Tires?

• Thread starter monroemtnshedfreak
  • Start date
M

monroemtnshedfreak

I know this does not have much to do with hunting, but what tires would you guys suggest? I drive a 99 f150 with 305/70/16's on it. I am looking for an aggressive tire. Just curious to see what you guys think.

The tires I have on my ranger are perfect, I have a 3 body lift with 15x10 eagle alloys. On those I am running MudTerrain T/A's at 35x12.50R16.5/D

-Cass

the most aggressive tire on the market is the bogger by super swamper/interco. they're not cheap and won't last very long on the asphalt, but they look cool. i've got 33" bfg mud terrains on my f-250 and they perform very well and last a long time. you might also check out the goodyear mtr.

cass, i've got 2 questions for you: how do you fit 35" tires on a ranger with only 3" of lift? you say you have 35x12.50r16.5 tires, ok how do you get those to fit on a 15" wheel?

I have to tell you I like BFGoodrich all terraine but I personally would only get 20000 miles per set I have recently switched to Goodyear MTR verry agressive and expensive I run
315\75\16 ford f250 superduty

LAST EDITED ON Jun-01-04 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]cooper mud terrains- they provide good traction, are quieter than bfg's, and they wear better. also one of the very few tires i've run on my jeep that i haven't punched a hole in a sidewall. i use them on my jeep, my truck , and my company truck.

REMEMBER

Cass RUNS A BAD ASS FORD RANGER WITH 15" RIMS WITH 16.5 TIRES,YOU CAN CHANGE EM YOURSELF WITH TWO SCREWDRIVERS BUT REMEMBER THE FIX A FLAT,IT TAKES A FEW CANS TO GET THE AIR IN!!!

&

oldoregon RUNS A BAD ASS S-10 CHEVY WITH 36"ERS ON A TWO WHEEL DRIVE BAD BOY!!!

ALOT OF COMPETITION HERE!!!

FORD VS. CHEVY = Cass VS. oldoregon,GO FIGURE!!!

WHICH ONE OF YOU HAVE THE BIGGEST TIRES MOUNTED ON THE SMALLEST RIMS???

THE ONLY bobcat THINKING SUPER SWAMPERS & BUCKSHOT MUDDERS 'STUDDED FOR MORE TRACTION'!!!

It don't matter what tire you decide on, just get yourself one of them "Saftey Seal" kits to jab one of those plugs into the tire, and a mini air compressor that plugs into the lighter.
It has saved my ass countless times!
EVERYONE should have one!

Because it's got a
1) 3" body lift
2) 3 in blocks in the rear
3) rancho rs5000 shocks
4) 3.5" fabtech lift spindles
5) 2" add a leaf springs in rear
;)

-Cass

Yeah, but Cass, you can't run a 16.5" tire on a 15" rim? Take a look at your previous post guy, may have been type O, or a brain fart, don't know.

H.W.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-04 AT 02:24AM (MST)[p]Oops, I didn't even notice that. Thanks for the reminder.

-Cass

my present tires are goodyear wrangler durawalls. have about 55000 miles on em. not one flat. never even had to plug one. they're about wore out, but i'll run em another 10000. last set were BFG all terrains. ran them 72000. a lot of it is on pavement, but spend enough time in crap country to give em a good workout. mine are 285/75-16's. E rating. here at work, we've started putting the durawalls on almost exclusively on any 4x4. use some BFG's still too. haven't heard of one problem out of the ordinary. i don't think you can go wrong with either tire.

When picking tires it all depends on what your going to use them for. It also depends how heavy your vehicle weighs. With a 16 inch rim I wouldn't except anything less than a load range E tire. In the terrain I hunt in anything less just pops. In my experience the fancy tires are only good for 2 things, looks and impressing the girls. I run a Michelin 265 16's load range E and have 40,000 miles on them without a single flat.

Seems like every year this subject comes up for discussion.

I have been with a friend on a number of times when he was driving his rig with very large oversized tires and thinking he was safe for the area driving in and needless to say, has been stuck in mud so damn deep it was right up to the axle housing.
Two other times in MT had the back window in shell completely shattered from someone trying to get him out of the snow and the last time we were stuck in a frozen creek bed as he could not get traction and bust through the ice, and we were at least 5 miles from any major road.

I remember years ago back in Colorado when a talked with a local rancher and he told me, "we are always pulling you out-of state hunters" out of the ditch, snow, mud etc. If the maker of those pickups wanted big tires on them, they would have done it at the factory. How many times have you, referring to me, have you seen a local rancher with his narrow standard height tires on his pickup STUCK? Told him I have not seen this happened.

I keep the standard size tire on every truck (pu) I have had since then and have not been stuck or had any trouble in snow or ice.

Yes, I agree the trucks look good with a decent size tire and fancy wheels, but when it is time to go hunting, replace them with a standard size tire with good traction lugs and you won't have trouble UNLESS you don't use your head in tricky situations in the field.

My 2 cents worth on this subject.

Brian

Don't know if you have a Les Schwab Tire in your area, but their Radial TXR is fairly aggressive, wears well, and the customer service is excellent no matter what store or what state you are in, even if you didn't buy the tire there. Have a set on both of my trucks and can't complain. If you can buy a set just for hunting, Radial Buckshot Mudder. Awesome in the snow. But take em off when done hunting as pavement eats them. mtmuley

good call brian!
I am a fan of the BF's. I've had Mud Terrains and the all terrains, the mud terrains look great, but they don't last past about 20k miles and if you're running them on a diesle probably half that. I have had good luck with the all-terrains, you should be able to get 50k miles out of them or around 30k on a diesle. If you want a good tire that gets traction in the snow and mud--go with a narrow mud terrain or MTR. The only time a wide tire works well is if you're in sand.

Shedfreak,
I didn't read your name before I posted--I have a cabin on Monroe and haven't seen a whole lot of sand up there so definately go with the narrow Mud Terrain's!

you are right quickdrawkinker, there is no sand on monroe. Where are you from? I ran some durango m/t's on my old truck, they were some diggin sob's, but I just didn't get the mileage out of them that I wanted only about 20K. another problem I have is I am only 19, so of course I am still trying to impress the splittales. that is why I run 305's on my truck instead of 255's.

the bfg mud terrains i've got have 20k miles on them now and are still have about 50% of the tread.

Shedfreak,
I live in Cedar, but my dad is from Monroe so we have always hunted up there at our cabin that's in Monroe Meadows--it's the first cabin you see off to the left when you turn off the main road into the meadows--if you spend any time up there at all I'm sure you know exactly which one I'm talking about. Back to the tires and splittales though--just keep it in the grooves and keep your momentum up, don't try to bounce to hard out of the ruts--you'll find that it works great with both the splittales and any old tire!

I read that about ten minutes ago and I just finally quit laughing! Thanks for the advice.

No sweat bro, by chance have you been over Monroe yet? My dad tried to get up there about 2-1/2 weeks ago and made it to within walking distance of the cabin, but there was still some pretty heavy duty drifts to cross, maybe he should have barrowed Cass's ranger from him. I think I may have seen Cass the other day in Cedar. I spotted a ranger that had 35's on it and I was thinking to myself, self why in the world would anyone ever put that kind of money into a lift, tires, and wheels on a truck that isn't powerful enough to push it all? It puzzled me for a minute or two I must admitt, but now it all makes sense. I'm sure it has a sooped up stroker modified to fit a ranger that will roast those 35's and blow the doors off anything on the road or track for that matter.

I am sure he can get in there now, it has been hot as hell up here! I went up the other side(cove) on sunday and got to christensen springs just fine. christensen springs can't be much lower than the meadows. Atleast CASS is smart enough to drive a ford!

No actually my ranger has plently of power to go anywhere.
it's puttin out about 305 hp.

-Cass

Not twice the power but sure why not :)
Hot water bypass, Flowmaster 40series, K&N air filter, JBA headers, Granatelli Mass airflow sensor, few more mods :)

-Cass

YA,I JUST FOUND OUT

BLOWED TO ##CK!!!

NEW 03 DODGE WITH VERY FEW MILES ON IT AND THE TIRE BLOWED THE SIDEWALL OUT WHILE PARKED IN THE DRIVE WAY!!!

I AIN'T NEVER HAD THIS HAPPEN BEFORE!!!

THE DEALER NOR THE MANUFACTURER WILL WARRANT THE TIRE,PRETTY PISS POOR IF YOU ASK ME???

IF THE WARRANTY IS NO BETTER THAN THIS THEY(B F GOODRICH) CAN KEEP THEIR TRASH!!!

THE ONLY bobcat THAT THOUGHT B F GOODRICH'S WERE BETTER THAN THIS!!!

They aren't, If the tire store doesn't warranty the tire your screwed. BFG's are over rated huncks of sh!t.

I agree with Duvy, 1 out of 4 of the BF's is outta round and they don't have a road hazzard warranty, the best one for a warranty is a Cooper brand and they do stand by them till the end, I have actually ran them till the steel was showing and they still kept going, my work truck goes on at least 150 mi of dirt a day and we run all steel Good Yr 151's they never go flat until the last 25% of tread life toughest tire they make for the money and I get at least 30k a set runnin the dirt roads, beats changin a flat every other day.

>Anyone know what the B.F. in
>B.F.Goodrich stands for?

Yep............Bastard French........because Goodrich is owned by Michelin and Michelin's a French-owned company. Used to run Mud Terrain 33's. No more.

have a 01 150 screw and have 265/75/16 pro comp m/t with no lift and they work great also have 73 cj5 with 33' radial claws like them too . just find what you like and go with it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom