To break or not to break?

thepenquin

LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-10 AT 08:06AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-24-10 AT 08:04?AM (MST)

Subject shoud read "To brake or not to brake". My bad. Hooked on Phonics program got lost in the mail.:7

Thinking about having a break installed on my 300WM so the wife can get to work with it and get used to it for her Utard big stinky dream hunt this year. I really don't want to piss around with any other caliber however I want her to try three rifles from the arsenal (280, 7mm, and 300WM) and have her choose the most comfortable and be confident with the rifle. I do know that her 25-06 will not be going on this hunt.This is a once in a lifetime experience, we want a big hole and lots of blood. I'm hoping she will take the 300 that is why I'm posting this.Looking for pros and cons on the matter. Also where is a good place to get the work done in or close to SLC? Is it possible to get one that is removeable like the BOSS or Accumark ones do?

Hell, maybe we'll go gun shopping instead? Not likely, but a new rifle could/would be a hand me down for me after this hunt.:D I think I'm on to something now. I would love an accumark in 300 Roy or 30-378 Roy or a Rem Sendero in 300 ultra or??
Thanks guys.

I wouldn't brake a .300 I think most people can handle it, and the noise is worse than the recoil.

My wife hunts with a pretty light 300 win mag and she's a small gal. I never have her shoot it unless she's hunting and she shoots it very well and doesn't fear it at all. I have another rifle just like it in 270 and thats the one I have her practice with, works great.

LAST EDITED ON May-02-10 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]I'd brake the 300 wm. I don't think she will enjoy shooting the thing without the brake at all.

I've had a few brakes put on by Barnes Bullet mfg and they do a really nice job, and they are pretty close to you. I think they just moved to a new place, so I'm not sure of the address. Still not too far away. Should cost about $150.

My wife has an LE tag in Utah as well, and I have a .300 Win Mag I'm going to try to get her to shoot. It has a brake on it, and my kids shoot it just fine. Wife shoots a 25-06 for deer, and if she doesn't like the .300 we'll be taking the elk with the .25-06. Seen plenty of them killed with a 25 but would rather have a little more lead going at a big bull.

DeerBeDead

LAST EDITED ON May-02-10 AT 05:52PM (MST)[p]Just make sure to wearing hearing protection when hunting..ouch!!

Why not get her a 270 or even a 06 instead?

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.

yes, you should wear hearing protection when shooting a rifle whether it has a muzzle brake or not.

I am living proof that hearing protection is more important than any shot, or any animal you could take. I've been hearing impaired for my entire life, and have to wear hearing aids to be able to hear normal conversation. I recommend wearing hearing protection even when shooting at game animals. There is no animal on earth that I wouldn't trade to be able to hear normally. I like to wear battery powered muffs that enhance the sounds, while cutting out damaging noise while hunting. On the bench, I wear plugs and muffs at the same time. I have to protect what little hearing I have left.

DeerBeDead

If you are going to add a brake, I would research the Gentry Quiet Brake. The holes are angled forward to reduce the local noise to the shooter, BUT I would still not fire it without hearing protection even when hunting.

I have Brakes on all (3) my 30-378's and I love them, Brake it for her IMO

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Having a 338Rum it bruised me pretty good with the original pad so i changed that and it helped some,this year i decided to get a break,i did some checking and found noise was a big issue also i like to tape my muzzle when i hunt,would of had to take it off and put on thread protector.What i finally seteled on was a Limbsaver slip on recoil pad.Bought one for each gun i have tested on 2 rifles so far, one a 338win mag helped quite a bit have not yet tested on 338rum. Will probably use slipon plus shoulder pad when practicing with 338Rum.

Have her use the .280 with good 150 gr bullets. My son's taken 3 with mine, all 1 shot kills. Actually his first was 3 shots, all kill shots but I'd told him, "If it's still movin, shoot it again." And he did although it was dead in it's tracks, just strugglin to try to get up. Basically every time he shoots that gun, I head his way cause something died.

I just bought an axiom stock with the recoil suppression system for my 300WSM for the same reason, so my wife and daughter could shoot it. It definitely loosened up my groups but the recoil is now like a light 20 ga. I havent had them shoot it yet, but I think it was worth it, I dont like brakes for the noise, loss of velocity, etc... They ring your bell for sure, I am never thinking ahead enough to bring ear muffs up the mountain. I need to play with it some more to see if I can get the groups a little more consistent, it is getting about 2-2 1/2 in groups at 200yds which I can live with for them to hunt. Anyone else try this set-up?

My wife won a .300 Winnie at an Elk banquet a few years ago. We also won $250 worth of gunsmithing...had the stock shortened and a brake installed.

Very much worth the effort for her. She is kind of a runt at 5'3" and did not like the kick of my Sendero at all. Her gun...different story; video of her shooting it shows very little muzzle flip.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom