Trailer

• Thread starter stpeterhunter53
  • Start date
53: best to get on the Internet and research some reviews. We have a toy hauler style trailer, 21 ft. Attitude by Eclipse. Very nice floor plan in the 2006 model. I suggest a toy hauler because they have 100 gal. Fresh water capacity while a regular travel trailer like my Dads only has a 27 gal. Water tank. Makes a big difference for longer hunts and adventures.

Read some current reviews as the newer trailer mfg. are all cutting corners someplace to keep the prices competitive ....so do your homework.

))))------->

Best what ? Best built? Best lay out ? Best style? Of course the one I have is the best, well the best for me. What do you have to tow with? If you have a smaller truck. The Lance trailers are light and have a aluminum frame. Most Toy hauler trailers have a rear metal section and then are framed in wood. Most trailers are made this way. Air steams are made of aluminum. I have heard that 70% of all Air streams are still on the road. You can spend a lot of money on a trailer or fifth wheel. For my family a big toy hauler works well. Sleeps 8 to ten people and can haul my atv's or side x sides. It has a on board generator, holds 150 gallons of water. Has a 40 gallon fuel station and a 20 gallon tank for the generator. It has two 240 watt solar panels to keep the batteries charged without burning fuel. But it takes a large diesel truck to pull it and can weight up to 14000,00 pounds when loaded with all the gear. Including four quads and two dirt bikes. Ok does this help steer you in the right direction?

My 1959 Shasta is the best hunting trailer ever built!
You cannot even imagine the memories that it's help make over the last 40 years! Bear, sheep, deer, elk, moose, pronghorn, coyotes, upland birds, waterfowl, etc.
Oh, and then there's the family camping trips which are priceless to me now especially since all the kids are raised and married.
I love that trailer, and NO, you cannot have it!
Zeke

I have a 24ft sandstorm toyhauler. It was a compromise. I wanted 23ft, the wife wanted 28. I still put that thing on the tops so I needed short length. I flipped the axils. It fits my teryx put thats it. They are very tongue heavy. The weakness of the toyhauler is the exposed water tank. 100 gallons is worthless if its ice. On board generators are a nice luxury. I have a friend that has an artic fox 5th wheel. They are insulated to death and built for cold climates so for late season its nice, but it is way to big for high country switch backs. Everyone has opinions, mine would to be to decide what you absolutely have to have and work backwards from there. None of the modern trailers are really built for hunting, most are for KOA's. My next addition to mine is a catalytic heater, they are wonderful for those 20 degree days during the elk hunt.

I hunt with guys that still hunt out of early 80's road runners and nomads between 22-24 ft. They have really taken abuse over the years and they keep on making it from season to season. I personally think 22-24 ft is the ideal for a hunting trailer, they are big enough to sleep some fellas, but short enough to get on the mtn.

Good luck, if your buying something new, its kinda fun and frustrating at the same time.

"The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun"

Hoss is right on the exposed water tanks. I beat the cold weather issue cost me about $600 doing all the work myself. I purchased two 30in X 25in heating pads made to be installed on poly water tanks. Found them searching the web. Hooked a nice heavy duty electrical cord to it. Electrical taped sealed it at the connection. Then through a roofing materials distributor I purchased a DOW froth pack 210 ISO expandable foam insulation kit. After installing the heating pads. I taped off the frame, etc with plastic and spray foamed the entire under carrage and water tanks 4 inches thick. Also if you try this, put down plastic on your driveway. That foam sticks to everything and you may get a few drops down as you are applying foam if you go to heavy in one spot. Took a big knife next day after everything cured, trimmed it up then sprayed sealed the foam with black color primer sealer. So far been in temps in the teens and haven't even had to start the generator and plug the cord in to defrost the water tank. So far everything has not frozen at those temps. I think also it helps to keep the trailer heater thermostat set at 60F to keep the chill out of the trailer.
I made plenty of battery capacity by installing a bracket I made under the trailer and adding 4 large RV batteries for extra capacity. When your in temps below freezing you maybe get 30% effeciency out of your batteries. Plus I added 1000 watts of 12V solar on the roof to help keep the batteries charged to full capacity 24/7. The solar only works with no stormy weather of course:) but the 24K generator pumps up the batteries pretty quickly using two # 4 gauge charging cables on the positive side as I have about a 25ft run staying on the edge of the frame around to the batteries.

))))------->

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-14 AT 08:42AM (MST)[p]I have a 24 foot toy hauler. On board generator, 26 gal fuel tank (a must if you hunt and use atv's) dual batteries and propane tanks. In my opinion, toy haulers are the way to go because the open layout makes it easy to accomodate more people and their hunting gear without having to trip over everything.

This year on the elk hunt we left the atv behind, pulled out a set of bench seats and threw in a large fold out table since it was just my dad and I. I slept in the queen bed above the ramp and dad slept on the other fold out bench. The table stayed up the whole time and made for a great place to store gear underneath and on top.

If your getting a toy hauler, i definately recommend one with a motorized queen bed. It makes it easy to raise and lower as high or low as you want. also get one with an on board generator and a good sized fuel tank.

My particular toy hauler is a "Thor Wanderer" it is a bit heavy but I have a diesel.

Take a look at the XLR Hyperlite 27 HFS by Forest River.

It's rated as a 1/2 Ton-towable toy hauler, so it is lightweight. You can get it with a cold weather package (insulated to R19 with heated tanks and double-pane windows) and the garage is separate from the living space with electric queen beds to raise them above the toys while hauling. The screen room on the garage is sweet, too.

I'm sure there are plenty of great options, but this one has worked great for our family.

Grizzly

Arctic Fox 4 season. Had it out elk hunting and everything worked with the coldest temps at 15 to 20 below zero. Great trailer.

Thanks guys I had a few over the years older ones but they fall a part and leak so I am thinking of getting a new one thinking 18 to 20 ft.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom