Tired of seeing 100 yard shots on the wasatch front!

BIGOLMULEY

I am sick of seeing guys just flinging arrows! Today I stalked down on a couple of good bucks from above after hiking forever I turn around and they are down low. So I get down there and see that a couple of trucks have shown up since I had started climbing in the dark. Oh well, that is hunting. The deer are acting nervous and I figure the guys are below them. I get into a place the deer may come out if they bust. Both bucks end up in a clearing 61 yards away. A shot I have made before, but due to the winds I pass. The deer then spook and go up the hill a little. 84 yards for me. I then see a guy come out of the trees (100 yards below me) draw his bow and fire. Ahhhh! could not believe it. I lost it and started yelling at him. He says "I have a 140 yard pin" Really? It got heated and he accused me of yelling and spooking the deer! I told him what did it matter he would shoot no matter how far they were. I got out of there before I did something I would regret.
Just getting tired of guys doing this. Seen it to much. We will lose this hunt if idiots continue on this path.

Jason
"The Big Ol' Muley"

Jason,
I applaude you for being the bigger person and not taking the shot. Lots of guys (including the one that you scolded) would have forced the issue and made a bad choice.
WVBOWAK

Judging distance is a lot harder on the mountain. Could be they just misjudged, but it seems to be a growing trend that people like to see how far out they can shoot a deer from. As if it were a target and there isn't any consequences to a bad shot. They may be able to hit a target from 100 or even 140, but out in the field there are a lot more variables.

I agree....With the equipment of today there are people that cant shoot over the horizon and be on target. Anyone with the practice can shoot far but it boils down to the sportsman, the hunter, and their respect for the animal to know what is a good shot and what is not. In abslolute perfect conditions, i have killed at 70 yds, But i have also passed on shots at 40 cause i knew it wasnt right.

I have a buddy who brags about his 150 yard kill shot on a big 3 point this year. he flung arrows until he hit the wrong buck, but spined him and dropped him dead right there. it was such a steep angle that TBR was abour 80 yards. That being said, shooting a buck from 150 yards is like trying to drive dimes at 50 yards. there are just so many variables with wind and the animal moving and jumping the string that you really shouldnt be shooting 150 yard shots.

With the surelock sight, it gave another one of my friends the ability to be dead on at 120 yards. he works at an archery shop and practices all day long and on the weekends we would aloways go out and shoot long distances...

he wacked a really good buck at 100 yards. hard to say that this was an unethical shot, because 100 is the new 50. with the new equipment and resolve to practice like we should, 100 is doable.

what drives me nuts is these kids shooting 300 grain arrows at 100 yards and wounding animals just because a magazine says their bow is capable of it. they dont understand what kind of kinetic energy it takes to push an arrow through a deer, or just to drive it into the boiler room.

This point has been discussed plenty but the fact remains that even a screamin fast bow leaves that arrow in the air for A FULL SECOND before it reaches the deer at 100 yards.

I like getting close with my bow and i like getting close with a rifle. I truly dont understand all this long range obsession.

To me if you love and respect these animals the way we should, you would want to get close enough to match wits with them.

Good on you for sayin something to that guy, he might think twice about it next time...

After reflecting on this incident and the posts (which I appreciate), I have calmed down. I was just really fired up. So I apologize for my rant.
There was no way however he could not tell his shot was beyond 100 yards. Also, the wind was terrible that day, and that should also have been a deterrent for the shot.
He was also shooting a older bow, (limbs were quite vertical) but I did notice his slider sight. I have one as well.
I also practice at well over 100 yards. I have killed deer just past 70 a time or two. But you have to have the perfect situation.
I hope that maybe he will think a bit before flinging another arrow. The Front is a awesome opportunity that I would hate to see lost.

Thanks,
Jason "The Big Ol' Muley"

I had a the same thing happen to me and a friend of mine.We had just broke over the ridge when down below us we saw 2 good bucks.I have shot a few animals however my friend had not so I told him to go for it so we waited and the bucks started to come towards us when all of the sudden the we heard and saw an arrow hit and scare the bucks off.when the kid came from behind the bush I couldnt belive how far away he was when we made it to where the bucks where I ranged the bush the was behind and it 165yds I could not belive that he had the the right mind to even shoot at those bucks needless to say my friend is eating tag soup.I am not saying that it was a slam dunk for my friend to get one of those bucks however they was heading towards so thanx to the missle launcher I guess we will never know....''So please before you shoot ask yourself should i really be taking this shot''

Im not trying to start a fight and I agree with you on alot of what you said. BUt... How can you get mad and yell at someone for taking a 100 yard shot when you just told us you have shot deer(a time or two) at 70+ yards???? Doesn't make alot of sense to me.

Most people would think the same of you for shooting 70+ yards.

People could think that I agree. I am admitting that I lost my cool. I should not of acted that way. But..... 70 yards at a broadside, not spooked, no wind shot at a deer is a far cry from a 100+ yards shot at a spooked, very windy shot at a deer. Like I said in my post earlier, I had shots at 60 ish yards at those bucks (not spooked) but passed due to the wind.
We all have the right to hunt the way we wish, if it is within the laws. This dude had the right to fling the arrow, but that is what is was a fling.
I did not handle the situation correctly and I regret that. This situation will have me think even more when shot opportunities come.
Thanks for the comments,
Jason
"The Big Ol' Muley"

Oh heck,
I can't even see 100 yards thru my peep well enough to hit vitals. 60 is long on deer for me but you all must have better eyes than me.
Good hunting,
Mike

I geuss it comes down to how hard you want to make it. For me Bowhunting is getting in close! I love the rush when a 180 buck stands up at 40 yards! You can hear his every move! Thats why I put my rifle down. It's just not the same at that range (100+ yards). Can a guy kill somthing that far with his bow? Yes. But why try? Thats not what Bowhunting is about. Being right on top of him when he does not know your there! Thats what it's about.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Long shots of 70 yards+ are so unrealistic to me.
You see I shoot a recurve and I only pull 51#
It must seem like a sling shot or a spear to some of you guys!
Someone bring me up to speed on the energy these light arrows have at these long ranges. Don't they leach enough speed to be less than deadly at some point? I'm not being judgemental in the least. I have been out of the compound information curve for a good while.I have seen sights with 7 pins and heard about 60-70 yard shots at elk and don't have a clue how they get penitration on such large critters.
Deer and goats being much smaller I can see that a kill shot could be done with a good hit even at longer range.
I may make an attempt to get back into a "string gun" for an elk hunt in the near feature. I can't pull much more weight with any comfort with a recurve. I am looking at a Bow Tec Admiral or a Methews Z7 in a 60# draw weight at 29"
Any subgestions on witch bow is a better choise and what arrow weigh(total) would do the job?
Griz

The Bowtech Admiral is what I'd go with. And I would not want to be shooting an arrow that is less then 380grains. And a G5 Striker to top it off. But thats just me.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I shot a buck this year at 162 yards and it seemed miles away.

This was with my scoped inline muzzleloader. Couldn't imagine that shot with a bow!

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-10 AT 02:10PM (MST)[p]You want a 400+ grain arrow/ broadhead combo. you want to be shooting at speeds upwards of 280 to be able to effecctively kill a deer at longer yardages.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom