Trail cameras in the desert.

Bowhunter05

I'm going to be using trail cameras for the first time ever this year and I will be hunting mostly desert all season. Any ideas of what to do to mount the cameras? My primos cameras have female threads so I was thinking about making a stand I can hammer into the ground but I'm sure that will make it out in the open and easy to steal. Whay does everyone do when they use cameras in the desert?

>I'm going to be using trail
>cameras for the first time
>ever this year and I
>will be hunting mostly desert
>all season. Any ideas of
>what to do to mount
>the cameras? My primos cameras
>have female threads so I
>was thinking about making a
>stand I can hammer into
>the ground but I'm sure
>that will make it out
>in the open and easy
>to steal. Whay does everyone
>do when they use cameras
>in the desert?

Which desert are you talking about? The ones I frequently hunt usually have a tree nearby the area I want to watch. I'd definitely get a lock box for it and bolt it to a tree. People tend to get a little protective/bitchy when it comes to finding someone else's trail cams in "their spot"

If you use a T post, weld one link of an 8 inch chain to it and run a padlock through the other end of the chain and your security box.

61832dscn1090small.jpg

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

The T post works well!
If your worried about theft the T post isn't such a great idea. Doesn't take much for a thief to remove the whole T post and walk off with it all.

Yea,there's always a d-bag that thinks they can justify vandalism, better safe than sorry

>The T post works well!
>If your worried about theft the
>T post isn't such a
>great idea. Doesn't take much
>for a thief to remove
>the whole T post and
>walk off with it all.
>

Or a target on a stick. If all the signs you encounter have holes shot in them, I wouldn't leave the camera out in the open.

If you like pics of crows and ravens put it by the water. It's also the spot everyone else will be looking. I place my cameras on trails to water, bedding areas ect.. in places that most people pass through without a second glance. If there are any hilly spots, look for the path of least resistance for mule deer. They might walk along ways between bedding and water, they might do it at 2am but most will take the shortest flattest path. Btw I have built small caves from rocks and nestled my camera inside angle the camera if your not on an even plane with the subject.

The outfitter that mounted the camera on the T post in the above picture has 80 some cameras out. I didn't see any that had been vandalized in any way and every water catchment in those 2 units has one of their cameras on it.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom