U-Tards At Their Finest!!!!!!

Shedreg

I recieved this in the AZ G&F News Letter!

Utah residents pay the price for poaching in Arizona.

The Arizona Game and Fish Commission recently revoked the privileges of three Utah residents for spotlighting wildlife (black-tailed jackrabbits), littering, and hunting without a license on the Arizona Strip.
During its April meeting, the commission revoked the individual hunting, trapping, and fishing privileges of Stephen Holt, Blake Obershaw, and Gregory Holt for five years. The three men were also civilly assessed $500 each for the loss of the wildlife they took illegally. In addition, Arizona is part of the nationwide Wildlife Violator Compact, meaning any individual that is revoked in the state also loses their hunting, trapping and fishing rights in 29 other member states.
?The commission feels that no matter what type of wildlife is taken, the individuals committing the crime should be held responsible for the loss of a public-owned resource,? says Arizona Game and Fish Commissioner Bob Hernbrode. ?You need to be familiar with our laws if you hunt in Arizona.?
The violations were discovered during a night patrol effort conducted by Game and Fish wildlife officers. The officers observed the individuals using a spotlight and shooting at wildlife. After conducting an investigation, the three men were charged with hunting black-tailed jackrabbits at night with artificial light, littering while hunting, and taking wildlife without a license. They were also found to be intoxicated and the driver was arrested for DUI. A Moccasin Justice Court judge found the violators guilty and ordered them to pay $750 in fines, and they will remain on probation until the fines are paid in full.
?These types of activities represent a disturbing disregard for wildlife laws and for the resource, and these are criminal activities, not hunting,? says Hernbrode. ?Legal and ethical hunters appreciate when the people who commit these acts are held accountable."
Civil penalties, and license revocations and suspensions are a separate process from any criminal penalties that a Justice Court may impose. They are initiated by an officer filing criminal charges against a wildlife violator through the Justice Court system. If the individual is found guilty and has been cited with a revocable offense, they must then go through the revocation process and appear before the Arizona Game and Fish Commission. The commission makes the final decision on whether someone loses their hunting, fishing, and trapping privileges and for how long. It is not intended to be punitive, but it is established to recover the loss of the value of the wildlife to the state.
?When a case like this wraps up, it makes all of our efforts worthwhile,? says Arizona Game and Fish Department Wildlife Manager Luke Thompson. ?We hear about this type of activity going on and we are glad when we can catch a poacher in the act. It will hopefully send a strong message to others and prevent them from committing a wildlife crime.?

LAST EDITED ON May-08-08 AT 08:27AM (MST)[p]+1

I can see the ticket for spotlighting, and for being drunk, etc., but I wasn't aware you had to have a license to hunt jackrabbits? So when you take your young kids out to teach them the safe and correct way to shoot and handle a gun and you hunt jackrabbits, are they considered as breaking the law? Most of them are not even old enough to buy even a small game license at that time?
It is nice to see some law agency out actually doing their job and enforcing the law though.
Most times a couple slaps to the hands and they get off free...

Maybe AZ laws are different??? and Jackrabbits protected?
Just wondering!

LAST EDITED ON May-08-08 AT 08:45AM (MST)[p]Heck, you have to have a license to do just about anything in Arizona . I know you have to have a license to hunt coyotes (Arizona is not the only state that requires a license for coyotes). To me that seems dumb since most states want to get rid of them. Do you think non-residents in general get stiffer penalties? But, I guess if you don't want to meet the long arm of the law, don't do idiotic things!

All you need is a general hunting license. If a kid is under 14 they can hunt on an adults license for small game. Its really not that hard.

It's Bush's fault!!!

Man you guys are killing me. In one post you are jumping all over the judicial system from not being stiff enough on their penalties and now you are saying that they are to stiff. I do not know about you guys, but to me poaching is poaching does not matter what game you're taking. If caught taking game illegally I'm all for the judicial system throwing everything in the books at suspected poachers. Maybe after getting the books slammed on a couple poachers? people will start to think twice about illegally taking game.

Good job AZ, keep up the good work.

400bull

I'll second that 400bull! We don't want Utards or anyone like that in this state. It's not hard to find out the rules and regs of Arizona. You can't just go out shooting everything that moves.

LAST EDITED ON May-08-08 AT 10:35AM (MST)[p]NO matter where anyone is from its still not right. They deserve what they got. it's a good thing they caught them before they had a chance to shoot at other animals.

I think this is a fair ruling, It starts with rabits but then what? Elk, Sheep, or deer. Poaching is poaching in my book. It just shows that people are losing respect for the land and whats on it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom