travel restricted areas.

Goldberg

Hi, folks. I have a few concerns about the "travel restricted" units. I hunted one a few years ago, and to my dis-credit, did not know about these units. However, I had talked to a F&G cop and he pointed me in a direction of an area, told me the road was open to travel, and said give it a try. Now- here is the rub- we were using ATV's. the fish cop knew this, and the road we were on was certainly capable of "supporting a full size vechicle". We were stopped by some locals down in a canyon, and were told in no uncertain terms that we were going to be turned in, issued a ticket, etc.
So- my question is- who determines if a road is open to a "full size vehicle"? The travel map showed it open, the F&G feller said it was open, but we are a little nervous about the local guys giving us problems.
I have studied hard on the regulation, and it specifically spells out that a "road" can be nothing more than a two-track where vegitation is not growing.
I am pretty much a by-the-rule guy, as I don't have any fun at all if I am trying to pull off a shady trick. I left that behind decades ago. Any body have any experience, or knowledge?

sounds like u ran into some locals that didn't want u in their spot !! All u can do is check & double check the maps in F&G regs & on their website cover your Azz & get additional maps BLM State & National forest make sure u know exactly where u are going to be & have at it !!! Oh & get off the wheelers to hunt !!

Ouch- the wheeler seat is a perfect rifle rest!
My atv's are transportation only. If I had a jeep, or a dodge neon lifted and decked out with mud flaps and muddin' tires, I would still just use it to get to my hunting spot. Besides, I can't hit jack off that wheeler without a stiff pull off my jug!!
Just funnin- please don' t turn this into a ATV bash fest- I just want to know your experience.
And, thanks for the tips. I am pretty sure that you hit it on the head, I was in some bodies sweet spot!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-14 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]I do not own an atv, I just bought a motorcycle a month ago. I usually hike everywhere. I have watched deer move in the trees until the atv drives by, then they come out again. I always wonder when I hich a ride, how many we drive right by.

As far as I know; if you can drive a truck down it, then it's ok for your atv. But if it is obvious that only atv's have been down it, then I wouldn't risk it. I still think it is a stupid rule. The whole trail should be shut down for motorized vehicles, or limit the people hunting that area. I wonder what the next rule they will come up with, maybe you'll have to have one hand tied behind your back.

I'm not one for telling my grandson how big of turd I had to pinch off from having to eat so much meat. I want to give him the trophies that hang from my wall and tell him the unforgettable experience that came with each and every one.

Goldberg,

Any luck in the draws this year? We will be in that same elk unit we ran into you in in 2012 come Nov.

2 snow- ya, I had some luck in the draw!! But unlike you, it was bad luck!! I really can't complain, Idaho has been pretty good to me. Hope you whack a big one!

The ATV situation is a losing battle. I have owned the same one i bought new in 1996, back before they were so controversial. I think Idaho is trying to discourage their use in hunting,just like all the states. the area we hunt in Wyoming has banned them completely.
My confusion is this- back in the day of the old CJ5 jeep, people went every where they could get traction. most of the ATV trails now are just old Jeep trails that have grown over to ATV width. I ALSO THINK THAT THESE ROADS SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN COMPLETELY. However, I am old enough that I appreciate a ride into an area if i can get it. And I am also to old to hike and compete with a guy on an ATV or jeep or anything else. So if its legal, I want to use it.
I just am unclear about who determines if a "full size rig" can negotiate it. My opinion is that I can drive a Jeep or subaru most places I care to take my ATV. My guts start to flip flop if the going gets steep or rough, no matter what I drive!!
I also have a hard time figuring how an ATV is more alarming to an animal than a motorcycle, or any other motorized rig.
Anyway, thanks for all input. My main concern is not creating heartache for locals that may or may not know the rules, and who also may or may not make my stay uncomfortable.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-16-14 AT 02:55PM (MST)[p]The fish cop I asked said he goes by the map restrictions from the land-manager... not the current condition of the trail.

The rule applies to all motorized vehicles... so dirtbikes are only allowed on those roads as well.

Grizzly

The restriction has nothing to do with the condition of the trail or road....motorized travel is restricted to routes OPEN to full sized vehicles. Essentially, the restriction puts all forms of motorized travel on equal footing...by restricting motored travel to the same routes.

To find out which roads are open, check with the local State or Federal office.

The travel restrictions are a joke, I have never seen anyone busted for breaking the rules but I always see guys breaking the rules. Most guys will throw a tent and sleeping bag on the back and say they are using them to pack in a camp (which is legal). Only thing is they will not camp out back in there, they just head back to the camper when they finish hunting for the day. They need to shut down the trails all together once hunting season starts, which won't make the recreational riders very happy, or at the very least get rid of any and all exceptions to the rules.

Goldberg, good to see you on here, I was with TWSNOW in 51 two years ago, though without a tag.

The rule is a little confusing, though I would not call it vague. Basically, to be legal, the trail has to be "designated" to be able to be ridden on at all by any kind of vehicle. Those designation are found on the maps. There is also a website that can be checked.

The importance of the mas is that some trails are seasonal, meaning they can be used some times, but not others. They typically are closed during hunting season, usually Oct 1 I believe.

While I don't think enough citations are written, I have seen F&G waiting at trailheads to see if people who went up in AM with a Tent strapped on, come back the same day, and then they have been written up.

I am all for more enforcement, but not for elimination of the use of ATV's, responsibly. Be nice if we could self check ourselves more. Some guys will just do anything to get an advantage, and some guys are just plain lazy.

Fact is, I also hate hearing those damn two stroke motorcycles that whiz by when I'm hiking, even if they aren't carrying hunters, they are just a nuisance in those beautiful October mountains, wish they could limit them more, but maybe that's just me being selfish.

BPK hunter/2snow- thanks for chiming in, also Elkman. I really appreciate you guys help when i was in Idaho two years ago.
and thanks for the feedback now, along with everyone else who contributed.
I think a lot of what you guys say makes sense. I think that enforcement by the officials is not going to happen. And, just like anything else, a few screwballs spoil it for everyone.
I guess the thing that makes me nervous is being 10 miles back on a legally open road, and have some body feel like they need to teach me a lesson for being in their own private game ranch, and give my only means of transportation a ventilated tire or radiator or something of the sort.
I will just stay completely legal, and hope folks can appreciate that i am not some clown trying to horn in on their best road-side big buck hideout.
BPK hunter- who has the tag this year? you or 2snow? Hope you don't have to pack one as far this time!

Here is my understanding of the situation, and PLEASE note this only applies to national forest lands.

Each national forest ranger district has a travel plan for the land. They have maps that show the roads, trails, etc. The map indicated what kind of travel is allowed for example "open to all vehicles", "foot travel only", "motorcycles", etc. The maps also list seasonal closures for each road and trail.

So, if the ranger district has a road or trail closed to motorized travel, you are not permitted to be on it with a motorcycle, atv, jeep, ford powerstoke, etc.

Back to the question of what roads are "open to a full size vehicle"? I'd say the district ranger map would provide that info and would be what an officer would go by in determining if anyone was breaking the law.

>BPK hunter/2snow- thanks for chiming in,
>also Elkman. I really appreciate
>you guys help when i
>was in Idaho two years
>ago.
>and thanks for the feedback now,
>along with everyone else who
>contributed.
>I think a lot of what
>you guys say makes sense.
>I think that enforcement by
>the officials is not going
>to happen. And, just like
>anything else, a few screwballs
>spoil it for everyone.
>I guess the thing that makes
>me nervous is being 10
>miles back on a legally
>open road, and have some
>body feel like they need
>to teach me a lesson
>for being in their own
>private game ranch, and give
>my only means of transportation
>a ventilated tire or radiator
>or something of the sort.
>
>I will just stay completely legal,
>and hope folks can appreciate
>that i am not some
>clown trying to horn in
>on their best road-side
> big buck hideout.
>BPK hunter- who has the tag
>this year? you or 2snow?
>Hope you don't have to
>pack one as far this
>time!

Tags are held by my oldest son, TWSNOW's partner on the last hunt, and his girlfriend from Texas. They met duck hunting. She is super excited, but I told her to find some bleachers to start climbing to get prepared. As they say, Idaho would be bigger than Texas if you flattened it out.

PS I hear you on the locals who think they own the hills. Bring along some tools, some Slime, and a good long range rifle and a sign on your bike that says, "under armed surveillance!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom