topgun

He's still around!

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Somebody, please send him a few more tags!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I think I could hunt with the guy. I appreciate a guy who is passionate about hunting and has knowledge Topgun has both.

"I appreciate a guy who is passionate about hunting and has knowledge Topgun has both."

Yep, he has that, just ask him! Ask him to cool it a bit on a subject he knows little about, or to butt out altogether as it's local topic or none of his business and he'll tell you over and over how shitty of a guy you are and how great he is...

I don't give a hoot if the dude can fly up a mountain, i for one have not missed him while he's been gone.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

he's been hunting since 1889!

Sage doesn't like anyone who voices their opinion louder than his. Like stated above TOPGUN is passionate about hunting and does his best to share his wealth of knowledge.

Topgun and I have not always seen eye to eye, but he is usually the first to give advice when someone ask for help. So for that I think he is an asset for the newer hunters that come on and ask for help. As I remember he retired at 55 and that was about 10 years ago, so I think he is about 65. I'm looking forward for his report on his trip out west this year.

DZ

The problem with the internet is it's easy to come off as something you're not without personal contact. I read what I write and think I didn't mean to come off like a jerk but I sound like it in my post. I'm looking forward to hear how Topgun's hunting went this fall.

3006 said, "Sage doesn't like anyone who voices their opinion louder than his. Like stated above TOPGUN is passionate about hunting and does his best to share his wealth of knowledge.

As usual you are wrong again travis and talking out you rear end! I have no problem with those who voice their opinion no matter how loud. I do have a problem with those though that voice their opinion and don't know what they're talking about. You yourself are a prime example, here it is again, and i have called you on your BS more than once.

With Topgun, he digs, jumps right in the middle, into a fresh topic and is quick to side with with one side or the other BEFORE he finds out all the facts of the issue. Many a time he has blasted good guys here because THEY chose to voice their opinions that he ought to either shut up or bow out.

Now, there is plenty of room for all of us. As stated, i didn't miss topgun while he was away, no big deal. That's just me and i'm not speaking for anybody else.

Joey

I talked to him back in September when he was here in Wyoming. They had some transmission issues and kinda became a pickle. You will see back on here in 2-3 weeks

"Now, there is plenty of room for all of us. As stated, i didn't miss topgun while he was away, no big deal. That's just me and i'm not speaking for anybody else.

Joey"

No sir--- you are not

Well, I see my best buddy Sage is still spouting off while I was away with a number of good folks, including Travishunter3006, enjoying the great outdoors! I just got back yesterday afternoon from my three month trip that took me to Nevada, Oregon, back to Nevada, Wyoming, New Mexico, and North Dakota. No, I'm not rich in money off of a state pension, but it doesn't take a lot of money to have a great time with good folks who also enjoy my favorite pastime! I've now been retired since June of 2002, was just 66 years young in August, and am enjoying every minute I can in the great outdoors! I only had two cheap doe antelope tags and a buck deer tag for Wyoming, while most of the time in 3 of the other states was helping friends and a new acquaintance on their hunts. I haven't even had time to load the 200+ pictures I took into the computer yet and the USB cable for my camera somehow got "misplaced", but I think I know where it is, LOL!

My buddy John, from Sheridan, got a nice Cali Bighorn sheep on the 6th day of the Oregon hunt in the Beatys unit just north of the Nevada state line in early September, but we came up empty on the archery elk hunt northwest of Elko, Nevada. We saw elk every day the first week of that hunt in late August, as well as every day when we returned to the unit in September after the sheep hunt. John had a big bull inside 50 yards one day late in the hunt, but it wouldn't step out from behind a big bush and finally walked straight away with the band of cows he had with him. If John had been gun hunting he could have probably shot it, but not with archery equipment.

I lost about 10 days of scouting in Wyoming the last part of September when my truck had a lifter in the #4 cylinder start going out and I had to lay over in Sheridan at John's house to wait on parts and the repair job. They put in all new lifters and a camshaft to the tune of $3800, so I'll be keeping it another 5 years or so instead of getting a new one in about 2 years like I had been planning. The good thing was that the repairs were done before our Wyoming seasons opened and I got over the mountain with my new (used) 19' trailer to where we hunt on 10/1, which was the opener for antelope. I shot two does later in the month and gave them to a rancher who lives close to where we hunt.

I got out to scout the first week of October and quickly found a herd of elk with over 200 in it, but no real big bulls. They stayed in a state section we hunt for several days and I figured they would still be there for the opener since nobody seems to know the area is huntable. Well before daylight on the opener I took a guy from California that I met out there and a friend of John's from Ohio to the spot and we got set up perfectly on the herd. At daylight they took a nice 6x7 nontypical bull and a cow out of the herd and it was into the next day before all the meat was backpacked out to camp. The rut was obviously still going and it was exciting listening to all the bulls bugling and watching some fighting for breeding rights, chasing cows around, etc.

On one weekend John came over Friday night after his work week and brought a friend and the guy's 14 year old boy with him. We found the big herd again late that Saturday afternoon and the kid shot a nice 5x5 bull and it took us until the middle of the day Sunday to get him packed out to camp. The kid getting his first elk on his first bull license was the highlight of the entire trip for me.

We saw a number of nice mulies as the month progressed with the rut getting closer and definitely one that I wanted, but I just couldn't get close enough for a good shot at him. We finally packed up and left several days before the season ended on 10/31 because of a bad weather forecast and wanting to make sure that we got down to unit 2b in NM in time for the 5 day mulie hunt John drew from 11/2-11/6. He pulled my trailer back to his house for me with his bigger 3/4 ton GMC truck and I followed him in my 1/2 ton Silverado. The road over the mountain was already getting pretty nasty and it was only 3 degrees when we went over the pass heading down to Buffalo, but we made it okay and headed to NM the next day with good roads all the way.

Getting the early start to NM gave us a couple days to scout and we found a lot of deer, but very few bucks that were worth looking at. A guy working for an oil company out there stopped and we chatted with him at camp and told him we were disappointed about not seeing any good bucks and it looked like it was going to be a repeat of the hunt John drew there a couple years ago. He told us he had been seeing a decent buck coming to a small water hole with some does and where it was. Opening morning found us into a lot of deer, but not a decent buck was seen in the area. I went to another area to scout opening night where we had seen some deer and 10 elk the day before and John went and ended up shooting that buck near that water hole late that first night! It was a nice 3x4, but not the kind of buck that the area is touted for! We went back the next morning and boned the entire deer out and backpacked it back to camp well before noon, packed John's 7x12 cargo trailer up and headed to Sheridan so that we got past Denver that night. The next day we drove on to Sheridan and took the meat to his processor near Dayton. They had the antelope ready that he had shot the weekend before, so we took it back with us to his house. It was a very nice 15 1/2" buck with good cutters and decent mass that I rough scored at a little over 80".

Since John had the rest of that week off and I didn't have to be in Rapid City until late on Saturday to pick up my friend for our ND pheasant hunt, we decided to go back over the mountain with his cargo trailer for several days to try for the cow elk he drew a tag for. We found a bunch with over 125 in it the first night and they were still in the same spot the next morning. They were on the small ranch we hunt once in a while and we went and asked the ranching couple if we could have the key to their gate so we could drive to within a mile or so of the herd. They let us do that and we made a good stalk the middle of the afternoon with a good wind helping us and John nailed a huge cow at about 125 yards. While I dressed the cow out John was able to go back to the truck and brought his quad to within 100 yards of the downed animal. That is the only animal that we have not backpacked out to the truck or camp and it was a welcome relief after all the other animals I had helped haul out in the previous hunts! We got back to the truck after dark with all the boned out meat, had a good nights sleep, and went back over the mountain to the processor with the meat the next day. They had already finished the NM deer, so we took that back with us and I had a couple days to relax at John's house before I headed to Rapid City on Saturday, the 9th.

On the 9th I took a leisurely drive to Rapid City with my trailer and picked up my friend that flew in late that evening from Florida. The next morning we headed up to ND for a week of pheasant hunting behind my faithful 10 year old DD pointer. Herc was fantastic both pointing and fetching roosters and the weather was great the entire week for a change, as we have lost entire hunts to blizzards, etc. in past years. We ended up getting 23 of the 24 legal roosters the law allowed in our possession and we missed more than a few in the process of getting them! We drove back down to Rapid City late Friday evening and my friend got his plane back to Florida early Saturday morning as I headed home on I-90 with good weather until I hit Illinois yesterday afternoon. The weather was much too warm for the middle of November, hitting 70 degrees at 1PM, and then the high winds started and it was hard staying in my lane with the 19' trailer behind me in the strong cross wind coming out of the south. There were numerous tornadoes and heavy rain throughout the Midwest the rest of the day, but I made it home at 3PM and am now catching up on mail, email, and just plain relaxing until I head up north to my cabin later this week for the rest of the month to hunt our rifle whitetail season that opened on the 15th. I don't plan on posting any pictures of the trip on the site since it seems as though all pictures tend to do on this site is lead to arguments over scores and that's not why I hunt! Anyone who would like to see some is welcome to email me on an individual basis. I hope everyone else on the forums is having as great a time as 2013 has already given me. Over and out!!!

Topgun-

Welcome back. Someday I hope to be able to spend that much time hunting and enjoying the outdoors. Right now, I don't have the time due to work and family obligations but a guy can dream.

Hawkeye

Browning A-Bolt 300 Win Mag
Bowtech Destroyer
Winchester Apex .50 Cal

3800.00 for a New Cam & Lifters?(Oh I believe it with Todays prices!)

Chevy's Break?

Gotta RAZZ You TOPGUN!

No Huntin Trip or Wild Game Meat comes Cheap!:D

But Damn,Wasn't that Fun!

I'll be waitin for You & Uncle sage to Hash it out again!:D:D:D

I used to know of places worth Hiking in to for Elk & Deer!
Thanks to Illegal Bastards & the USFS not enforcing Rules you can Zing in to them Places on Wheelers now & not see a Damn thing!
But by GAWD it don't take long for them U-Tards to get there with all the Unethical BS and the New Technology!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom