Transplanting Cliffrose

Captain_coues

Very Active Member
I’m about to dig up a few plants about 3’ high and transplant them at my house. If they survive the year, I plan on a whole yard of Cliffrose and other native plants like Piñon, Yucca and other sage and Cacti. Have any of you done this before and had success? Most of the Cliffrose around me grow in sandstone cracks and that will make for a risky job of not killing it while I dig it up due to the narrow channel they grow in.

The first time I drew a AZ 12B-W tag, They had clear cut a lot of the P-J's, piled them up, and opened up canopies in good areas of soil. We ran into these two girls meandering all over below Buckskin Mt and the whole plateau, and they were excited to be planting a mix of seeds and cuttings off Cliffrose. They said it is one of the best deer foods down there in that area. I think it was probably a M.S or PhD thing they were doing. Always wondered about any follow-up, but the only thing I found in the USDA was the following. I'd love to know how you do. Good luck

I have not had much success transplanting them in Palisade, Colorado. 1 out of five survival rate. I’ve also bought containerized Pershia and the success rate is not much higher. I think a lot of it is that at 4900’ Palisade is about 1000’ too low.

Thanks Blank. I will definitely share weather I’m successful or not. In the past, we have transplanted Aspen in Flagstaff, AZ and most of them survived and are still there to this day, healthy as ever. I thought we kind of did a hack job back then. Most were 6-10 footers and some had a root ball of 10” by the time when we put them back in the ground. It seems like they were doomed but they did well. The Cliffrose worries me in a few ways, its been a real bad drought, it will be difficult digging them up, and I might be a little late in the year. All of that stress seems bad. I think B vitiman will help. That’s why I want to try a few so I don’t waste them. The idea behind it is to remind me of deer when I drive up to the house. I have a pretty decent landscape at the house so I will try a few out for now.

That sounds amazing. I built a custom house on some acreage out in the country, and to accommodate the wife's work schedule we sold it and moved back into town. I have always regretted it, and when I drive by anymore I'm impressed by what all my little trees, shrubs, and wildflowers did since!!! Nature rewards good ideas!!!

We need a lot more cliffrose and bitterbrush, yet most departments of wildlife seem to avoid planting the stuff. I have only seen it done from seed, and most of those were collected by ants, resulting in poor germination. It seems a hard thing to re-establish in a burn, at least in the high desert of Nevada. I would guess that transplanting it would work best in the fall, but wish you luck and look forward to seeing your results.

I will keep you guys informed. Since it’s an experiment that may take many months, it might be a while. It will be a two part, one part will be weather I’m successful in the transplanting and the other will be the transitioning of the yard from old to new. I’ll call it my Trans Experience.

Another option? Cliffrose seeds.

I will keep you guys informed. Since it’s an experiment that may take many months, it might be a while. It will be a two part, one part will be weather I’m successful in the transplanting and the other will be the transitioning of the yard from old to new. I’ll call it my Trans Experience.
I have lost several cliffrose after the first year so success may be measured over a longer period of time.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom