Traditional ML for NM muleys

mano_a_mano

I have a NM restricted ML tag; No inlines, sabots, belts or pellets. That pretty much rules out buying the latest ML for general use in other states. Turns out all my friends who used to have a traditional ML don't have them anymore so I can't borrow one either. (Plenty of inlines to "borrow" if the hunt had allowed it.)

Since I won't do a lot of shooting with this gun (I do archery but had shoulder surgery this year so I went Muzzy) I would like to keep it simple.

So far simple to me means ordering a .50 caliber Traditions Deerstalker direct or buying the Hawken at Sportsmans Warehouse (both options are stainless). Seems like lead conicals and pyrodex <100gns would be the place to start working a load and I should expect to get about $100 worth of accessories to get started.

What do you Muzzy owners/shooters think. Am I way off in my thinking? Should I get a used one that someone has already "tuned" instead (if so where do I find them)? Has anyone shot the Hornady FPBs through a traditional yet? What is the easiest way to clean a stainless traditional at the range between shots?

Any other useful information and advice is appreciated and you can use private messages if you want to avoid this turining into a debate thread since I am open to hearing all info.

Personally I would look for a faster twist than what the hawkens, or traditions has. The Lyman Great Plains Hunter has a 1 in 32 inch twist and would do better with concials. The value on the Lyman cannot be beat in a traditional and my guess is you'll be able to resale it for not much less than what you pay for it if you decide not to keep it.

So it sounds like my idea isn't horribly wrong other than resale value.

Hunt is in Mountains; burro mountains to be specific.
Was out last weekend picking tons of acorns; we used to do that every summer when we were kids.

I looked at the Lyman (was my first thought) and also looked at longer rifles and faster twists.
Twist seemed controversial on 1:32 vs 1:48 for maxi-balls and other conicals. And 1:32 was way too fast for round balls should I eventually pawn it off to someone looking to go traditional including round balls and flintlock conversion.
I also wanted the stainless since I didn't want to go all out on cleaning it while in the field and in the rain. It seems only the traditions had stainless (except for inlines).
I also wanted the shorter gun for hauling up and down the hills. Since most of my rifle shots on deer have been <100Yds and since I have some archery experience getting in close, I didn't expect to have to worry about longer shots. (I do suspect there may be a lot more opportunity at 200yds than at 100yds but in the spirit of traditional ML shooting my goal is to close to <50yds.)

For such a limited use weapon for me i.e. I'll be lucky to get drawn again for any trad ML hunt in my lifetime, I didn't see a need to spend extra. Mine will be the weapon friends borrow so yet another reason not to get something better; I'll have a lot less to lose and feel less concerned about whatever damage they do to it. I'll borrow my brothers inline or buy one for non-trad ML hunts.

Sounds like what you're going to use it for the traditions may be the way to go for you. I found that for me a gun with a 1 in 48" twist that 100 yards was about max distance with a good load and since 100 yards will be your max then sounds good for you. Alot of new comers to the sport are not aware of the limitations of round balls, you may not be one of them, I don't know? If so then be sure to do your research on the killing power of round balls and different weight conicals. Good luck, sounds like a great hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom