TIRES THAT WEAR???

elkassassin

Long Time Member
Gonna be needing another set of Tires for DIRTY-MAX before long!

This Tire Eatin SOB is Eatin Tires like SMACKDADDY is going through His Munchies!

The 1st Set I Bought & Run were Toast at 10K!

The Last 2 Sets I've bought/Run were the BRIDGESTONE BLIZZAKS & they've been a little better!

I'm looking for some that'll Run 1/2 as long as the Tires that kilo Runs!:D

I also bought a Set of BF GOODRICH Commercial All Season Tires,paid extra to get the 'Commercial Tires' & they are Weather Checking before the Tread is gone,WAFJ!

Post up Good or Bad with whatever Brands You Guys have tried/Run in recent years!

We laugh, we cry, we love
Go hard when the going's tough
Push back, come push and shove
Knock us down, we'll get back up again and again
We are Members of the Huntin Crowd!

Michelins LTX ran the longest and had the best ride,but not the best on these NM muddy roads.

Plain Wranglers lasted a yr.then fell apart...loaded up w/mud.

1st set of Dura-tracs worked great,but started coming apart after a year.
2nd set has lasted 2 years and has tons of tread left and in good condition. Excellent on these NM roads and all over. Siped.
Kinda noisy on hwy,but I can still hear other brands going by.
Next set will be Kevlar versions.

I have found that buying tires with a strong sidewall always hold up better than some cheaper grade tire and they always look low on tire pressure.

You won't find the tread life kilo is getting on his tires. They discontinued those in 1984.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON May-16-15 AT 07:41AM (MST)[p]I've had good luck with Cooper Discovery s/t Maxx. I believe the side walls are 10 ply.

My son and I both run B F Goodrich all terrain T/A's on our 2500 duramax's and usually get 60,000 miles or close. I am getting close to needing a new set and am thinking of researching a cheaper way to go. probably a mistake but tires are pricey!We are mostly highway driving with a few trips a year where we put 100 miles at a time on gravel or rock roads.
J_T_B

Michelins and every time I Change my oil ( every 5,000 miles.)I get the front end aligned ( pay for the lifetime at firestone its worth it!.) and tires rotated and balanced. I get more miles on the tires than the warranty.

I've found that driving under 55 mph on the freeway extends tire life.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Damn JTB I'm at 45k on the BFG all terrains on my F-150
And they are done.

"The State of Utah has not given BGF anything.
They have invested in BGF to protect their
interests."
Birdman 4/15/15

Soon as I seen this thread I knew Bessy would just have to add my name to subject.
Bess buy good tires, and not with a C Rating and quip trying to make turns on the road on just 2 tires touching pavement. JUST SLOW DOWN... the job ain't going anywhere till you get it done.

Better yet, take that belcher out of 4wheel drive and unlock the hubs...you don't need them while driving on highway or streets...just saying!

J_T_B hit the nail on the head.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Good thread. Keep it coming ,I am looking at tires before hunting season.I have had good luck with the Michilens as well. Any tire rotated regularly will help the life. Don't use Kuhmo. They are being advertised more. Had one blow out a sidewall on an f350 in phoenix in the heat......BULL!

Check into the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs. My tundra has put 30k on them. They look about half wore out. Hoping to get 50k+ out of them.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-15 AT 00:12AM (MST)[p]Just finished a set of Nitto Terra Grapplers at 35k. Replaced with the newer Terra Grappler G2 w50k warranty. Time will tell. My '05 F350 has always been hard on tires.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-15 AT 07:11AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON May-17-15 AT 07:11?AM (MST)

ghetto-atv-rims.jpg

It is a dichotomy of sorts for me when buying tires. I hate imports as bad as union thugs. That said I always put the dollar in the American pocket as best as the market allows.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

Bess, I've been running Nitto's on my 3/4 ton GMC Utility about as long as i've been a member here. I'm on my second set, 3+ years old, aggressive looking 10 ply Trail Grapplers, I still got half tred anyway.

The Terra Grapplers, moderate aggressive, that were on there before i bought the truck, i got at least 4 years out of them, best, longest lasting tires i ever had. Never had a issue, great traction, no flats, no nothing. IMO, heck of a tire, period. When you throw in the cost savings over similar tires, it's a wonderment to me how more guys don't go Nitto.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Hello Kilowat......I live on a State highway and only go on gravel or worse occasionally. I rotate my tires at 6000 miles or close. The rotating is important. The road surface is what wears most tires out.
J_T_B

Try the Hankook dynapro ATM. I've heard really good things about them. That's what will probably be going on my dirtymax next.

I also have the Nitto Terra Grapplers. I'm just barely over 30,000 miles on them with my Durmax. I will need new tires here in the next couple months. They have lasted as good as anything else I've tried, maybe just a tad better.

>Toyo open country AT II's
>
>O--one
>B--big
>A--ass
>M--mistake
>A--america
>
>

Amen muzz!
I didn't know a truck tire lasted that long until I used them.
Zeke

>Try the Hankook dynapro ATM. I've
>heard really good things about
>them. That's what will probably
>be going on my dirtymax
>next.

I have these in 275/65/20 on my truck, great tire. Smooth, super quiet and they are wearing great so far. 50k mileage warranty through discount.

2a0fcsk.gif

Anybody remember Armstrong Truetracks?

They were awesome pulling tires, climb most any hill, kicking out clods and even looking good on a cleaned up rig for Fri-Sat. nights on the town.

You didn't usually get very many miles out of them, 10K was about normal, soft rubber i guess. We were lucky to get a hunting season from a new set but if you got stuck, it weren't the tires fault. :)

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

>Hello Kilowat......I live on a State
>highway and only go on
>gravel or worse occasionally. I
>rotate my tires at 6000
>miles or close. The rotating
>is important. The road surface
>is what wears most tires
>out.
> J_T_B

Most threads contain a little BS......But "The road surface
>is what wears most tires
>out." makes alot of sense! LOL John

>>Hello Kilowat......I live on a State
>>highway and only go on
>"The road surface
>>is what wears most tires
>>out." makes alot of sense! LOL John

I try to never actually let my tires touch the road surface. It comes in handy to have a hovercraft.

[font color="blue"]I don't make the soup,I just stir it.[/font]

Bessy says"
Anybody remember Armstrong Truetracks?

They were awesome pulling tires, climb most any hill, kicking out clods and even looking good on a cleaned up rig for Fri-Sat. nights on the town.

Bessy, that is what I changed to on my first 4x4 back in 1976 when I got my new '76 GMC 1/2T std bed 4 speed stick. With the "granny gear" in first I could climb some nasty hills and come back down off the hill the way I went up. My bro was holding on to the dash as I put it in granny and let it go on its on. Did a few "skips on rocks" but still got down to the bottom of Fish Creek in Wyo back then. Don't remember how many miles I got out them but then Armstrong changed their pattern and I went to a different tires.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Kilo. that was me that asked about the Armstrong's. I too had them on my first 4X4, also a 1/2 ton 76 Chev shortbed Fleetside with a 4 speed tranny. I got over 300,K out of that motor without babying it, best truck i ever had or will have. Had lots of outa state muley hunts, in state hunting, fishing, and camping trips, that rig would go anywhere i dared to point her and never left me stuck or broken down so i couldn't get home.

Joey

My 76 also came with the Armstrong's on it as well!

Back when a Truck had a little Metal in the Body!

Pay Real Close attention & Listen at 3:30!:D

Bess, if there's one thing that i don't regret, it's that i never owned a Dodge. ;-)

Joey

Hey Uncle sage!

On Certain Years they've all took their Turn at JUNK & at Good Rigs!

Never seen a Ford or a Chevy that could Pull a Load & get the Mileage of a Decent Dodge CUMMINS!

Gotta be the Right year of Dodge!

They can make you Inhale Uncle Sage!:D

Bess, I never judged a man by how fast he could go down the road in a work truck, never did. I cared a lot more about if he was there on time when he was supposed to be! lol

Joey

And to get there on time...................!

You'd Best have a Decent Running Rig!:D

Well Yeah! lol, and that's why i stick to what i know works. I'm no truck snob but i like my old Chevys. Their easy to work on, if they need it, and they always seem to get me there and back.

If i had the money, i don't know if i'd get a newer rig. I might get a nicer old truck, but not a new one.

Bess, you should see the new Chevy truck Larrbo bought. It cost over twice what i paid for my home 3 years ago. Very Nice, but not for this ol boy.

Joey

No Fords, No Trailer, lol. Very modest home, corner lot with nice shop. Best part, all what you see and that what you can't is all paid for.

8892myhome.jpg

The Tan truck has Coopers on it. Jury is still out on how i like them.

Joey

Toyo mt's 30,000 miles and still plenty of tread .and its not a girly chick tire. J/k they have a new r/t that comes with a 40k warranty

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom