Trail Cam Advice

Shock Wave

looking to buy a couple trail cams for the upcoming season. I have no experience with trail cams. looking for simple, affordable, quality. I see some brand offer them in 2 packs for around $100?.

Thanks for any info.

Buy some decent priced cameras. The cheap ones IMO are more of a hassle than they are a savings. I like the Moultrie and browning cameras.

Stealth cams have a cheap two pack version, great pics and easy to use....

All my cameras are Stealth Cams, from their cheapest to the most expensive... they work for me with long battery life...

But I don't think you could go wrong with any of the cams out there right now...

Watch camofire on tuesdays, they usually have some really good deals on them, I bought some that were $35 ea. They work great

Go cheap. loosing more and more cameras every year. Its BS but after my first few where stolen I buy cheap. $40-50 a camera. Ive had good luck with the cheaper Moultrie cameras.

Costco, Walmart, Sams, Amazon,
Caomfire is good too but most of those are refurbished cameras.

For Each Cam set You'll need 2 more to watch that Cam with!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-19 AT 10:36PM (MST)[p]Does anyone remember the post someone put up about this subject? They took a lot of time and went thru each of the cameras with great detail
Bessy has a great memory he might know

Joe

"Sometimes you do things wrong for so long you
think their right" - 2001
"I can't argue with honesty" - 2005
-Joe E Sikora

I like stealth cam they seem durable, easy to use and good quality media out of them.
Be careful they are like potato chips once you pop you can't stop. I had one then two and now I feel like 10 isn't enough.

The Browning Strike Force XD is an outstanding trail camera and has no significant weakness. they should be around the price range of $115 0r a little bit less

I don't buy them, but I take them, so don't leave it on a major trail system. Oh I will get the other two also

LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-19 AT 11:14AM (MST)[p]Bump. Time for me to replace a few cameras that finally bit the dust. I have used Bushnell and Primos brands in the past but the last time I bought cameras was 5 or 6 years ago. Problems I have had are the stupid viewing screen go dead (making setup impossible), broken battery contacts, and woodpeckers (hawkbills?)knocking out the cheap plastic IR windows.

I'm looking for durability and easy set up. I like the switch systems instead of viewing an endless menu on a tiny screen. When you get old and wear bifocals you will understand why ;-). I'm leaning toward Bushnells again but there are so many new brands out there, any others I should try that fit the bill? I will definitely look at the stealths....

Hawkbill, got any you want to sell?:)

Bluehair
Splitting my time time between the winter and summer range......
May you live long enough to cash in those preference points. Amen

>LAST EDITED ON Jul-13-19
>AT 11:14?AM (MST)

>
>Bump. Time for me to
>replace a few cameras that
>finally bit the dust.
>I have used Bushnell and
>Primos brands in the past
>but the last time I
>bought cameras was 5 or
>6 years ago. Problems
>I have had are the
>stupid viewing screen go dead
>(making setup impossible), broken battery
>contacts, and woodpeckers (hawkbills?)knocking out
>the cheap plastic IR windows.
>
>
>I'm looking for durability and easy
>set up. I like
>the switch systems instead of
>viewing an endless menu on
>a tiny screen. When
>you get old and wear
>bifocals you will understand why
>;-). I'm leaning toward Bushnells
>again but there are so
>many new brands out there,
>any others I should try
>that fit the bill?
>I will definitely look at
>the stealths....
>
>Hawkbill, got any you want to
>sell?:)
>
>
>Bluehair
>Splitting my time time between the
>winter and summer range......
>May you live long enough to
>cash in those preference points.
>Amen

i saw and looked at a pretty new camera last fall that was mounted on a tree. It had obviously been put out last year. The infrared plastic eye you mentioned was broken up and I figured someone had vandalized it with a stick, but it was in a place that few people access. I never thought that it could be birds but now that you mention it, I bet it was birds.

I've had good luck with Moultrie over the last 10 ish years. Had a couple go bad, but usually took several years. I've got one that is one of the first I bought and it is still working fine. Hinges on the door are cracked, but I just strap it closed and it keeps on going!

I find the Moultrie's easy to understand and follow. When you check them, push a button and it gives estimate battery life. Pop the card and it says "card". And when you put the card in, it starts counting down from 10, indicating it is ready. When it takes pictures, the number indexes up, even after changing the card and batteries.

A friend has several Wild Game. I don't find them as intuitive, and changing the batteries requires you to take it off the tree. They also have a smaller field of view than the Moultries. Every time you change the card, the pics start over with #1. That might not seem like a big deal, but if you sometimes save the pics to a laptop or PC, you're frequently having to change the name because there is already a #1 picture.

Most of mine are also on public land. Usually catch them on sale at Cabelas, Midway Shooting Supply, or local Academy Sports.

So?

Do they Build a Cam that's PECKER PROOF?

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Don't know that I've ever had one attacked by a Pecker. But, I got pics of a bear. The next pic, one minute later, was pointing straight up. Then that camera was done for. So, it wasn't bear proof! :D

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom