Trekking Poles

I'm either too young or too old for training wheels I guess . I don't get this fad.

Stay Thirsty My Friends

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-16 AT 12:52PM (MST)[p]Tog, I used to think the same thing until about 4 years ago. They are awesome in steep,rough country. I won't ever go out without them. Last year my father and I were in some very steep country and I gave him my poles. He was skeptical at first but after about 200 yards he was asking me where to get a good pair. He used them that whole trip. This year when he showed up guess what he had with him. Yep, a nice set of carbon fiber trekking poles.

I used to think they look ridiculous but after eating my pride and trying them I would never hunt steep terrain without them. Also amazing how much they save your legs when packing a heavy load.

I started using them 5 years ago on long heavy pack outs, try a pair and judge for yourself, not only do they save your legs , even more they add stability, how can they not work,, you just added 2 more legs

Similar to several others above, I used to think the same way...until my brother in law opened my eyes on a couple sheep and goat hunts in Alaska. Now I don't go anywhere without them in steep, rocky terrain...especially when hauling hefty loads. It's no wonder animals with 4 legs do so well! I don't see any need for them hunting antelope in the prairie but for hunting steep, rough terrain I don't leave home without them!

With that said, the downside to poles is how noisy they are "clanging" on rocks. I'm a little hesitant to use them while stalking in rocky terrain in fear of spooking game. There also is a pretty hefty learning curve on how to use poles correctly. There is somewhat of a science to using the straps properly, having each pole adjusted to the correct length, planting poles at the correct time between steps, etc.

If you are skeptical about trekking poles you own it to your body to give it a try...especially in steep, rocky terrain! Your legs will thank you!

>
>
>
>I'm either too young or too
>old for training wheels I
>guess . I don't
>get this fad.
>
>
>
>Don't think of them as training wheels but as 4 wheel drive verses two wheel drive.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

I too am a believer after being a skeptic thinking they were only for older people or granola eaters! Appreciate the relief to the knees especially. I don't use mine that much except for packing heavy loads, steep terrain or snow covered slopes. I got mine at Costco for like $30 and have used them for probably 5 years now so you don't have to spend a lot.

Yep, Costco for $29.
You become a believer when you have an Elk quarter on your back, going downhill and your knee bends backwards.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-12-16 AT 06:34AM (MST)[p]Yep, I too was guilty of making fun of the these poles for years, but finally realized the value in them first hand, and now consider them a vital piece of equipment on certain hikes and hunts. For those who have not used hiking poles on a good steep hike with a load, it's worth a try.......trust me.

I too thought of lime green yoga toggs(without the model babe)every time I heard a herd of techie hikers coming.
I used a single hunt/hike pole for years,but got some Lopi poles 2 yrs ago and use them now. Not while hunting/stalking or where they might make too much noise on rocks,letting every critter know I'm coming.NM is very rocky,so this is a problem with them.The noise .
But they are a must for me hauling a pack of meat & camp anymore or going up or down these steep hills.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-28-16 AT 12:46PM (MST)[p]I bought trekking poles many years ago for when I do long backpacking trips, and I have always loved them for that. Then, the genius in me realized that if they work well for that purpose, why wouldn't they work well when I go hunting and am hauling out heavy loads? (hopefully)

I still am not 100% used to them being a part of my hunting pack list. I have left them behind a couple times when I wished I had them. But I'm getting better about it, and I love when I have them and need them.

As was stated, if you are hiking up and down mountain terrain, and especially when packing out an animal, give them a try. You won't be sorry.

I really fought the trekking poles, until a Freind said " put that pack on, climb those stairs and don't use the handrails" OK now climb it with the handrails...Also with a very heavy pack going steep downhill, it will save you from a knee or ankle injury!!! I won't leave the trailhead without them!!!

Worth their weight in gold every time the terrain is steep and the meat is heavy (Which is often, thank goodness).

I've used them on so many hunts that I can't even count them all and wouldn't think of leaving them home! I don't use them so much in more rolling terrain but they're still in the truck and ready for the pack-out of meat.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom