Tree stands on water holes

4_Plesur

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-17 AT 09:21PM (MST)[p]This morning I was listening to a podcast and they were interviewing an outfitter here in Utah. I thought he was doing a great job until he said he has 14 tree stands on a limited entry unit all year long- because he loves to have his guys hunt these.

Let's say you've waited 15+ years to draw this unit and you go down and are doing your homework when you find a sweet wallow but there is a tree stand on it already- so you move on (at least I would because I'm not going to set up my tree stand next to someone else; I would be ticked if they did that to me).

Now remember this guy has 14 stands out there...

I get it... public lands... your spot as much as his... etc etc.

So let's say all year you never see this guy and opening morning you decide to hunt this wallow and climb in the tree stand (it's been there a couple years), the guide shows up with his paying client and is livid that you are in his stand- now what?!

If I hung a stand that summer and had a guy in my stand opening morning- I would be livid!

My point is I don't think it's right to leave the stands there all year long and think they are "yours" and to be a guide with paying clients doing this...

Is it worth saying something to this local outfitter who has 14 stands out all year on a limited entry unit- or do you just let it go?

It's public land,he is kind of taking advantage of that, you have as much right as some client or pal or whatever of his, not only that who says that he keeps all 14 occupied, Not right

I see both sides and agree. I guess if I didn't see much human activity I'd hang my own stand and hunt. If it looked like someone was going in regularly I'd probably move on. I just don't like being around someone else when hunting. I like my space.
If I did move on, I'd keep that spot as a back up plan. It is public and no one can claim a spot.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

It sounds to me like he would be violating his use agreements with the USFS and BLM?

You can only camp in one area for a certain amount of time.

Don't most outfitters who have a "semi-permanent" camp have to have special agreements with that and dates that they are allowed? Almost like grazing allotments? I think stands being up all year round would be considered permanent and would be in violation. Also might those be considered abandoned property after a certain amount of time?

You talking about Jay Scott's podcast talking to the guy on the boulder unit? I thought the same thing relating to having them out year round. If you find one of the stands at least you know you're in a good spot! I'd still hang one cuz he's got 13 other stands to hunt, no worries. I hung one for an elk hunt once but only used it one time, I never felt like it was only my area. I can't afford 14 stands though! I'd never use someone else's stand. Not sure of the actual regs as far as stands in UT either.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom