tooth data

broadfork

I killed a bear in 2007, and was wondering how I can find out how old he was. I looked on the Idaho fish and game site, but can't find a link. Does anyone know where to find out?

Good luck man, I shot a buck this year that I wanted to have aged. A wildlife biologist at the south nampa office told me it was 4-7 years old. 4 to 7 really?, I could have narrowed it down more than that. They told me that if I wanted to know for sure I'd have to look online for a deer tooth aging kit. So good luck.

idaho fish and game isn't that high tech yet... thats why there increasing license fees so they can save up and buy A computer...:) im shocked they gave ya an estimate that close...i would have been lookin for something like " well it looks like somewhere betwween when it was born and when you shot it" or " we have bears !!" :) more approprate

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-09 AT 07:31PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-09 AT 07:30?PM (MST)

I would call the nampa F&G office and see if they could get you in touch with a biologist.

It takes about a year to get bear and lion teeth processed by the lab we use. The year time frame starts a few months after the close of the season (teeth are collected and held to send in one large batch and takes a while to get the teeth from all the various collection points - field COs, taxidermists, etc.).

I try to send out post cards to hunters when I get the data back, but at least in my case, I've fallen behind somewhat.
2007 bear data became available late last summer.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

I'm glad that I posted on here. Tom Keegan from Salmon Idaho fish and game got me the info I wanted. My bear was a seven year old. Thanks for your help Tom

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom