Trap Thieves.............

Dean Parisian

I've been a trapper since the first grade. I trapped professionally after taking a college degree and covered several states taking canines back in the 1970's when fur prices were, well, truth be told, sky-high. I have never, ever, not once, caught a bobcat, fox or coyote with anybody's name on them. I have taken 1 fox out of a trap that was not mine. That trapper had been trapping on property that I had sole written permission to trap and he did not have permission to be trespassing nor trapping there. Nor were his traps tagged with his name, which by law they should have been. I turned him into the Conservation Officer and he was tagged a couple of weeks later as well. He broke the law. The fox that I took out of that trap was sold and the proceeds given to charity. I have killed countless animals in other trappers sets on public land and left them in the trap after trying to cover them up, lest somebody steal them.

Trapping for me isn't about the money anymore. I've made enough in my short life that I do it for the relaxation and challenge. It is a family thing as well. My sons will be good trappers in years to come. Those responsible for stealing traps are thieves. Pure and simple. You take something that doesn't belong to you, you are a thief. At least where I come from that was how we called it. You see, it isn't the expense of the trap that irks me. I can probably afford far more expensive traps then any thief because my education and hard work have paid off financially. What gets me is the hard work we do all summer and fall in preparing the traps. Dying them. Waxing them. Getting triggers and trigger-less tension just right. Preparing lures and baits. Getting swivels and drags adjusted. And then, getting sons involved on the trap line and waiting with good old-fashioned youthful anticipation to see if you caught something only to find a trap stolen. Poof, nothing like dashing hopes and dreams for youngsters. It gets old after you lose afew. And it is hard to explain to youngsters about such low-life scum.

Fact. Trappers compete with doggers and the use of our outdoors. Rabbit hunters, cooners, bushy-tail and deer hunters. It's amazing between the cats, coyotes and dogs there is even a decent fawn crop in some areas.

If you are on private ground where permission is required, please show some respect. (Trespassers have no respect so why bother addressing them) Leave the traps alone. Better yet, don't blast a trapped animal with your 20/12/rifle at close range either. We are just out doing what we want to do, legally. And doing more for deer than all of the supplemental corn feeding combined.

Use your head. The Creator is watching.

He doesn't like thieves.

Here's a good day with a 5 species catch all in one day. Bobcat, grey fox, beaver, mink and coyote. What you don't see are all the stolen traps. Trap thieves have them.

TNTrapping5.jpg

Dean Parisian
Chippewa Partners
Team Muleys Pro Staff
www.chippewapartners.com
http://chippewapartners.blogspot.com

Good catches, Dean. Sorry about people taking your traps though. Good message in your post.

I want to see pics of your office there at Pamelot. Sounds like a pretty cool place.

Good post & good photo Dean,
Same goes on around here with traps, I don't know what that whole thing is about but definitely asinine.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom