheels fairly cheap.

According to Discount Tire, they make a 255/70 18 tire (20 mm or 3/4" narrower) possibly about the same height.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tirePlusSizes.do?v=019740|2011&r=COGINT|pc|81504

John 14:6

When you don't have much clearence you should go with those thin cable chains. You can go to www.vulcantire.com and get the info. You need a tire chain rated..S for very little clearence.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom