Took a Shot at the One shot and already getting blow back…

elks96

Long Time Member
I threw this letter together for the local opinion section of our news. I have sent it around the state for others to run, but so far only our local paper has run the letter….

So far the response has been predictable for those supporting the hunt…. Have had a couple people contact me that had no idea about the hunt and they live here….

Here is a link to the letter. It was hard as most require a limit of words etc.

Good for you Elks. I have no dog in this fight. You put yourself out there publicly and stated your case.

Good job. Hopefully your letter raises more awareness of this ridiculous s*** show. Have you thought about sending it to other newspapers? Very well-worded.

“Our understanding is that our 80 tags do not have an impact on the overall drawing odds,” he said. “That’s what we’ve been told by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, and that’s what we believe.”

Well, that's a bunch of BS. How could anyone believe that 80 tags doesn't make any difference in the drawing odds for the average hunter?

The other thing Lewis should keep in mind is the statute that establishes the tags.

I was in the room and attended those committee hearings, both interim and at the legislature, when the statute was negotiated, talked about, and eventually passed. It states that when pronghorn tags are reduced and herds are below objective the one shot tags are the first to go.

While it is true that the tags reduce draw odds for the rest of us, it's also true the commission should be cutting those tags and following statute.

I just keep throwing it out there. We know the truth, it is just a matter of getting enough people to understand the issue…

The numbers don’t add up. 80 prime antelope tags with a banquet and an auction and money raised relatively insignificant.

The number of tags is very significant and when the draw odds drop this year it will highlight the issue even more. When residents realize that the new draw odds are under 10% and more likely 5% ish in this area the issue will be even more magnified…

“Our understanding is that our 80 tags do not have an impact on the overall drawing odds,” he said. “That’s what we’ve been told by the Wyoming Game and Fish Department, and that’s what we believe.”

Well, that's a bunch of BS. How could anyone believe that 80 tags doesn't make any difference in the drawing odds for the average hunter?
Your right on the money also it doesn't matter what percentage it lowers the draw odds those 80 tags should be in common folks pockets period

Last edited:
Your right on the money also it doesn't matter what percentage it lowers the draw odds those 80 tags should be in common folks pockets period

What is the breakdown of the tags given out?
Res/NR?? I am sure it swung in the NR direction. Not acceptable in this new climate.

Those tags need to be in the regular draw and allocated to residents. Just call it reparations for past injustices.

Res/NR?? I am sure it swung in the NR direction. Not acceptable in this new climate.

Those tags need to be in the regular draw and allocated to residents. Just call it reparations for past injustices.
I'm assume they're taken right off the top of the quota before it's split but I don't know for sure

Last edited:
I just keep throwing it out there. We know the truth, it is just a matter of getting enough people to understand the issue…
Good on you Rob, it's far from time to concede to what a former Commissioner called a bunch of "knuckle dragging Neanderthals" aka One Shot good ole' boys!

They are separate tags. They claim they don’t affect the allocation. Even sat in a local
Meeting where the local game and fish claimed the tags do not affect the allocations at all…

I know this, from 2008-2018 93% of all the tags went to non residents. It might have gotten a little better recently after all they have let a token females hunt…

Last edited:

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom