Tumbler or sonic cleaner???

alp75

Very Active Member
So I am really just getting into reloading and picking up items here and there. So far I am well on my way to a good set up. But I am interested to know your opinions between tumblers and sonic cleaners. I understand the sonic cleaners to be much, much quicker. But do you have to buy new cleaning solution each time you use it or does the solution last a while. What do you like and why?

Thanks.

i use the rcbs tumbler with corn media and it works good brass comes out nice a primer pocket semms to be clean to , I havent seen or heard much on the sonic cleaners

i own an ultrasonic machine and will never change. its fast, cleans like crazy, and no mess. pull your brass out of the machine, rinse under a tap and set out to dry. i picked one up at harbor freight for about $65 and have cleaned thousands of rounds with no problems, with amazing results every time. i'm still on my first bottle of hornady cleaner. in fact, its still about 3/4 full. does not take much at all. in fact, just water in it will clean quite well. i bought a rusty set of rcbs 9mm dies a month ago. insides were spotless though. broke them all apart, placed in the machine with hot water, ran 3 480 second cycles and it took every bit of the rust off...i mean spotless! i'd love a tumbler with stainless media but couldnt stomach paying that much. regular tumblers work very well. its all a matter of personal preference.

I am with REDDOG I use the stainless steel media. I think it does an amazing job. I think it takes a fair amount of time, but I don't have the high speed motor on my tumbler. I have not used the sonic cleaner. I will say from my experience there is no way the tumbler with corn cob cleans like the stainless steel. It doesn't clean the primer pockets if you ask me or the inside of the case. When done they look like brand new brass.

I love my stainless steel media tumbler. It cleans the outside in about 30 minutes. The primer pockets take a few hours though. They look almost like new when they come out.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom