Trash in OUR Mountains-- what is your best find!

BearCat

Hey Guys I want to send this out to all of you sportsman that are out in the field. I know that many of you guys do this, BUT please take the time to stop the ATV and pick up a can or bottle on the side of the trail, or while you are hiking, or clean up someone's camp or whatever it takes!!!!!

I know that many of you say you clean up, but there must be a 1,000 guys who do not because I find it on EVERY trip in EVERY place on EVERY ATV trail, on EVERY Hike. Lets all take the time to pick up something and bring it back.

My son and I were just out on the Muzzy deer hunt, and we took back two trash bags of stuff we found on the trail!!! But nothing made me prouder than to see my 13 year old son go and pick up a couple of cans right in front of a couple fo guys that have been "hunting the mountain with family for 40 years"!!

So my best thing to date is either the burned out set off box springs from Wyoming and an old burned out couch from Utah!!!

Anyway thanks guys for letting me vent--just hate seeing trash in the hills!!! We can for sure make a difference!!!

Dean

Thanks Guys!

I think we all get caught up in how to improve the herd or winter range or how to get that bigger buck, BUT sometimes it is the small things that WE ALL CAN DO EVERY TIME we are out scouting, camping, riding ATVs, Hunting, Fishing etc--is to not only pack our crap out, but pick up someone else crap. Yep we do not have to that is for sure, BUT shouldn't we for natures sake or our kid's or whatever? Just think how cool it would be if you pulled up to a glassing point and you did not find a FRESH empty bottle of RUM laying there!!! Yes things do fall off or out of our cars/ATVs by accident. If everyone stopped for a minute and picked up something---who knows maybe that big one was just waiting.

IE what happened to us this weekend. We stopped our ATVs after a heck of a hike in some shade that had a few bottles laying around. I got off and picked them up while my son started to catch some ZZZs, my Dad started to glass--we were there for about 10 minutes and all of a sudden a nice 3pt jumped up. He was laying 10 feet from a MAJOR road, right out in the sun, in the sage letting people drive by him. It was only because we stopped and made him stressed that he got up---yep he got away, but it just shows you that things can happen unexpected while picking up trash!!!

Sorry for rambling!
Dean

I am amazed every year when we go to CO for the 3rd season at the amount of trash we find in camps from the 2nd season and the amount of beer cans sitting on the sides of the back roads. You went through the trouble to bring all that stuff in, how hard is it to toss it in the back of your truck and haul it out??

Calif_Mike

That is the soooooo true and I am guessing Mike that will always be the case. But we should be good stewards of the land and pick it up as I am sure some of us do. It just would be nice if ALL of us and especially the new young hunters learn that.

Thanks
D

whenever we go camping or hunting... it is a family rule that we must pick up atleast 10 pieces of trash (thats not our own) before we can go home.

Great Rule!!!!

We do a hunt and seek for any trash laying around the camp site for remaining trash as a game. I just notice that many people while hiking do not pick up a can if they see it (or least the guys I know) I know sometimes my pack is full of them to the point that they make too much noise, but I just can not walk by a can and leave it----it just makes me sick to think that someday that trail could have a hundred cans on that my grandkids will have to hike around!!!!

My record is 163 cans in 3 days (not picking any up major roads just trails and 2 tracks) over to the east of Dutton. It made me sick!!

D

I agree 100%. My boys (ages 6 and 9) will go completely out of their way to pick up someone's garbage left laying around. Since they were very young I've tried to teach them to treat the hills as if they were our own. Now it's almost like a competition between the 2 of them to see who can pack out the most crap. :) Heck a couple of weeks ago we were riding 4 wheelers up the canyon near our house and my 9 year old suddenly slams on the breaks and runs back up the road about 100yds! I thought maybe he'd seen a nice buck or something... He reaches in and pulls someone's old brush guard from their truck out of the bushes. He drug it down the road and we strapped it to his 4 wheeler and he took it to the garbage. We've loaded up literally piles of stuff on our rides and brought it out just to help keep our canyon looking nice. When I say our canyon I mean yours and mine. Good thread Bearcat! We all need to take better care of the outdoors so our kids and their kids can enjoy them the same way we do.

NvrEnuf

Couple years ago my oldest boy was always begging me to give him a couple bucks for video games and what nots. So I told him that if he would pick up can along the side of the road that he could quickly earn enough money to purchase his own games. After a couple trips up the canyon we took what cans he had gathered to the recycaling center, he made close to $50.00 from those cans. Now we make it a chalange to beat that ammount. I'm sure that my kids have made well over a houndred bucks from the alunimin cans that have picked up over the years.

400bull.

I was recently at a Boy Scout training about "Leave No Trace". It was educational. The guy giving the training said that he was always careful about leaving "no trace", but that his wife was crazy about it. One time on a backpack trip with his wife and kids, his wife found a 50 pound anvil in the hills and she had him pack out. I like the idea of picking up garbage and have picked up more than my share, but I think I would have found something else to do with the anvil rather than throwing it on my back.
Soup

Well packing out an Anvil will be hard for anyone to beat that is for dang sure and I think I could have convinced myself to bury it long before I packed it out, but it still nice to see.

I just wished more people would do a little bit. I guess I am frustrated because it seems like everyone says they do it but when I am up in the mountains there is trash everywhere!!!! Maybe people just pack out their own and figure that GOD or some MYSTICAL FORCE will come down and pick up the can or bottle and whisk it away.

I just had a friend last week contact me on facebook that I have not seen for 5 years. This friend whom I took on his first hunting trip, saw me pick up a can and asked what I was doing so I explained. He just mentioned it in his email to me that he does whatever he can when he is out an about and make sure others in his party does the same---kind of a cool feeling. So I was thinking why not use MM for the same thing.

We all need to do 125% our part so our kid's kids do not have a dump to hunt or camp in, so our rights do not get taken away, so that PETA can see that we clean up our mess and the mess of other NON HUNTERS, so that we can give back to the land vs just taking from it EVERY FREAKING chance we get. There is more to life!!!!

Once again sorry for ranting, but us polluting and most importantly letting others pollute our outdoors has to stop!!!!

D

Dean,

Well said. My son and I spent 14 days on the Vernon this year and EVERY DAY we would pick up cans and trash, cans and trash that was not there the day before!! We watched a couple of clowns rolling around in a truck, "hunting", toss 4 half empty beer cans out the windows in about 3 miles of road. Picked them up too. All told over 150 can picked up... Sad, I really wonder where we have gone wrong for people to think that it is ok to act like that...

Just my 2 cents..
-Mtngoat

4a959c071fe51431.jpg

My hats off to everyone for cleaning things up. I ALWAYS take out all my trash and thanks to the influence of guys I hunt with I will pick up trash others have left behind. Who knows, enough of us doing it and we might make a difference.

Tom

I am always picking up other peoples trash where ever I go it seems. Its pretty sad that people would treat their land this way. makes you wonder what their own yard looks like?

I move rather slow on the mountain with my canes and all but I get so sick and tired of picking up peoples trash... I pick up literally pounds of broken bits of pottery... grey pieces, black pieces and red pieces... I bag them up and toss them into the Garbage... I'm trying to be all eco-green and all but the way some people leave junk around really miffs me.

Destiny

This last summer me and a buddy were getting into the truck at the local grocery store and noticed a party of people loading up their boat with cases of beer. Well they threw all of the boxes in a grocery cart and left it in the parking lot. This hit me wrong so my buddy and me get these boxes and take follow these people to the local resivoir. When they went out water skiing we put the boxes in the back of the guys truck and left a note saying, "you forgot something!" fatrooster.

That is great Fatrooster!!! I must say I have never gone to that extreme, but might that is for sure.

I am glad to hear of others that take pride in the land and most importantly like doing something to improve it. As we all know, there is no one giving out free limited hunting tags, or free access or anything like that---it is just our self gratitude I guess.

I guess I was hoping that some of the guys and gals that have not done it in the past, might see the light and pick up that piece of trash that they would have left before. It really does not take that much work, just pick it up shake the dirt out and toss it in your pocket, pack or whatever and then chuck it in the trash at camp. I mean it should not be our responsibility to pick up for someone, but sometimes we have to go beyond our responsibility and do something just cause we know it is right----everything comes FULL CIRCLE AT SOME POINT!

A few years ago some so called hunters left entire garbage bags of trash near our property when they broke camp. My uncle picked them up and found a bunch of old bill envelopes with the same guys mailing address on them. Uncle took them home, boxed them all up in an old appliance box, added a deceased skunk found along the road and mailed them back to the idiots! Wish there was a way to mail stuff to folks COD! And wish there was a way to mail LIVE skunks for the next idiot! Way to go everyone who picks up other people's trash.It sucks to do but helps take away the blight that stupid people leave on nature!

A few years back my brother and I were teaching a close friend who didn't grow up in the outdoors, how to river fish. He was amazed at the amounts/quality of fish we caught, but he was even more amazed at how diligent we were at packing out trash along the way and picking it up before we would even drop a line in the good hole right in front of it. When he asked why we did it if it wasn't ours, my brother and I just looked at each other and back at him and in unison just said; "Why do you think the fishing is so good. Treat the land well and it will treat you well."

This same friend, ended up taking a bunch of his friends/acquaintences to a spot we had showed him when he was first learning to lake fish for some easy pan trout. These friends/acquaintences of his also had no real outdoor experiences. I wasn't there this time unfortunately, but I heard the fishing was ELECTRIC! I heard about the trip from another friend that was there and he said that the friend we had taught to fish ended up getting pretty pissed and the trip ended early. After talking for a minute about what had happened, it came to light that it was all over garbage. These guys were dumping their beer cans off the side of the lake and leaving bait and such off the shore. My friend ended up confronting one of the biggest offenders (a 240 lb Samoan) and told him he needed to pick up his trash. The Samoan disagreed. My friend spewed out the lines we gave him about treating the land well and it will reciprocate, but it still did not fly. He got in this Samoans face and told him that if he didn't pick up that trash, then he was gonna need his family to come and "FISH" him from the bottom of the lake. He must have been pretty convincing, because my friend (at 156 lbs) got that Samoan and his buddies to pick up that trash and some additional they found. I was so proud to hear that and wished so bad that I was there.

Needless to say, this friend earned enough respect from me and my brother to take him to a few of our "secret" spots and in the process, taught a few others a lesson or two.

?-ERock-> ?

EROCK and others,

I guess I want to say thanks to many of you because after last weekend on the Muzzy hunt I thought perhaps I was the only one picking this crap up. I really thought how could so many hunters drive pass this and not pick it up. I mean you would have to be blind. But as we all know it is just people are just so preoccupied with themselves and the SHORT term to think about the LONG term issues. You know we did not end up getting a deer (kind of sucked for my son), but I guess that is just the way thinds worked out but we sure picked up the trash!!!

D

I just want to say that I am glad to here I am not the only one that gets pissed of about people dumping and leaving their crap wherever is convienant (sp) I got a little pissed at my buddy last week when we took his 13 or 14 year old stepson out to shoot some clays and when we were "done" they both got in the truck and were going to leave the 200+ 12 ga hulls lying there...I told them they needed to help pick the garbage up and that I would be happy to take it home with me, they did. but I was surprised I have been hunting and fishing with this friend for about ten years and never seen anything like that before and he picked a time when he had a "student" with him.

nvjohn

oh yeah my best find was 6 25 yd dumpsters worth of crap and ten vehicles
nvjohn

New mexico unit 5B has the most cans and bottles I have ever seen in a hunting area. Picked up a Pile last year and didn't even make a dent in what was there.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

>New mexico unit 5B has the
>most cans and bottles I
>have ever seen in a
>hunting area. Picked up a
>Pile last year and didn't
>even make a dent in
>what was there.
>
>
>"I have found if you go
>the extra mile it's Never
>crowded".

next time I go down too my place in nm ill stop in and pick up a truckload bring it home and turn it in for cash...gotta pay for new guns somehow

nvjohn

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom