Too Hot to Hold, Fresh Roasted!!

Blank

Long Time Member
One amazing pile of goodness right there!!

47B2C835-84D0-4325-BB93-C58D88A5A396_1_201_a.jpeg

Very nice! It is that time of year. Those look ready to go. I always put mine in a sealed tupperwear for 30 minutes or so, fresh off the roaster. At that point, they practically peel themselves.

Our local grocery fire-roasts them right outside the store in the parking lot, for about 3 weeks. Seals them in an inner bag, then puts that in another white plastic bag. By the time you get home with them, they are still too hot to handle and they have steamed themselves clean!!!

Yep, let them sweat and they peel themselves. Ever do bell peppers?? We've started doing them at home. I have a small roaster, but have done plenty on a gas grill. Peeled bell peppers, a little garlic and olive oil and you have one incredible sandwich spread, suitable for any stomach.

I love it! It really is the best time of the year for food. This will be the first time I will go to Hatch, NM to buy them. Normally I go to our grocery store like you and someone is in the parking lot roasting them. My friend has family in Cuidad Juarez and El Paso and he makes the trip every month or so and I will tag along this time and Hatch is half way for us.

What chili do you get? I load up on medium and hot. I tried the mild once and it was very mild, almost like a bell pepper. The medium I use to snack on right out of the fridge and the hot for salsa and to cook with food and provides me with the right amount of heat to make my nose run a little and not yet sweat. There are a few more after the hot, but those are too hot for me.

I was hoping for the mild, as the wife doesn't do spicy stuff. Last year I got a half case, and wanted a full one this year. I talked to them and the mild crop didn't happen this year and everything is either medium or hot. Talked to friends down there also, and they said they can't even get mild locally! What??

Anyway, tried them and they are perfect for me. Will have to do more blends with jack cheese or milder stuffings, to get them toned down for the girls, but I'm sure I can find something.

The older I get, the more milder I like. I grow Big Jims or, being from southern Colorado, I go buy Pueblo chili. I've done Anaheim as well and they work for me. For everyday, bell peppers make a good spread for many things, and are welcomed by those who don't like heat at all.. I make a sandwich of homemade bread with cheese on one slice and pepper spread on the other. Toast both sides individually and then put together and eat. Good stuff!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom