Traditional Setup

H

hogliver

I am switching to a recurve/traditional setup and am just looking for some recommendations on bows (Bear, Martin, or other) and arrows -- cedar, carbon or aluminum. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I got into it a few years ago... I still have my other bows..
I have a Martin Hatfield take down.
I got a hell of a deal on mine from a friend who bought it and then realized that 65-70 pounds on a recurve is a hell of lot different than on a compound. he got a Howa?? supposed to be the cats ass, but i don't know.
The martin is a nice bow, although I am not the best shot with it.
I shoot big ole heavy aluminum arrows with two blade magnus 125 heads with feathers and a mean helical(sp)..

I would suggest going a bit lighter on the poundage than you shoot on a compound. i can pull my compound at 74 all day long, but I do get sore fingers and a bit shakey after 20 or so shots with the recurve.

good luck

It really boils down to personal preferance.There are a lot of makers of trad bows and most of them feel and shoot a little differently from one another. You really need to find someplace that you can shoot some bows and pick one that feels good to you.
As said above the worst thing you can do is over bow yourself and it is really easy to do.
A 55# bow will kill any animal that you would want.
Remember you will only be shooting 30 yards or less. Most likely 20 yards or less.
Try looking here. stickbow.com
Or here. Tradgang.com

Good luck

John

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-07 AT 10:23AM (MST)[p]the best thing you could do for yourself is find a trad shoot near you, and go.. there will be a bunch of bowyers and tons of bows to try out.
trad folks are about the nicest people you will ever meet, and most of em. will be foaming at the mouth to help a new guy out.

two of the best bows i have ever shot are from-fox archery in oregan..
and thunderhorn from montana..

"After all, it is not the killing that brings
> satisfaction; it is the contest of skill and
> cunning.
> The true hunter counts his achievement in proportion
> to the effort involved and the fairness of the
> sport."
> Dr. Saxton Pope

i sent you a pm

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom