Turkey hunt folley ridge ,CWMU ?

foundation

Very Active Member
I'm curious if anybody has any experince with hunting turkeys on Folley Ridge ? Im a turkey green horn and I'm thinking about cashing in my points , and have been kicking around the idea of using them on a CWMU .

You ever drive down the road in the winter? I'm guessing so if you're asking about Folley. That's got to be one of the most highly populated turkey areas I know of.

Now, one big question, is Fred Johns still the operator? If he's not then go for it, if he is you'll get dicked around and your time will be better spent somewhere else. I think Hansens have taken over operations now though, but I could be wrong.

Fred Johns is not the operator. The operator is John Hansen, but he doesn't run things up there. The guy to talk to is Clint Mienke. He is the operator for Skull Crack, but also handles Folley ridge for John.

Folley is split into two sections and I know that Jed Wayment does quite a bit of stuff on the lower part (Where the turks are), so he may be a good contact as well.

Either way, there should be some turkey over there. Unless they just hang out in the fields all day, then you are screwed. I always see a ton in the fields, but I think they hang out on the CWMU as well.

Let me know what you find out, I was also thinking about applying for Folley Ridge. I have hunted the upper section several times for cow elk, but the last time I was on the lower part was about 10 years ago.

Put my boys in for it hoping they might get drawn and not have as much competition for birds compared to Southern region last year. Weather hurt us last year. Utah turkey hunting is nothing like what I grew up with in the Black Hills. Still trying to get a Utah bird.

Thanks for the information . I have left a message with the opertor , but havent heard back from him yet . With the above information now I see I may have called the wrong person .

I really don't know squat about turkeys or even where folley ridge except that its in Morgan County . Every year I just buy a point for turkey thinking some day I might be interested in hunting them , and I figured a CWMU might be a good choice with less hunting pressure .

I'll keep doing some checking .

Foundation, just draw the early northern morgan tag and Ill take you on our ground. you will kill a bird. especially with me as your B@!ch :) But you cant bring beer on the premises, JK

Boot I have 9 points so I think I should be in the runnin for drawing . I appreciate the offer and I think I could even go a day or two with out a brewski . LOL

If you want a 100% chance at a bird, go with the Heaston CWMU. I just looked at the harvest stats and turkey was 100% success last year. I think Folley was like 50% or something.

You will never get a hold of John Hansen, trust me. Call Clint.
Also, if you want to check out Folley ridge, take a ride through Croydon Utah up to Lost Creek res. It's a awesome drive and you will see deer and elk all over in the winter. That's one of my favorite places to go and film wintering deer and elk. There are always a ton of turks out and about as well. As you are driving through Croydon, Folley ridge will be on the left. You should see the yellow CWMU signs on the fences. It eventually turns into Deseret right before you get to the lake.

HJB I didnt see heaston listed this year as a choice . There appeared to be only 3 cwmu's listed this year , where as when I looked at the draw odds for last year there was a bunch of cwmu's . I wonder if Heaston is in turkey trouble ? I spend a bunch of time riding in the hills on the Oquirhs in the spring , summer and fall .

Couple of years ago I couldn't swing a dead cat with out hittin a turkey , but in the last two years they have just up and disappared

Boot when you told me about this hunt and all it had to offer it sounded a little too good to be true . I mean really what guy wouldn't want to go on a two outfitted turkey hunt that was being catered by Market Street grill with all you can eat steak and lobster .

Then when you said it was all inclusive and being hosted by the Victoria Secrets super models who would be unveiling their new spring line up of lingerie who could say no to that ?

When you promised and guarnteed a " no kill , no pay " on a turkey with at least a 50 inch beard and 24 inch spurs thats where I started getting a little suspicious .

HJB, we can do trade for sheds! :) It might sound like a lot of money but if you look at the big picture you cant put a price on memories that will last a lifetime.

Foundation, the only part that I may have stretched it and BS'd is the 50 inch beard part. all inclusive, steak and lobster, plus the VS girls are all bought and paid for so if you back out now Ill have to eat it all myself! :)

Sheds??? You don't need me to give you sheds dude. You can go out and find sheds all over your little honey hole while guiding turkeys.

I would pay $1000 for a guided shed hunt before I paid $1000 for a bird up there.

How about I just trespass and get caught up there. The ticket would probably be less than $1000. Now there's an ideer :)

>
>How about I just trespass and
>get caught up there. The
>ticket would probably be less
>than $1000. Now there's an
>ideer :)

The trespassers that get caught never get a ticket. They do however get a nice missing persons report filed by their family members.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-11 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]And FYI. I dont guide or sell turkey hunts. If I do take someone its usually only family or a young first time hunter.

Whats wrong boot , your inbox filling up with outfitted turkey huntin requests ?

Fellow wanna be turkey hunters I was just kidding about the all you can eat steak and lobster . Also the part of the hunt being hosted by Victories Secret models was a little white lie . Its actually being hosted by Fredricks of Hollywood models , they aint as pretty but their a little more on the trashy side , so its all good .

>Boot I have 9 points so
>I think I should be
>in the runnin for drawing
>. I appreciate the offer
>and I think I could
>even go a day or
>two with out a brewski
> . LOL

9 Points for a Utah Buzzard?

You gotta be shitttin me?

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

LAST EDITED ON Dec-23-11 AT 06:05PM (MST)[p]Thats it, I am hunting with you guys! I will pay $1000 but just don't tell my wife.

>>Boot I have 9 points so
>>I think I should be
>>in the runnin for drawing
>>. I appreciate the offer
>>and I think I could
>>even go a day or
>>two with out a brewski
>> . LOL
>
>9 Points for a Utah Buzzard?
>
>
>You gotta be shitttin me?
>
>
>
>
>Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can
>

I know Bess . I'm not the sharpest crayon in the box spending 9 years worth of application fees on a bird . When I started buying points I figured one day I would give it a try and see if its any fun . I just never put in for draw since I figured I would rather be out shed hunting or messing around in the hills during the spring .

Maybe now I should just get a point every other year and wait until some thing catches my eye .

>>>Boot I have 9 points so
>>>I think I should be
>>>in the runnin for drawing
>>>. I appreciate the offer
>>>and I think I could
>>>even go a day or
>>>two with out a brewski
>>> . LOL
>>
>>9 Points for a Utah Buzzard?
>>
>>
>>You gotta be shitttin me?
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can
>>
>
>I know Bess . I'm not
>the sharpest crayon in the
>box spending 9 years worth
>of application fees on a
>bird . When I started
>buying points I figured one
>day I would give it
>a try and see if
>its any fun . I
>just never put in for
>draw since I figured I
>would rather be out shed
>hunting or messing around in
>the hills during the spring
>.
>
> Maybe now I
>should just get a point
>every other year and wait
>until some thing catches my
>eye .

foundfation!

I've been playin with the LongBeards since they showed up here!

Been an Up & Down kinda Deal with a few Winters Exremely hard on the Birds!

Our Mountain Birds were doing quite well just 4-5 years ago,then a couple of Harsh Winters & they've all but disapeared!

A Slight comeback last Spring!

I like the Early Hunt,but Weather is hard to outguess,in my neck of the Woods it makes it tough on the Early Mountain Hunt,I've seen several years the Early Mountain Hunt was Junk because there was too much Snow & they hadn't made it back to the Forest yet,We have a Large Reservation in between the Private & the Forest,just hard to out guess the weather,I've never been able to do it!

One thing about it,I think you could Draw anywhere you wanted,unlike me in the Elk Draw!:D

Good Luck,if you like Huntin Elk you'll like Huntin LongBeards!

Hot Dog,Hot Damn,I love this Ameri-can

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom