Under Armour ??

I use the Under Armour spandex pants and shirt for hiking and insulation. I like it. I own some stuff from other manufacturers also that is cheaper.

Under Armour is costly though. It was VERY hard for me to fork over the cash, but I did and have gotten a lot of use from it. Wear the stuff to play flag football, snowboarding, and hunting.

The other brand stuff is usually a little cheaper.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

Personally I think its good stuff. Me and several of the guys I hunt with wear the shirts for the archery hunts. I don't wear the skin tight stuff, I buy it so it fits like a normal t-shirt. I like the way it seems to adapt to the different temperatures. If you watch the retailers in the Summer they will have sales. Personally, I think its worth the money, but again I only hunt during the archery dates.

Yep, It's expensive, but you only need 2 sets.
I have worn it in AZ hunting at 87 degrees and all winter in NY for work outside. Great stuff. The skin tight (what they call compression fit) is nice once you get used to it, you can layer for extreme cold and not feel bulked up.
I understand LL Bean has something similar but cheaper. Haven't had a chance to try it.
Ed

Love it and wear it throughout the various seasons. The cold gear is outstanding for winter and the heat gear is good in early fall or spring. It ain't cheap, but, it's good quality. I'm lucky cause I live about 15 minutes from the factory and they have an outlet store with some great prices on closeouts and 2nds.:7

"Good mass & long brows"

I just have to chime in with everyones opinion above, it is very expensive and I also had a hard time spending the cash the first time, however I have spent countless days hutning in this stuff anf it is wirth its weight in gold for sure. A very good investment.

I have one of their cold gear vests. While it's nice to wear around town I wouldn't trust it in cold weather. It pales in comarison to my Sitka timberline vest. Their base layer are pretty nice for warmer weather. I have a few pieces of those.

"I use the Under Armour spandex pants and shirt for hiking and insulation. I like it."

LMAO...no man should "like" spandex sorry...

~Z~

UA makes the greatest work out stuff on the planet and I like their Boxer Briefs and longsleeve Ts for cool weather but so far I have not liked UA for cold weather. I am still an REI Polypro MTS Zip T-Neck and long bottoms guy. They come in three different weights, well like iron and do the job as good as or better than all of the others I have tried. Patagonias Capilene stuff is also pretty good.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

LOL never_catch. I should have never said that!! That's funny, because my dad gives me so much crap about wearing that stuff. Calls me Peter Pan and a sissy. LMAO

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

I love their stuff. I wear the boxer briefs, cold weather long sleeve shirts as well as the loose fit shirts and heat gear. I do not head to the woods with out it!

CABugle

I really like smartwool and icebreaker under clothes.I have one underarmor T shirt and it is great for real sweaty hikes.

Bean

I love under armor. A good way to get it for cheaper is if you check out Sport Chalet during their spring sale when they clearance all the cold wear gear off. Ive got quite a few peices and i absolutely love it. And its durable to boot. I do structural concrete so im always snagged on tie wire, rebar, form cuts, taper ties, you name it. This stuff is awesome. ive had mine for about 2 years now and i think the shirt has 1 little tear that was sustained last year when we had to go to alaska for a few weeks of work. It can get soaking wet and still keep you warm. its awesome IMO.

-Cass

14 days straight of rain and i never got cold while wearing it. maybe it was just me but im not bsin

-Cass

What details. We got shipped up to Juneau alaska last september to help Secon build a bunch of precast barrier rails for their freeway project. Nothing special, lots of hours, lots of rain and lots of wear. The cold weather gear is awesome hands down.

-Cass

Mens cold gear action leggings, and mens cold gear longsleeve mock. Jeans over the leggings and a t shirt over the mock.
temps ranged from 45-60. Under them was breifs and nothing upper

-Cass

Then you must have been working your a$$ off and there must have been no wind chill. I like my UA but I don't think you could sit around in the stuff, wet, in those temps and not get chilled.

We were working hard but not only did it wisk out sweat away from the body it helped to keep the water wisking away as well kinda like the body being a dryer. heat rises but overall it worked well for me.

-Cass

do we want to know what he had for breakfast that day also? I also have found that if your pants get wet your UA cold gear will help keep you from getting a chill. It traps the heat and keeps the wet pants away from your skin. And you really can't get UA soaking wet because of what it is made out of. It just does not hold water, sweat etc.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

For the price of the cold gear, I prefer the Wallmart stuff. Find it in the spring I think I paid $7 a shirt. The pants are tight on the ankles is my only complaint, but after wearing both I recomend trying a set before buying more $$$ UA.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-07-09 AT 01:50PM (MST)[p]Forgive me wanting to get the details before concluding that his claim "It can get soaking wet and still keep you warm" is not valid.

If he was soaking wet from a combination of sweat and rain in 40-60 degree temps he would have started to chill the minute he stopped working and generating heat. The UA gear he describes has very little thermal quality to it, its primary function is to "wick" not "wisk" moisture away from the surface of the skin and I don't think that it does that as well as a number of other fabrics. In any event, wicking moisture away from the skin is a good thing (because wet skin loses heat at a rate of around 20+ times faster than dry skin) unless of course you are moving the moisture to the cotton jeans and t-shirt you are wearing over the UA. Cotton is an extremely poor insulator, even worse when it is wet and it takes a very long time to dry.

Wetness/water/moisture from rain, sweat or any other source in cool or cold temps is a bad thing. Wet=cold. Dry=warm.

He was "warm" because he was physically active and exerting himself not because of the UA. And that would not be any different if he were wearing products from REI, Patagonia, Duofold, Carhartt or Kmart. Once he stops running his motor at high RPMs he would have begun to chill because his cotton clothes would have provided him no insulation from the outside temperatures that were 40 to 60 degrees lower than his resting body temperature. That is not opinion, it is science.

As I said, UA is very good stuff and I was one of its earliest promoters but let's not attribute super hero powers where they are not warranted. It's just polyester.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I hear what your saying. I would just like to see you get right to the point like you just did instead of going at it. But I'm with you and under stand what you were getting at.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom