Turkey Help?

MuleyMinor

How many of you guys have hunted turkey with a bow? What public lands have you seen turkey's? Don't need to be specific, I'm not asking for your honey holes? PM if you would rather?

You don't say what state you are talking about and that would probably help. I do a lot of turkey hunting here in Michigan and have also hunted Texas and South Dakota many times, but not in the states where most of the Forum members are located. I can tell you that you just about have to bow hunt out of a blind because of their unreal eyes that pick up any slight movement and at ridiculous distances. The good thing is that they don't seem to have any problem coming right into a blind that has just been placed in an area, unlike deer do until they get used to it, which takes quite a while in some cases. Hope that helps a little!

Andymansavage,

First off I would like to congratulate you on a truly amazing bull elk. Im jealous!! I was trying to get some more info on turkeys? I live in the Layton area and have only see a couple turkeys in the high Uintahs? Do they like the mountains? Fields?Corn? Just trying to get a couple ideas where to start. We would be hunting in the general season. Thanks

Minor,
I am no expert by any means, but I have been chasing these birds with a gun now for 6 seasons. (4 with my own permit).
I have killed two birds, so I am 50% with a gun, but I have had a blast chasing them. It is kind of like a Spring time poor man's elk hunt.
They are way smart and you can't expect to be successful with a bow unless you are lucky, or you have several seasons of experience under your belt.
Good Luck

Littlebighorn,

Lol, Yea looks like a riot. Not to worried about actually killing one just would like to add another hunting season chasing stuff in the woods with the old man. Thanks for your .02

They like the high country here and they don't like heavy snow. If you hit them in april/may when they are hot to trot you can camo up behind the bushes and call one in. Go out the night before the hunt just at dark and do a hen call and you should be able to locate a couple of gobbles to focus on next morning. Get in position at dark and be away from the roost tree a bit and call at daylight. I would use a blind for the bow and put out a few decoys. Fun bird to hunt. Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom