trapping??

smitty

Very Active Member
I'm thinking about doing a little trapping. Never have in my life, but thought I might start with some Coons down by the river and see how it goes.

Anybody else trap some critters?

I trap coons and bobcats biggame houndsmen.com has a good trapping section in its forum might go to that sight and get some info and so does trapper.com

LAST EDITED ON Sep-09-14 AT 05:57AM (MST)[p]I used to trap about everything around, was good money in the late 70's, early 80's. I can remember getting paid $25-30 for a good solid red fox, Beaver paying weight (30 lbs $30 bucks) made more money on muskrats than anything. $5-$7 bucks each for prime rats. Me and my best friend Chopper (R.I.P.) could catch 30-40 in a good night. He could skin a rat in 45 seconds, and then I could stretch it and flesh it in about the same time. We ran short lines in Utah county, Juab county, and Millard county. Ran long lines for Coyote and Bobcat in Grand and Tooele Counties. Back then gas was 90 cents a Gallon, and I made more money Trapping than Tinning. About 85 the bottom fell out and "Fur" became bad. Then last year I trapped Hard There was a dead market for most critters with Bobcat at around $250-$300. You could only get 4 tags in Utah. I hear some animals are paying again but I sold all but about 50 stop loss #1 and 2 dozen montgomery # 3. My sons have my old victor #3 long springs hanging as wall ornaments with tanned Fox and Coyote pelts. Snares work great for Coons, and are a lot less money, if you are just starting out. Build them yourself and you can save money. Box traps for muskrats are easy to make and very effective. I trapped 9 in one trap all at one time once. They were stuffed in the trap like sardines,lol. Good luck,BTW follow the rules and regs closely, I hear they like to make examples out of trappers for violations.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-11-14 AT 07:07PM (MST)[p]sorry Sneek cant get the pic of the box trap to load i have it on my phone and could text or email it but for some reason i cant get it to work on here.

I used to trap a bit. Really enjoyed and then started pushing snow. It paid a lot better and I didn't have time for both. I might do a bit on the weekends after hunting season, before the snow really starts falling to stay.

I trap coons pretty aggressive on my riverbottom land. I don't have much luck with cona-bear traps or snares. I always get squirrels or magpies in them and always skunks in the snare and stink up the area. I also catch a ton on wild cats. Those darn cats are hard on the pheasants.

But lots of luck with leg hold traps. I use tuna for bait. They don't like cheap tuna so I get the expensive kind. How that works out I still don't know. Good thing about the coons is a guy can be lazy and not worry about human scent to where a bobcat trap line you don't want any scent.

Its all trail and error. I have good luck setting leg holds about a 6-12 inches into the water bank. The coons walk the 6-12 inches into the riverbank looking for snacks.

Good luck. its an additive and sometimes a very frustrating sport.

Kinda like Shed Huntin SMUT!

Hold the Goods in one Hand & The Gas Money in the other...............

Just Sayin!

You might have to break in to that Stash of Cash that Ms Smitty doesn't know about in your Wallet!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

DP traps with Cat food as bait will get you some coons.
Cost about $12-14 a pop for ea one, But they work really good and are easy to set with the tool. Like setting them around Hay bale stacks and sloughs, river/creek bottoms, abandon barns and houses. The silage pile is a pretty good spot too.
Good luck trapping.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

Worst case it is a fun hobby. Not sure if you are thinking you can make some $ or you are just wanting some fun.

Coons are a good place to start. Once you start and have some success there is no looking back. As someone mentioned anybody can be a trapper with the dog proofs for coons BUT if you want some REAL fun set for coyotes.

Check out trapperman.com It's a great site with a lot of information.

Good Trappin'

I'm just looking for something fun to do with my boy during the winter.

We'll try some coons and field lions, maybe get good enough to get a few yotes down the road.

I want to get him so interested in hunting activities that drugs and bad friends and ##### aren't an issue.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom