Ukiah Rifle Elk

E

eagle_eye

Planning on burning my elk points there in 2010 or 2011, and would like to here from some people who have archery or rifle hunted the unit in the past 5 years.

Mainly, I'm looking for reports on the weather, and snow amounts in the higher country. I already have the area I'm going to hunt picked out based on a prior archery trip.

I don't expect a lot of hunters where I'll be.

Thanks.

Hope you know of a honey hole because I wouldn't burn 1 point in that unit anymore. We have hunted the north end of the unit and it is in pretty bad shape on elk numbers. What you see during stick season is not what you see during rifle season. Good luck, Have a good day

If you're talking snow you must be talking about the rifle hunt, seldom is snow a big factor but it definetly can be. I've seen below zero 1st season and 65 dregrees second season, you never know what you're going to get.

I used to hunt the south end of the unit once in a while, elk numbers have dropped quite a bit, hunter numbers are doing fine. I wouldn't burn one pint on it either, there are many better hunts but good luck.

We have seen quite a few bulls during archery season in our area. I'd be burning 5 pts on it, and my partners would be burning 4. It's the only area I know other than Mt. Emily and Starkey Exp. Forest, and I won't be drawing those tags for a long while as a nonresident.

Are you saying the elk migrate somewhere come the 1st of November? Seems like they have everything they need back where we've hunted (water, feed, thermal cover, escape routes, etc.). I'll stick with the plan to find a decent hunt to go on every 5 yrs. Would rather do that than wait 12 years to draw another tag in Oregon.

I don't think they migrate but they might drop down a little if you get some weather. I haven't spent much time in the area during bow season but in rifle season the elk are scattered and the bigger bulls go off by themselves in the dark timber and can be hard to locate. to many spike hunters lighting up the woods. Sounds like you know the area from bowhunting so you might be o.k. Have fun

Thanks for the advice.

We found a few nice sheds so I suspect the bulls stay in the area.

I think you are missing a important point. Elk in the rut during archery season act a whole lot different than huting them in November. Just because you have luck in archery season doesn't necesarily mean you will see elk in rifle season, especially after all of bow season, deer season, then first elk season. Good luck but it will be far from a slam dunk.

Rich

I worked for the Forest Service in Ukiah during the summer of 2007. I saw a lot of elk, but very few large bulls. Every now and again I would see a bull that was over 280", but not often. I'm sure the mature bulls are there, just as they are anywhere!

Any hunting is better than no hunting at all! Good Luck!

Lostinoregon hit it on the head, just like when you deer hunt an area and you don't see much then you come back 3 weeks later to elk hunt and big bucks are running everywhere. It is amazing what a few weeks of hunters in and out of the woods and the rut going on and off can do to a area. Have a good day!!

Back
Top Bottom