Two bucks Two Tags

TinticHunter

Me and the Hubby have Deer tags, we have found two Shooters who are together, how do we take both deer without spooking the other out of the area. should We each shoot at the same time, or shoot one and see if the other guy comes back?

Me and the Hubby have Deer tags, we have found two Shooters who are together, how do we take both deer without spooking the other out of the area. should We each shoot at the same time, or shoot one and see if the other guy comes back?
Tell me where they're at? I'll survey the situation and then report back with a game plan for the two of you...

Last edited:
Hey Angie!

Tell Your Hubby You're Both Pulling The Trigger On The Count Of 5!

When You get To 2 You Pull The Trigger!

If You're Quick Enough You Might Get A Bullet In His Buck As Well!

1,2,3 boom at the same time. Just have someone watching and or filming to see where the impacts are.

Shoot at the same time.
This does not work. Several years back, me and my teenage son were hunting elk together. We ran into a herd of elk and I told him to get ready and on the count of “3” we would shoot.

We got set up and I went “1” and he went “boom”. He looked at me in shock and apologized. I laughed and we went walking toward them. They were milling around so I shot. We then had two elk down.

That is one hunt I’ll never forget.

I guess it may work, who knows….

Tried the 1,2,3 approach once and never again. It can lead to poor shots. My buck went down, but my buddy didn’t feel right at 3 and his shot. His got away.

I would never try the “shoot on three”. I have to pick my time to shoot when crosshairs aren’t jumping around. It should be a surprise when the gun goes off. Whomever gets the first shot shoots at the bigger buck. If both the same, first shooter picks.

Using a suppressor is your best chance for confusing the deer and getting some time for the second shooter

SOP for MM posts

Step 1 original post
Step 2 helpful post
Step 3 smart ass post
Step 4 post with joke
Step 5 cancel someone

With that being said I’ve always found it better to have the first shooter go and make your 2nd shooter the more confident / competent shooter. The 1-2-3 thing has ended poorly every time tried in my experience .

It's very difficult to get both bucks to line up for a good shot at the same time. I've been in a situation where it worked out on a couple of cow elk, but we had several more targets to choose from. If they both line up broadside, I vote for the 3 count!

It's very difficult to get both bucks to line up for a good shot at the same time. I've been in a situation where it worked out on a couple of cow elk, but we had several more targets to choose from. If they both line up broadside, I vote for the 3 count!
We aren’t doing that , just asking if the one would come back after we shot the first one

How Big Are the Bucks?
4 pt typicals, 24-26 inch range, but tall and heavy, we Know there are bigger but they are respectable. I mostly wanted to know if one would come back if we shot the other one or if he would leave. We wouldn’t shoot both at the same time just one and then the other,, we talked about it but seems a little sketchy.

Depends on the buck..some of the older bucks who have survived a few high pressure hunting years will book it to some hiddey hole and never be seen in the daylight again during season once they've been bumped... then again some bucks will hang around...good luck on your hunt

All jokes aside, I'd say there's a good chance he'll stick nearby or even come back to the same ridge or drainage.

As an example- in 2021 on my cousin's LE hunt in the Book Cliffs, we had seen two mature bucks together on three different days. On my cousin's last day, he took the older, better buck while his buddy was feeding about 60 yards away (as well as several does). Upon shooting his buck, the buddy buck continued to feed until we got out to his dead buck to clean it. Then he moved into the cedars... Once we got the dead buck dragged out of there, we turned back, and the buddy buck was back out feeding in the same spot. Probably happy his older brother was gone for the rut...

I’ll be interested to hear about your success! A double would be sweet.

If they have does and the does don’t check out after one is down, you should have another shot. I would never count on something coming back? Or paying its respects?

I’ll be interested to hear about your success! A double would be sweet.

If they have does and the does don’t check out after one is down, you should have another shot. I would never count on something coming back? Or paying its respects?
It all went south opening morning, saw the bucks in the same place right before shooting light, we snuck in to close the distance to 300 yd, still there feeding with the does, right a shooting light a side by side comes up the trail below them and busted them out, the deer ran right by us at a terrifying rate of speed and into the cedars. We had 3 or 4 guys in that spot every day after that because they must have seen them as well. We didn’t go back after the third day.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom