Turkey Hunt

4_Plesur

How many here are putting in for Turkey here in Utah? I've never hunted them before but after seeing so many on the bowhunt I thought that I might give it try this coming spring. Have you ever shot one with a bow?

Also, I'm looking for a good informational web sight on how to hunt Turkeys, call them in, and finding their habitat. If you know of any good source let me know.

Thanks
Jason

I will be putting in for them (again!) this year, with my family. There are 3 of us that have 3 bonus points this year and we are trying to decide which unit to put in for this year. I don't know of any sites that cover turkey hunting, but if you watch any outdoors show this weekend I am sure 1/2 of them will be turkey hunting and the other 1/2 will be whitetail hunting.

Rut

I'll second that about the outdoor channel. I'm so sick of watching turkeys that I put in for it! Maybe if I try it, I'll be able to watch on TV (since that's about all the show's are). No idea of how, when or where, but given the chance I'd try to stick one with a Muzzy!

I know what you are saying about all the "boring" turkey hunts on the outdoor channel. I used to hate them, then I went turkey hunting in Georgia with a friend. Now I love those turkey films. IF you don't have time or ability to hunt turkeys ? don't do it! You'll never be able to stop watching or participating in those hunts.

i recently bought a primos slate call for about 15.00 and it came with a video on how to hunt spring turkeys. it talked about everything you need to know about calls, where to find birds, camo, how to clean them, mount them, ect, ect. its a really informative video...however it was about hunting them in the spring. in arizona the archery season for turkey is not in the spring so the birds act a little different since they arent mating they rarely come in to calls and are a little tougher to hunt. either way id recomend picking up that call and video..its a nice call that i use often, and the video is really informative...although all the calls they show you are primos and that portion seems a bit like a sales pitch, its all still good information. id recomend it.
az79
let me know if you cant find it somehwere, i could maybe send it off to you.

The bad thing about most of the video's are that they are back east and completely different habitat. You will have to try finding a video that has western hunts on it. If your going to hunt them archery in the spring I think you would want to hunt from a blind. They see very good. I bought the call from Primos called the Freak and practiced every day while driving to and from work. It straps onto your leg so you only need one hand to use it. And it worked like a charm. Of course I was shooting a 12 gauge. I have hunted them a couple times archery but that was in the fall up in the Kaibab. No luck. Hope this helps.

I think turkeys are a great "poor man's" elk. I love calling in a turkey, hearing the gobble on a shirt sleeve morning. We have a whole slew of the dang things on our ranch and last year my dad had a tag. We set out the decoy and had 6 toms working in on us 15 min. But beware, these things are smart and if they bust you the game is over (in my experience). I once watched a tom run from me and I was 300+ yards from him. I'll have my 4 Bonus points in the draw and I don't expect to pull a tag, but someday maybe I'll be lucky enough.

Does anyone know what time of year Turkeys are most vocal? I am just trying to decide what hunt to put in for and what time of year is best.

Thanks for the help!!

turkeys are most vocal in the spring...its pretty much the only time they are vocal. they still "talk" a little other the rest of the year, but mostly just purrs and simple soft clucks while they feed. the best way to get a turky to make noise when its not mating season (spring) is to bust them up and then sit. you wont get much, but you might be able to get them while they regroup. other than that, the spring is the best time to hunt them cause the toms are hot and will gobble to pretty much anything and are easy to locate. ive had them gobble when i shut my car door. then its just a matter of setting up and calling them in. good luck
az79

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom