TRIPLE 7

B

bigtom

I JUST ORDERED SOME TRIPLE 7 FROM CABELAS AND I THOUGHT I COULD LOAD IT WITH THE SAME CHARGE AS I WAS SHOOTING WITH PYRODEX SELECT .THE CAN SAID THE MAX LOAD WAS 100 GR .WITH THE 240GR HORNADY XTP BULLET.I HAVE BEEN SHOOTING 110 GR OF SELECT AND WAS PLANNING ON SHOOTING THE SAME WITH THE TRIPLE 7 TO GAIN SOME EXTRA SPEED . DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN LOAD THE 110 GR OF TRIPLE 7 ? THE 100 GR OF TRIPLE 7 SHOOTS 1820 FPS. WOULD THIS BE THE SAME AS MY 110 GR CHARGE OF SELECT ?

Bigtom:

My interpretation of the 777 literature is that these are the suggested loads for the particular projectile being used. Another area states that you should not exceed the maximum powder charge recommended by the manufacturer of your muzzleloader. In my case, I am shooting a Remington rated at 120 grains and I am trying to find a sabot that shoots well with the maximim load of 777 (120 grain as imposed by the manufacturer) to get the flattest trajectory possible.

In your case, it appears that you are trying to match an existing load that you developed with select. The literature claims that the 777 is approximately 5% faster than a similar load with the select (based on a 100 grain load). If you provide the caliber, barrel length and rate of twist of your barrel, I will look up the velocity for you in the Lyman Blackpowder Handbook and Loading Manual by Sam Fadala. For example, a hornady 240 grain sabot shot out of a 50 caliber, 28" barrel with a 1-48" twist, CCI #11 cap and 110 grains of Pyrodex Select, has a muzzle velocity of 1730 FPS according to the manual.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom