Toyota Tacoma or SxS?

Handloader

would you rather have a toyota tacoma or Side x side for hunting AZ?

Restrictions on size for trails ? (Trail version machines or full size machines?)

Open to any brand machine, just curious on real world experiences.

Have had both, and been very happy with each for different reasons. Keep good quality traction tires on both of them to get equal comparison. How far are you traveling, staying in tent, camper, or motel? Distance to travel each day to hunting area? A truck is lots quieter for engine noise, but clanks and bangs more in the rough rocky stuff.

Never had an issue with my Taco getting me in there (and back) no matter where I asked it to take me. And, I could tow a trailer! My Kawasaki Teryx would do the same bad terrain in half the time, and twice the comfort as the truck, but always colder and wetter!!!

IMG_1653.jpeg

I saw a slightly tricked out Colorado just the other day and it was a good looking ride.

To the op, they both have their purposes and pros / cons.

I love the taco or similar for their comfort and ability to hop on the road and run to town or switch spots.

The SxS is more comfortable and faster on the rough stuff. Plus it will get down a tighter trail.

Way cheaper for the truck vs the side by side. When buying the sxs you got to buy a 70,000 dollar truck to pull it with and then a 10,000 dollar trailer. That sucks.

Distance to and from is something I have thought about. Which means truck and trailer to and unloading the SXS. Lots of coin sitting there in a parking lot…

Just not sure a SXS can get me that much further or better areas than a tacoma(or similar small truck)

HC: Haha - A tricked out Colorado is just a Taco with comfortable seats!!!
And more power, better fuel economy, and newer technology... for less money ?

I've got a midsize pickup and a SxS with a cab/heater and they each have their pros and cons. If I had to pick one, I'd take the pickup though.

20191114_174330.jpg
20221112_155315_resized.jpg

I have enclosed ranger and a 3rd gen 4runner. I will tell you i use the 4runner 100% of the time when i could use either. There are a few spots that are really bad and then i take the sxs

No brainer for me in my quest to chase critters. I pull my small trailer ( not expensive) with my atv. We camp as close to our hunt area as reasonable possible, then cover county 3x as fast on the quad as any pickup. I can dress for the weather and don't beat the crap out of an expensive truck.

Sxs all the way . I had a 4runner and used it before I got the sxs and yes it's plush but it definitely won't go places I've taken the sxs to and thru. No place is off limits !! Can am defender hd8 .
I bought it to hunt so I'm not afraid to scratch or bang it up to get where I need to go.

I'd nearly rather walk 17 miles to a hunting spot than ride in the back of defender on a dusty or muddy road. For the life of me and after riding in a new one again this year, I don't under stand why anyone would spend one penny on one of those open cab things.

I have a tricked out F150 with custom skid plates, custom valved fox 2.5 coilovers and shocks and it is just epic for towing my 6700 lbs trailer to the mtn, then airing down the tires and soften the clickers on the shocks for the off road.

Nothing like ac with a cabin air filter and then heated seats for cold mornings when riding in comfort.

I did try the Morrison Jeep Trail in unit 54 in Wyoming in 2020 and only made it a ways up just past Dollar lake where we camped for the first week of our 54-9 hunt. The sxs will do that whole thing no problem if you don't make any mistakes. There is a place for them dust and mud collectors, but just not for me :)

Anyway I do have a whole build thread on my truck if anyone is interested in making your truck nearly as plush as any of the sxs.

My goal was to not spill my coffee or beer on baby head sized rocks at 15 to 20 mph and I got about 2/3rds of the way there while still being able to tow a proper trailer.

The Tacoma forums have all the goods on how to make one of those as good as it gets.

Just my $0.02 on this subject.

Cheers, Pete

morrison_jeep_trail_2_c4b887988f2b4b6ae3b542ccc4c6cd87e86f0a48.jpg

morrison_jeep_trail_df55b0f272d8931e80bf4f02320485b5ddeaf57b.jpg

I would much rather hunt out of a Taco in most situations, BUT I can't take a Taco 500+ miles from home and still have my large camping trailer.
I have an F350 with a flat bed that can handle my SXS and I can still pull a 30' travel trailer and have all the comforts of home for an extended stay. Sort of like a toy hauler, but more maneuverable than a 5th wheel.
A SXS with heater and windshield is pretty comfortable and can go just about anywhere. And when you do something stupid (we all do!) it is a lot simpler to winch a SXS out of some screw up than a Taco.
There are pros and cons to each, but for me the need to travel long distances to hunting camp with a camper means the SXS is the only realistic option.
Bill

Some of these pictures on this thread aren't even in Arizona. Anyone that has been on these rough rocky narrow roads in southern Arizona knows that a side by side is 10 times as fast and smooth as any truck or tricked out 4 runner, ranger, wrangler, Colorado, tacoma etc. A side by side with a cab is far better than any vehicle on these roads. The main smooth dirt roads is a different story.

Last edited:
Yes no kidding. Specifically and only talking about AZ. For up north and down south use.
Some of these pictures on this thread aren't even in Arizona. Anyone that has been on these rough rocky narrow roads in southern Arizona knows that a side by side is 10 times as fast and smooth as any truck or tricked out 4 runner, ranger, wrangler, Colorado, tacoma etc. A side by side with a cab is far better than any vehicle on these roads. The main smooth dirt roads is a different story.

I have a Tacoma and a side by side. They are not really comparable. Been in Idaho hunting the past few weekends. Never took my side by side and prefer the truck. It seems I use the side by side more for pushing snow.
If the roads are really bad, the side by side is nice.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom