To a good season

mevertsen

Very Active Member
Deer, Elk and Antelope seasons are all well underway.

I have an archery deer tag myself and am getting ready to head to the hills behind the house with my wife and daughter to enjoy a day in the hills and hopefully find a deer or two to chase.

Its been a rough year personally, so this is a nice break, and I am really looking forward to it.

Here's to a blessed, safe and bountiful season for all the Nevada hunters!

Twas a good day. Pretty worn out after only getting out of the hospital on the 8th.

My wife and 8-year-old daughter came out with me today.

My wife found 2 little bucks right away as they were heading into another canyon. We continued to spot as the morning progressed, not finding any more bucks by 730.

We then went into the canyon we saw the small bucks go into and had a 4 point go across the road in front of us as we were driving to where we thought might see the other deer. No opportunity at that one.

I parked the Toyota a few minutes later and immediately spotted the two bucks (plus one more which showed up) up and feeding. We watched them over the next 3o minutes, until they finally bedded down hard above a small rock pile.

I was going to give it a go, not worried about the trophy, but I needed to just get out and truly hunt after the way this year has been.

I left my wife with the spotter at 0830. At 1030, I topped out and could see the one long rock pile the "red" deer walked along before bedding down.

I guessed I was within 200 yards of the deer at this point. I had no cover other than some rocks and elevation to my favor.

I kept picking it apart, I could see where the deer would have bedded. I had a huge open basin in front of me...

No deer. I was finally to the last rock pile before the one they bedded above, and could see where they bedded, but no deer.

I drew and peaked over the rock - no deer.

I glassed - at last than 50 yards - no deer. I scanned again, scanned back to the spot where the deer bedded, and the red one was standing broadside.

I let one fly. I was guessing 25 with the angle, I was off. The crack of the arrow hitting the rock was like a gunshot.

Hope the photos make sense as I have to add them from my phone.

They were bedded just above and to the left of the rock pile in the middle of the spotting scope.
My arrow.
The shot with my bow at my feet shows a little white stick in the scree slide. That stick is where he was standing.
The last couple are where these guys bedded.

My wife watched the shot from the truck. 2.5 hours of sitting behind a spotter, knowing where the deer bedded (she actually watched the red deer bed down), and she never did see the deer again until they stood up before my shot.

Word of advice for those who have not hunted archery mule deer a lot. If you are certain the deer are, trust it. They likely are. Even the young bucks will hold and hold and hold.
Happens to me just about every year. Absolutely amazing how tight they will hold in brush that doesn't seem like it could hide a squirrel.

We were back home by 2, lol.

I am beat. My body is beat. But I needed this hunt with my family. This is the best day I have had in quite a while. I feel certainly blessed that I was able to do this.

P.S. I almost turned this tag in. On July 28th, I got a call and had to check myself into the U of U Hospital for 10 days for treatment for my kidney transplant. I printed out the return form for my wife to drop off on her way home that Tuesday.
As we were walking out the door, I threw the paper in the trash and pinned the tag back on the cork board. I have turned two tags in before due to medical. I was hunting this one.

Photos.

Also, the bow my dad made in 1974 in high school.

20230812_105751.jpg

20230812_105344.jpg

20230812_080733.jpg

20230812_110029.jpg

20230812_110027.jpg

Good luck to all lucky enough to hunt in NV! I am fortunate enough to tag along with a friend for the muzzy deer hunt, then a couple more friends for the end of the rifle hunt in November. Hopefully be able to help out a few others along the way. Even though I don't have a tag of my own this year, I am looking forward to another enjoyable fall in my favorite state.-------SS

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom