TXHunter58

Elmacho

Just checking to see how the hunt went. PM me if you like.

I'll tell ya about my hunt as well.

Mark

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-08 AT 08:31AM (MST)[p]I am having problems with my home computer, can't log on to MM on that one, so I am using my work one. Don't know what the problem is, have emailed the mods to see if they can figure it out.

Anyway, on to the hunt! I had a great time. I got my cow and missed my big buck. Saw about 5 really good bucks in 6 days of hunting. Made a stalk on one of the best, but ran out of cover at 172 yards. Had lots of time to set up and with a sitting position and shooting sticks, decided to try it. Bottom line is overcompensated for the distance and shot a couple of inches over his back. What I wouldn't give for a "do over" on that shot! That and the fact that he ran out to about 250 and stopped to look at me! He was a nice 4x4, about 27", tall with deep forks, and still in velvet.

The very next day my hunting partner ran a small group of elk by me and I shot the lead cow. I was above her at a steep angle and the Hornady FPB passed through the top of her shoulder blade, broke a rib, passed through the aorta (biggest artery coming out of the heart), the right lung, broke another rib, then stopped under the skin. It has mushroomed well and retained about 85% of its weight. She went about 50 yards and was down. So far I like what I see on the FPB. I was shooting 90 grains of blackhorn 209 out of my Omega.

My partner convinced me we should pack her out in one trip (between our two backpacks) so we did, but not sure I want to do that again. In hindsight, we should have boned the quarters.

All in all, a great trip and I did bring home a lot of meat.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Sounds like a great hunt and a mirror story to the buck I missed, except mine was hard horned and at 200 yds even. I practice the shot a lot and new I was stretching it....I was right....clean miss and he bounded out to 220....what an animal. Won't try that again until I master it.

Congrats on the cow.

I too only saw about the same number of good bucks.........not normal for this time of year. I hope the winter kill isn't responsible.....but the biggies were few and far.....

I'll have to try those hornady bullets now that I have a year to brush up.

Mark

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom