Trophy Roosevelt unit ?

That's a tough question! I've been wondering myself. The Sixes seems to get a greater number of applicants than bull tags allowed, but I don't know. Sixes has a lot of private ground and I have heard that that's where the easier hunting. Let's face it, most of the coast is jungle, but loaded with Rosies!
I've been thinking about burning my points for a Rosie, as well! I do have one close buddy that did go tackle it outside of Elkton, a few years ago and he killed a real nice 5x5. But he is a real slow, methodical, still hunter and I knew he would probably be successful.
His advice was to keep shooting til it falls, even if you feel that the first shot was the one. Too much of a jungle to track effectively!

Powers and Sixes, and a true trophy roosevelt is any bull you can find in the jungle. a 200" plus bull is a good roosie. as book is only 265.

Dave

Glass-eye look into an over-the-counter archery hunt. The Tioga unit has a ton of elk, and they are in the rut in Sept. The powers rifle tag is also an ok hunt.

Powers is your best bet for a trophy Rosie. Tioga does have a lot of elk, but it is gets a lot of pressure. And now with Plum Creek leasing out their land, it can be a pain in the #$% in some spots. If you're planning on putting in and killing a big Rosie, you better put in your time scouting and learning the country. For the most part, these elk don't roam for miles and miles, but when pressured will find the biggest hell hole to crawl into.

BUGLMN is right. Tioga does receive alot of pressure, so you have to get out and hunt. Do your homework, and you will be fine. I don't know where you live, but killing a trophy rosi is tough! Let us know, what you decide.

i'm not super sure, but i'm guessing you right, he dont believe you...................

Replies 7-10 are awesome! I'm laughing so hard my gut hurts. Feels like I just ripped out 10 crunches, keep it up guys!

Wanted,
Sorry about the sarcasm, but I couldn't help myself. I have hunted the Oregon coast my whole life, and spent countless days/months/years in the on and off season in the brush, and don't know if I have ever seen a 350" Rosie. I have video of a 320" bull that I spent a couple years with. That being said, I'm not saying there isn't any out there. The bull Travis Price killed in the powers unit a few years ago, was a little below 400" but a freak of nature, and Cabelas owns it now. I'm sure there is a bull or two that will challenge the 320"+ mark, but your statement made it sound like the Oregon coast is the place. I would like to see what you think 350" is on a rosie. That's a lot of bone. PM me if you want.

Thanks.................JP

The #1 Rosey Record bull was shot just out of Monroe (north west of Eugene about 10 miles from my house) 410ish if I remember right. AG bull, but they do exist. Trophy unit is any unit you go to because you have a chance at killing a rosey bull. Scouting is Mandatory! Unless you got buddies who have hunted it for 10+ years. Tough critter to kill with a bow. Good luck.

HK

Roosies have got to be one of thee hardest animals to kill with a bow..for me anyways. It's the thick steep country that they inhabit...ferns heads high, blackberries, viney maple.

I've called elk in under 50 yards and never could see them, or have them walking around in the viney maple and can only hear brush moving.

Plus when you do get one down, they are quite the chore to pack out of those "hell holes"

"Quitting is not an option!"

Back
Top Bottom