Trail cam on salt lick

B

BOOMSTICK

I was out hunting this past weekend in an area I have hunted for years and stumbled across a trail cam that just happened to overlook a salt lick near a bog. This was in a spot that the salt lick was obviously used to attract game animals, there are no sheep or cattle in the area and the salt lick had been placed fairly recently (just in time for hunting season). This kinda p!ssed me off a bit to see someone trying to lure in game animals with a salt lick.

Is it illegal to put a cam on a salt lick before the season? What would you do?

I don't have the time this morning to cut and paste a quote from the regs, but it is certainly illegal to "bait", which is what that salt lick is. I would get GPS coordinates to the Fish and Game.

Page 85
It is Unlawful To:

? Hunt any game animal by means of baiting with the
exception of applicable rules for the black bear baiting
permit (See pages 70 and 71). Bait is defined as any
substance placed to attract game animals, except liquid
scent for deer and elk.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the antlers that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Super lame. Unfortunately I doubt anything will/can be done about it, except removal. My buddy came across a similar situation last year, and that was the outcome.

Keep us posted.

Put hat over camera.

Grab salt block.

Roll it down the hill.

Remove cap from camera.

Walk away.

OR... Contact F&G.

That is what I expected. I wasn't sure if there was an exception to the rule of no baiting the animals if you weren't actively hunting the bait (ie. post a trail cam on the bait). Looks like I will be making a call to F&G.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-13 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p] The key word here is HUNT. I don't believe that putting a camera around a salt lick would be illegal. I think once you know that the salt lick is there it becomes illegal to hunt within 200 yds. of it (not sure on distance). If the person who placed the camera never hunts around it i'm not sure they are breaking any laws. However now that you know it's there you should avoid hunting around it. I would call F&G to get the specifics.

No laws have been broken in the scenario you have described. A person would have to be caught actively hunting over said salt lick. Was there a tree stand or ground blind present? Seems to me there are quite a few people on here that like to jump the gun on dropping the hammer on people. Although it is a bit suspicious you don't have all the facts, are there any late hunts in the unit? Maybe someone is trying to get an idea of what's in the area. Maybe they're just out to test a trail cam ( highly unlikely), or just out to get some wildlife on camera. Surely if you could prove illegal activity by all means notify the F&G.

People need to read! You touch my cam and expect something in return. You can dump 2,000 lbs of corn if you want in ID...KEY word is "HUNT" I have salt all over ID and cams..do I hunt them nope! its to see what type of bulls are in the area

HeyZeus, HUNTNNW, that is kind of what I was thinking. I know that you cannot HUNT on bait for game animals (exception being bear) but I wasn't sure if you could still entice game animals to a particular area for scouting purposes. I will call up F&G and get the details but I bet it would be legal as long as they weren't hunting on bait itself.

The bummer part about it is now that I know it is there I cannot hunt in the immediate area but it isn't MY woods and to each their own I suppose.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-13 AT 04:50PM (MST)[p]Well BOOM, you could always remove that salt block to somewhere else and there ya go, hunt in that area all you like.

;-)

Slippery slope with this one. Bait the animals for weeks, essentially programming them to move to that area for food, then remove the bait the day before the hunt, ambushing them on their daily routine the next day.

The word "hunt" to me sure seems a technicality in this circumstance. $0.02

Interesting post. One of the definitions of hunting is to "attract". It might be technically hunting to place salt if you are attracting wildlife even to get pictures???

Goodluck with IDFG proving that u were hunting over it...how many times do you think u have been out hunting near someones salt and u had no idea? Happens more than u would think

HUNTNNW,
There is a huge difference between me stumbling across a salt lick while hunting in an area that I have hunted for years versus someone placing a salt lick knowingly to attract game animals that they hope to eventually kill. Those two scenarios are not even comparable.

I have gotten the word on this subject direct from Idaho F&G Enforcement Chief Jon Haggen. I described the situation to him and he said that placing salt with the intent to hunt the area is illegal even if you place a camera up to see what is in the area then subsequently hunt that location. His justification for this is that with salt blocks specifically, the salt leeches into the ground and remains as bait for the big game animals. He has had his officers bust people that were sitting where they had once placed a salt block, then removed it just before the season. He said that the enforcement officers can test the ground where the salt block was and prove that there was a salt lick there. Obviously they would have to know who placed the salt block with the intent to hunt on it prior to that. Bottom line, it is in fact illegal. I am sure there is a distance from the bait from which you can legally hunt but that is another topic of discussion.

So there it is. If you don't believe me, give him a call.
(208) 334-3736
Email: [email protected]

>I have gotten the word on
>this subject direct from Idaho
>F&G Enforcement Chief Jon Haggen.
>I described the situation to
>him and he said that
>placing salt with the intent
>to hunt the area is
>illegal even if you place
>a camera up to see
>what is in the area
>then subsequently hunt that location.
>His justification for this is
>that with salt blocks specifically,
>the salt leeches into the
>ground and remains as bait
>for the big game animals.
>He has had his officers
>bust people that were sitting
>where they had once placed
>a salt block, then removed
>it just before the season.
>He said that the enforcement
>officers can test the ground
>where the salt block was
>and prove that there was
>a salt lick there. Obviously
>they would have to know
>who placed the salt block
>with the intent to hunt
>on it prior to that.
>Bottom line, it is in
>fact illegal. I am sure
>there is a distance from
>the bait from which you
>can legally hunt but that
>is another topic of discussion.
>
>
>So there it is. If you
>don't believe me, give him
>a call.
>(208) 334-3736
>Email: [email protected]

I had a feeling it would be viewed this way, thanks for the confirmation.

Good luck proving they put it there..

Here's the problem. I've been in some rugged country and found salt blocks for cattle in some nasty places, many times years after the cattle were gone, but could still see they had been there at one point. Be it old poo, trails, rubs, ect.

This hunter could have found the salt block, figured he would hunt over it, and really.. if a cattleman left it, why not. Put up a trail cam and said to hell with it.

Those salt blocks if not eaten down can last for years especially if there isnt much rain to help break it down.

It cant be illegal to hunt over a left salt block by a cattleman.

I'm not stating thats the case in this matter, but I can see the other side if in fact cattle had been in the area in years past.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-13 AT 11:23AM (MST)[p]>Good luck proving they put it
>there..
>
>Here's the problem. I've been in
>some rugged country and found
>salt blocks for cattle in
>some nasty places, many times
>years after the cattle were
>gone, but could still see
>they had been there at
>one point. Be it old
>poo, trails, rubs, ect.
>
>This hunter could have found the
>salt block, figured he would
>hunt over it, and really..
>if a cattleman left it,
>why not. Put up a
>trail cam and said to
>hell with it.
>
> Those salt blocks if not
>eaten down can last for
>years especially if there isnt
>much rain to help break
>it down.
>
>It cant be illegal to hunt
>over a left salt block
>by a cattleman.
>
>I'm not stating thats the case
>in this matter, but I
>can see the other side
>if in fact cattle had
>been in the area in
>years past.

In your scenario the hunter is aware of the law, and knows that hunting over bait is illegal, yet he is making a conscious decision to do so, pre meditated that ignorance is his excuse. To me there is no difference between him doing this or placing the bait himself.

Same as walking in the woods and finding a barrel of bear bait, then returning but staying a certain distance from it with the pre determined excuse "It's not my bait, I didn't know it was there"

and once again the key word is to "HUNT" I dont even hunt where mine are. The only way IDFG could bust someone is if they saw them put the salt out..other than that they have nothing. Most people I know use loose salt and not blocks.

>and once again the key word
>is to "HUNT" I dont
>even hunt where mine are.
>The only way IDFG could
>bust someone is if they
>saw them put the salt
>out..other than that they have
>nothing. Most people I know
>use loose salt and not
>blocks.

I have a very hard time believing this.....

>Good luck proving they put it
>there..
>
>Here's the problem. I've been in
>some rugged country and found
>salt blocks for cattle in
>some nasty places, many times
>years after the cattle were
>gone, but could still see
>they had been there at
>one point. Be it old
>poo, trails, rubs, ect.
>
>This hunter could have found the
>salt block, figured he would
>hunt over it, and really..
>if a cattleman left it,
>why not. Put up a
>trail cam and said to
>hell with it.
>
> Those salt blocks if not
>eaten down can last for
>years especially if there isnt
>much rain to help break
>it down.
>
>It cant be illegal to hunt
>over a left salt block
>by a cattleman.
>
>I'm not stating thats the case
>in this matter, but I
>can see the other side
>if in fact cattle had
>been in the area in
>years past.

Of course it would be illegal to hunt over a salt lick if a cattleman put it there. Hunting over a bait is hunting over a bait. Its not like you would tell your buddy to go put up a salt lick at your hunting spot then go hunt it because you didn't put it there.

And this is deffinitely not the case here. I have hunted this area many times and this salt lick is new with no cattle (or old signs of cattle) in the area.

The whole law against baiting is a bit silly, as it is legal to hunt in an alfalfa field, a wheat field, a saflour field, a corn field, or a watering hole/pond. Private land owners can plant all different kinds of food plots and its OK to hunt them. But put a block of stalk salt on a ridge, and all of a sudden we have an ethical/legal issue? Oh well, the law is...you can't do it!

That is a great point UGAhunter. Around here where I live there is a lot of thrashing corn and all the upstanding "ethical" hunters (a lot of Ducks Unlimited members) are the guys who are thrashing fields hours before hunting them. Apparently that is legal but I don't see much of a difference. Iv'e seen many deer and elk shot right in the middle of a hay field, same thing in my opinion. I don't see the logic or equality.

I would like to know what kinda salt block it is ( plain white, red or ionized , colbalt blue or yellow yellowish brown celium?

Wow! Lots of assumptions here. First no one knows the individual was going to hunt over the bait. I have put out lots of cameras in lots of states and I have only actually hunted that exact area a few times in states where it is allowed. Most of the time cameras are just to see what animals are in a given area. #2 Apparently most of you have never put out salt licks, trophy rocks, etc. Someone said deer, elk get programmed to come in at the same time everyday to these lick sites???? It doesn't happen like that in any way shape or form. Most of the time it is a few random pictures in the dark with the same animals visiting the bait site once or twice every week or two and typically in the dark when you cant hunt. MANY times you get one picture of an animal and NEVER see them again. You could dump 1000 pounds of salt out and sit over it all day and still have a slim chance of a mature animal hitting it in the daylight. I dont think this person did anything wrong unless they hang a stand and hunt the salt and if they do they better be prepared to sit for days and days to see an animal.

Jason Yates
http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com
5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!
Discount code = monstermuleys

Curious on how F&G would respond. Clearly I would let them know about any camera's set up over a salt lick, pile of corn, etc. and let them handle it from there.

I wouldn't touch the camera, but clearly based on the posts here, leaving anything on public ground is a tricky proposition and one would expect their property might get either taken or messed with. Sad but true.

A possible solution..... In Wyoming, a trapper who places a trap must label the trap with their name and address. So....require that trail cams must have the owner's/placers name and address attached to the cam. Then the person could be identified and could explain to the IDF&G why placing the cam over a salt block constitutes a legal action and falls outside the restriction in Idaho code.

Wow, very different views. Take professional sports for example...it is illegal to use HGH to better your chances of performance. The results are greater, the rewards would come for a while, but eventually you will be caught. However, it is not illegal to use natural supplements (protein boosters and a good diet) to help increase your performance. In the hunting world, using salt licks, corn bags, etc (HGH for animals) to HUNT: is dishonest, no matter who finds you or if you even get caught. But hunting over natural fields (alfalfa, wheat, soy beans, corn) is ethical, private or public land. Those people who use attractants a) watch way too much Outdoor channel b) will always cheat in life. I would suggest sharing it with the fish and game. Will they care, who knows. Any part of unethical hunting in my opinion is wrong. Those who do so will at some point seal their fate. As far as the name on the camera thing, it should only have an ID #, no name, or nothing at all. Simply because if a person doesn't like a certain person, they could tamper or abuse, steal, or break the equipment. I would never steal a tree stand or a trail camera, no matter if it was put up in my area or not. Its not mine, I didn't buy it, so leave it alone. The point is, let the law determine their own definitions to laws, and let the law makers make the legal decision, but do your part to be an ethical hunter. Don't push the envelope. You cant stop everything, but you can be civil is doing your part to stop unethical procedures.

Does anyone recall when Idaho made baiting for deer illegal? It used to be legal. It was all the rage back in the early 80's.

Eel

>The whole law against baiting is
>a bit silly, as it
>is legal to hunt in
>an alfalfa field, a wheat
>field, a saflour field, a
>corn field, or a watering
>hole/pond. Private land owners can
>plant all different kinds of
>food plots and its OK
>to hunt them. But put
>a block of stalk salt
>on a ridge, and all
>of a sudden we have
>an ethical/legal issue? Oh well,
>the law is...you can't do
>it!

I think you're missing most of the point which is by placing a salt block on PUBLIC LAND, you are altering the natural state of that area- that everyone owns equally, as opposed to your food plot example.

>Wow! Lots of assumptions here. First
>no one knows the individual
>was going to hunt over
>the bait. I have put
>out lots of cameras in
>lots of states and I
>have only actually hunted that
>exact area a few times
>in states where it is
>allowed. Most of the time
>cameras are just to see
>what animals are in a
>given area. #2 Apparently most
>of you have never put
>out salt licks, trophy rocks,
>etc. Someone said deer, elk
>get programmed to come in
>at the same time everyday
>to these lick sites???? It
>doesn't happen like that in
>any way shape or form.
>Most of the time it
>is a few random pictures
>in the dark with the
>same animals visiting the bait
>site once or twice every
>week or two and typically
>in the dark when you
>cant hunt. MANY times you
>get one picture of an
>animal and NEVER see them
>again. You could dump 1000
>pounds of salt out and
>sit over it all day
>and still have a slim
>chance of a mature animal
>hitting it in the daylight.
>I dont think this person
>did anything wrong unless they
>hang a stand and hunt
>the salt and if they
>do they better be prepared
>to sit for days and
>days to see an animal.
>
>
>Jason Yates
>http://www.BasinArcheryShop.com
>5% OFF to all MonsterMuleys.com Members!
>
>Discount code = monstermuleys

isnt that the truth..I had 27 different bull elk thru the summer hit my salt...Since Sept 6th the opener in ID I have 2 3x3 bulls that have come thru..thats it!! Salt licks are not an attractor like some think, once the velvet comes off the need for salt drops off drastically. My other salt lick had 5 different bulls on it this summer..not 1 bull pic since August 23rd, but the elk in there.

Unless you have absolute rock solid knowledge of bad-guy tactics, best to just mind your own business.

So there is a camera out, who gives a $hit really?

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

I dont get how some people justify doing hunting illegally because they think "I should be able to do it because it doesn't really work" or "I wont get caught."

I dont like fish and game putting up more regulations and I get that it used to be legal and it is legal to hunt on legit fields but that isn't a justification to cheat or do anything illegal while the rest of us play by the rules. "bad guy tactics" or a lack of another method of finding animals, either way it is illegal and cheating.

I could see F&G issuing trail cam tags like they do with bear bait tags. They better not charge for them tho!

Unless I'm missing something no law has been broken here. I personally would not even think about bothering the F&G over this.If you witnessed them actually hunting over bait it'd be a different story.

Can't see any reason to get all worked up. It's pointless.

the artist formerly known as "gemstatejake".

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom