Top / best guide for elk AZ

H

highhunt

I could use some advice; I have enough points to draw any unit in AZ for elk in 2012.

Can you give me some thoughts on the best guides out there for big elk in the top AZ units?

Thanks!

There's some great guides out there. The more consistant guides I see take great bulls are from McClendon, Mullins, and Chappell!

You probably would do yourself a favor by mentioning units. Alot of guides are very successful but it tends to be more unit specific. The names mentioned are top notch along with others like Duwane Adams units 1/27. Mullins sticks with a few units as do alot of other guides. Trying to be consistently successful in 6-10 is tough........ Thanks, Allen Taylor......

Sorry. Looking at 10 early for my first and maybe only choice. 23N is also one I could draw in 2012. Thanks!

For units 23 and 10 look to Jared Nichols. His web site is nicholsguidingservice.com. You cant go wrong with him.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-11 AT 09:36AM (MST)[p]There are several great elk guides in Arizona. It's a matter of an individuals opinion or perspective. It's all subjective & not measurable, kind of like the question, "who is the hottest woman in the world?".

With that being said, these guys have tossed out some good names. There are still a few more and I am sure a couple others that I can't think of. A lot depends on the Unit, the time of year, hunting style preference and so on...

One of my personal pet peeves is how they treat others while out in the field, but then again I don't use a guide when I have a tag. FYI- I have met DIY hunters that are big jerks & pigs too, so this is in no way a stab at guides.

Again, some of the above are good answers, in my opinion.

Thanks,
Craig S.

http://OutdoorsmansResourceGuide.com

LAST EDITED ON Nov-06-11 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]I can tell you that Craig is one fine man and hunter as he helped me in unit ten this year! His resource guide is also something u should look at. By the way Craig I am not always that slow as besides my back I was having a heart attack that whole hunt. Getting open heart now

If you decide on Unit 10, you should consider High Point Outfitters. I've known Kevin for 20 years, and he's hunted and guided in 10 for longer than that.

They've had great success recently, too with a 400 bull this year and a 380+ bull last year. Here's his website:
http://www.highpointoutfitters.net/

Bob

If you want a guide that has absolutely no ego and is one of the nicest guys you will ever meet then go with steve chappell. He knows the top units as good as the other top guides, but you also get the bonus of being with a class act of a dude.

Couldn't agree more about Steve Chapell - one of the best guys I've ever hunted with and knows elk hunting! If I ever draw an archery tag, he will be the only guy I call for help.

I would consider Colburn & Scott Outfitters.
they have a track record for Quality Hunts.
Do your research, Don't waste that coveted Tag.

contact Steve Chappell or anyone associated with him. They are the most honest and humble people you will meet. I have been in the field and come into contact with other guide services and their "cronies" that I won't mention their names but lets just say they give hunting a bad name. You can't go wrong with Steve.

I WILL DRAW ARIZONA ELK FAIRLY SOON (15 POINTS NOW)......AND I CANT WAIT TO HUNT WITH STEVE CHAPPELL AND HIS CREW. I ALSO KNOW HOW MANY OTHER GOOD GUIDES ARE AVAILABLE....SEVERAL !!! I THINK STEVE IS THE REAL DEAL AS A PERSON & GUIDE........AFTER MUCH HOMEWORK........................YD.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-10-11 AT 06:03PM (MST)[p]There is one outfitter suggested here that you might wisely steer clear of; self-indulgent, coattail ridin' blowhards...THEY are only mentioned in one post

On the other hand, Chappell has a solid reputation and a great track record killing big bulls...I don't know Steve personally, but I have worked with one of his guides in the past and have nothing but good to say about him...his dad is also an excellent person and a quality hunter who likes to come along and help out when he has the time freed up

That means you, G-Money :) Gimme a call brotha, been a long time...hope you were able to use some of the tunes for the new vid

**edit---a wee bit of clarification: the THEY I referred to in my opening paragraph ain't Mossback, I don't know any of them dudes

I have enough points that I am very close to drawing an Arizona archery elk tag. I am very interested in everyones opinion on guides and their experiences with them. With 11 points now I know that I am close and want to make sure I make a good decision. I have not seen anything mentioned on them, but does anyone know anything about Trophy Outfitters/Van Hale.

Thanks

There are a lot of good outfitters working in Arizona and more than a few great ones.
Steve Chappell would make my short list along with McClendon, Koury and Big Chino.
Looking at the record books over the last ten or twenty years, I suspect McClendon has more 400+ bulls then any other AZ outfitter.

Ha! Ya gotta be Kiddin, Billy ;)

Nah man, that ain't how it works...this here's a POSITIVE deal, you see?

If you're so interested, put on yer Sherlock goggles and hit the trail...shouldn't be too tough to figure

My gut feeling is that you know EXACTLY who I'm talkin' about...heck, for all I know, you ARE who I'm talkin' about :)

A hint fer ya: it ain't any of those listed in the post above...that might gitcha started eh!

Hey greatwestern just curious as to why you think this guides your talking about are self-indulgent, coattail ridin' blowhards? Is this from first hand experience? Does the guide(s) your talking about happen to be in this list Colburn-Scott, Nichols or Wards?

LAST EDITED ON Dec-13-11 AT 04:11PM (MST)[p]^Good Grief man, no comprende eh? I'll make it perfectly clear for ya: I ain't directly namin' ANYBODY in a negative context here...Got that now? Excellent

However, it is pertinent that I do answer one of your questions: Yes, firsthand experience, with several of their crew...leaves a disgusting taste that makes me want to spit everytime I think of 'em...frikken snakes, slithery little forked tongued buggers

My initial allusion was provided for the sole purpose of cautioning the author of this thread (or anyone else, for that matter) that in shopping for a prospective outfitter, to do his dilligence and not be bedazzled by smoky mirrored glitz and glam...things may not always be consistent with the way they are presented; used car salesmen have been successfully selling lemons for generations ;)

Anyway, Good Luck to all of ya who may be tentatively planning a guided elk hunt in the great state of AZ...as mentioned throughout this thread, there are quite a few honest, reputable, and high quality Outfitters to choose from

Cheers'

**---edited for clarity

I've used McClendon's and Nichols in the past. Jared Nichols is a great guide with good hunting instincts. Nichols does all the big game animals in AZ (focusing on elk, bear and lion hunting). The McClendon's are also good and have an expansive network of hunters. The McClendon's primarily focus on elk, and then deer. They seem to know their units really well and find out from their network about hot spots. You can't go wrong with either of those (from my experience). However, I would use McClendon's if I were to draw another elk tag.

i hunted with van in 2008 in unit 27. it was the late rifle hunt. 13 guys in camp and i think we got 6 or 7 bulls. food was good and camp was comfortable. didnt see a ton of elk but had a good time

I don't know Van, but unless you were all a group. 13 guys in camp is a few too many for most peoples tastes when they are going guided for a bull elk, especially in a late season, when hunting isn't easy and there are not really not 13 great spots to be hunting. That is one thing about a few of the other mentioned guides that I do know, is that they don't over book their camps. Scott, chappel, etc are in this group.

Thats easy...... The McClendons....... If you dont beleive me , just ask them.. LOL

hi guys
I could use some help. Just wondering if you guys have heard of arizona high country (johnny casner) . Or Doug Starr, would like your guys 2cents. Looking for a late rifle elk hunt. thanks in advance

DONT KNOW DOUG STARR, BUT JOHN CASNER DOES HAVE A FAVORABLE & HONEST OUTFIT/REP. I RUN INTO A FEW OF THESE NAMES AS I DID MY HOMEWORK. OTHERS MAY DISAGREE ON ANY OUTFITTER FROM TIME TO TIME, BUT THIS IS WHAT I HEAR VIA EXPERIENCE. MY HOMEWORK IS OVER.................YD.

Don't rule out Matt Schimberg! Him, Bryon Goswick and company are the hardest working guides in the state. If anyone has ever hunted with them you'll know what I'm talking about.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom