topo maps

I will try both of those suggestions. Thank you. Got drawn for deer in unit I have never stepped foot in before and want to have some good maps before I start scouting.

mytopo.com is the only way to go. You can make a map of the exact area you want. No more taping maps together when the area you want ends up on 2 quad maps!

I'm happy with AllTopo maps. They are georeferenced and rubber sheeted images of the most recent quads (in several scales) so you can join maps and crop to get only what you need.

Not happy with Holmans anymore. The last time I was there I got a GMU "print on demand" map on water proof paper. It was very expensive. The response to my comment on the price was "works for us." That was the last time I was there and they're located two buildings away from my office.

Also using HuntingGPSmaps.com on the garmin.

I'm a map guy,love em. Been collecting them for 45 yrs. I have most quads for my area and nearby places. Probably have 100+ topos. I have file cabinet half full.Some from 1900.

I use MyTopo when I need it for specific area where multiple quads meet and honeyhole central for hunts I put in for alot. They used to be $35,don't know current$.

Last map I had Holmans make bled and faded.....their best waterproof paper. Cost as much as MyTopo.
REI prints decent NatGeo ones.

I ended up order 4 quads from MyTopo. Once I scout, I might order a custom one homing in on my favorite area so I can carry just one in the field. I see that you can order customs maps there with the private land boundaries marked. This will come in handy.

Thank you all again for your responses

I'll throw out another plug for mytopo.com. I have ordered several maps from there. You get to pick the exact area you want, size, scale, map material, and one thing I've found very useful that I never thought about was it saves your maps (if you create a profile) just in case you lose it, it gets ripped up somehow, or you just want a second copy. I've actually ordered second copies of a couple maps and it's been great because I knew exactly what I was getting, and it was quick and easy. Plus, I think as far as pricing goes, they are very reasonable and they ship super fast.

My quads from MyTopo just arrived. Fantastic quality. Had to buy 4 to cover the area I intend to scout.

I might not find a buck, but at least I'll know where I'm at.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom