Unethical Hunter

30inchbucks

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14 AT 04:05PM (MST) by Founder (admin)[p]Haven't been on here in a long time but I thought this needed to be posted. Last year, my brother and his 14 year old son were set up to archery hunt a water hole. While they were gone another hunter went in there , used their blind, and killed a buck. This hunter knew my brother and his son were hunting the water. My brother talked to the hunter on the way back in and congratulated him. A few days later my brother and his son started noticing a smell as they sat there on the waterhole with no success for several days. The other hunter had deboned and left the carcass to rot within 30 yards of the waterhole. What kind of hunter does that!! They hooked a chain around it and drug it out of there so they could continue to hunt and possibly have deer come back in. Fast forward to this year. Sure enough my brother and his son run into this guy again. My brother confronts him about it and no remorse or apology whatsoever!! Just smart remarks. And supposedly this guy guides too. He needs to take some ethic classes on how to treat others and respect other hunters. Enough said.

The hunter's name doesn't need to be posted, that will only cause fighting. But, I agree he should have moved the carcass if he could have. I know when I'm alone, there's no way I could move all of what's left of a boned out deer very far, and there would still be the smell of blood. I'm not weak, but just moving a 250 lb. deer around a little is tough.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14 AT 04:27PM (MST)[p]He wasn't alone. He had friends with him. Also had ATV's. Plenty of help to take the deer somewhere else. I've been alone and could drag a deer a long ways to clean it in a better spot. This guy has some nerve and there probably will be a fight if he runs into my brother again. Lol

So how far is far enough?
I assume this was public land. If I had boned out the meat from a deer, I'm not sure how far I would drag a carcass away from the blind. Terrain and conditions have a lot to do with it. You still have the blood, guts, etc, and I'm not sure 30 or 100 yards makes any difference. A mile, probably, but few will go to that effort.
Bill

I don't agree with using someone else's blind but I wouldn't drag off a carcass either. I wouldn't worry about distance, if it was out of sight that is all I'd care about.
Didn't realize there is a ethics about moving carcass away from water.

On another subject, I think it is HILARIOUS when I see hunts on tv and they haul out the entire animal, guts included. IF I had a guide tell me we were hauling out my elk whole(private property or not) I'd sit back and laugh. Would NOT lift a single finger to help move that animal.

That stuff goes back into nature to help with all of the other species (pants and animals) continue on.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>wah wah wah......
a certain individuals response on 8/12/2014 to anyone that commits suicide.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID11/19864.html
There are many things that would be nice to wish for or say but then I would be just like him.

Post His Name!

There was a PRICK on SJ that pulled the same kinda BS a couple years ago!

I catch him in My Blind & I will Eject Him!

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

>Post His Name!
>
>There was a PRICK on SJ
>that pulled the same kinda
>BS a couple years ago!
>
>
>I catch him in My Blind
>& I will Eject Him!

That is the whole problem with hunting public land. Even if it's a blind that you own is it legally "yours" if you leave it there? I know I wouldn't use either that kind or one that somebody else had made from brush and vegatation just out of courtesy to the other person. As far as the carcass, it should not be that difficult to at least have moved it a little further after it was boned out just to get the smell away from the blind a little better. However, other than maybe the lousy smell you would have to endure I don't believe it would affect animal behavior in the area. It certainly would not be something that I would want to get in a big fight over!

really drag the guts away or drag it to a better place to gut it lmfao!
I must be unethical cause I aint draggin $ hit to gut it. come to think about it i have never seen anybody drag an animal away to gut it anywhere. if your mad about a guy hunting a water hole on public and killing a buck "in your spot" I suggest find a new water hole.
hornkiller.jpg

>>Post His Name!
>>
>>There was a PRICK on SJ
>>that pulled the same kinda
>>BS a couple years ago!
>>
>>
>>I catch him in My Blind
>>& I will Eject Him!
>
>
>That is the whole problem with
>hunting public land. Even
>if it's a blind that
>you own is it legally
>"yours" if you leave it
>there? I know I
>wouldn't use either that kind
>or one that somebody else
>had made from brush and
>vegatation just out of courtesy
>to the other person.
>As far as the carcass,
>it should not be that
>difficult to at least have
>moved it a little further
>after it was boned out
>just to get the smell
>away from the blind a
>little better. However, other
>than maybe the lousy smell
>you would have to endure
>I don't believe it would
>affect animal behavior in the
>area. It certainly would
>not be something that I
>would want to get in
>a big fight over!

Well TOPGUN!

Next year I'm starting a New Business!

It'll be called: "STAY IN MY BLIND!"

Gonna set a few thousand Blinds up & out & then I'm gonna Rent them out!:D

Could call it:

"Wanna Stay in My Blind"

You can for a Nominal Fee!:D

[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red Hot Barrel & My Dead Cold Hands I Shall go down Fighting for American Pride & Rights!
I Know I'm Out Numbered by Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll Throw Their Hands in the air & I know I can't Lick the U.S. Military by Myself when they Turn on us but I'll make
you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a Situation where I Hope to Hell All Americans become True Americans once again & Stand up for their Rights!

So let me ask you Ethical Hunters a Question!

Let's say you've got your Tent set up & all your BS in it!

It's set up on Public Property!

It gonna be OK if I walk in while you're not around & Help Myself?

Maybe Stay the Night?

Cook me a Meal?

Ya!

I thought so!

I'm back in town for just today,then back on the mountain. Saturday my son had a guy in his stand and the guys buddy said no he is on elk. you hunt another place. My son wasnt feeling well anyway, (passed a kidney stone on monday) so he left and told the guy he would take the stand out after that night!!! I told my son he should have set the buddy on his ass hard! and then went to the a$$hole in the tree stand and said , go ahead and hunt here, im just taking the first 15 tree steeps so I can hunt another stand! then I would have taken the steps. I have the license plate of that white chevy if any of our stands are messed with. They also left trash in my wifes ground blind a mile down the canyon.(water bottles. sardine can and candy wrappers). Oh btw Bess we didnt make it to the stands Sat. morning, my buddy tipped a cow over on the way in. 1 down 5 to go.....

and so the good times start,,,,, 1 down 5 to go, who in the hell can eat 6 elk a year

and so the good times start,,, 1 down and5 to go who can eat 6 elk a year?? fxxx joke...

//

>I'm back in town for just
>today,then back on the mountain.
>Saturday my son had a
>guy in his stand and
>the guys buddy said no
>he is on elk. you
>hunt another place. My son
>wasnt feeling well anyway, (passed
>a kidney stone on monday)
>so he left and told
>the guy he would take
>the stand out after that
>night!!! I told my son
>he should have set the
>buddy on his ass hard!
>and then went to the
>a$$hole in the tree stand
>and said , go ahead
>and hunt here, im just
>taking the first 15 tree
>steeps so I can hunt
>another stand! then I would
>have taken the steps. I
>have the license plate of
>that white chevy if any
>of our stands are messed
>with. They also left trash
>in my wifes ground blind
>a mile down the canyon.(water
>bottles. sardine can and candy
>wrappers). Oh btw Bess we
>didnt make it to the
>stands Sat. morning, my buddy
>tipped a cow over on
>the way in. 1 down
>5 to go.....

Nice on the 1 down Stone!

Ya!

Too Bad your Son didn't WHOOP both their Asses!

Getting to be something!

Caught a Guy Moving My CHUM a couple weeks ago!

Made Him pack it right back to where I had it & Told Him not to ####/Screw with it again!

(((Salt Block just so people know!)))

TROPHY ROCK!

But there Ain't No Trophies!:D

If you guys have a problem with others using your blinds and stands on public land then buy a parcel of land and put them there. The guy in your stand should have been respectful but if you wanted to hunt it you should have got up early. Also as for dragging the guts. Yeah you sound like your high. As founder said it don't post the name its stupid too, especially because it will just cause bs. Lets talk about hunting and seeing game nuff said.

?If men were angels, no government would be
necessary.? John Adams

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14 AT 07:27PM (MST)[p]>Well TOPGUN!
>
>Next year I'm starting a New
>Business!
>
>It'll be called: "STAY IN MY
>BLIND!"
>
>Gonna set a few thousand Blinds
>up & out & then
>I'm gonna Rent them out!:D
>
>
>Could call it:
>
>"Wanna Stay in My Blind"
>
>You can for a Nominal Fee!:D

Bess, my post was trying to be on your side in case you didn't realize it. I was just posing a question in that if it's legally not supposed to be left out on public ground, will you get into legal problems if you tell the guy to take a hike? Oh he**, just give the SOB a tuneup and be done with it, LOL!

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14
>AT 07:27?PM (MST)

>
>>Well TOPGUN!
>>
>>Next year I'm starting a New
>>Business!
>>
>>It'll be called: "STAY IN MY
>>BLIND!"
>>
>>Gonna set a few thousand Blinds
>>up & out & then
>>I'm gonna Rent them out!:D
>>
>>
>>Could call it:
>>
>>"Wanna Stay in My Blind"
>>
>>You can for a Nominal Fee!:D
>
>
>Bess, my post was trying to
>be on your side in
>case you didn't realize it.
> I was just posing
>a question in that if
>it's legally not supposed to
>be left out on public
>ground, will you get into
>legal problems if you tell
>the guy to take a
>hike? Oh he**, just
>give the SOB a tuneup
>and be done with it,
>LOL!

Just Sayin TOPGUN!

The Blind Business will/should fit right in with My "Lone my Drone"!:D

Utah sure isn't California! You gut a deer out, or bone one out in California, it's all cleaned up by the next morning.

I don't ever recall it being an issue:)

Eel

>Utah sure isn't California! You gut
>a deer out, or bone
>one out in California, it's
>all cleaned up by the
>next morning.
>
>I don't ever recall it being
>an issue:)
>
>Eel

Eel, I figured in California if you'd leave a gut or bone pile you might get a ticket for littering.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14 AT 09:18PM (MST)[p]Me personally I would not use someone else's blind. Pop up your own if you want to hunt the same waterhole!! As far as the carcass. There is a lot of difference between gutting one and boning one. Yes gutting one the guts would be gone pretty quickly. But bones,meat, and hide start stinking after a day or two. I would never do that to someone else if I knew they were hunting the same water. Just common courtesy. How many of you would like to sit there with your son smelling that all day? In my opinion, the little bucks might still come in with no problem, but that big boy isn't stupid!!! Bottom line is the guy was a real @$$.

>LAST EDITED ON Aug-19-14
>AT 09:18?PM (MST)

>
>Me personally I would not use
>someone else's blind. Pop up
>your own if you want
>to hunt the same waterhole!!
>As far as the carcass.
>There is a lot of
>difference between gutting one and
>boning one. Yes gutting
>one the guts would be
>gone pretty quickly. But bones,meat,
>and hide start stinking after
>a day or two. I
>would never do that to
>someone else if I knew
>they were hunting the same
>water. Just common courtesy. How
>many of you would like
>to sit there with your
>son smelling that all day?
>In my opinion, the little
>bucks might still come in
>with no problem, but that
>big boy isn't stupid!!! Bottom
>line is the guy was
>a real @$$.

Yup!

A Real Asshhole!

Perty Sad what Hunting has come too!

True/Real Hunters out there trying to teach their Kids Right from Wrong & You've gotta Tolerate this kinda Bullssshhit!

>If you guys have a problem
>with others using your blinds
>and stands on public land
>then buy a parcel of
>land and put them there.
>The guy in your stand
>should have been respectful but
>if you wanted to hunt
>it you should have got
>up early. Also as for
>dragging the guts. Yeah you
>sound like your high. As
>founder said it don't post
>the name its stupid too,
>especially because it will just
>cause bs. Lets talk about
>hunting and seeing game nuff
>said.
>
>?If men were angels, no government
>would be
>necessary.? John Adams

Enough said. It's "PUBLIC" land. Just because you leave your stand or blind there doesn't make the property belong to you. The only way to go on public land is first come first serve.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-14 AT 06:32AM (MST)[p]So?

Are Tents & Camp Trailers Free to use on public Ground even though you don't Own them just because they're on Public ground?

Is there a Limit on how many Tree Stands you can hang on the same Tree looking over the same Water Hole?

"""Wanna Sit with Me in the same Tree?""":D:D:D

Seems we had the discussion previously about "abandoned" property and such on public ground. I don't remember if anyone ever really resolved it. I do think I remember that using a blind or treestand that is on public ground is perfectly legal, though pretty unethical for the majority of us.

In the case above, I wonder if the complaint would have been made if the other hunter had only been next to the blind and killed the buck, rather than actually in it..?? While it is unfortunate that "your" waterhole hunt may have been ruined because an animal was killed nearby, such is the plight for all of us who hunt public land.

Somebody could have stuck a deer a mile away and it ran right up next to your waterhole and died. They clean it and leave. Your hunt is "ruined" in the same fashion.

How about this scenario: I find a secluded water hole on public land with lots of animal activity. I set up a 'natural' blind using some deadfall and brush in the area. The week before the hunt, a guy who has always hunted that waterhole brings in his Cabela's brand blind and sets it between my natural blind and the waterhole, exactly the spot where he always sets it up... Who's spot is it..?? Who is legal and who is ethical..?? Who should do what..?? If I kill an animal one night when he is not there, do I have to drag the animal a mile away to allow for continued activity..??

"Therefore, wo be unto him that is at ease in Zion!" 2 Ne. 28: 24

First in response to the OP.

Any blind left on public land is open to use by any member of the public on a first come first served basis, hunters accept this possibility when they place stands. It appears that your brother understood this and this was not the issue in this case.

I also cannot fault the guy for leaving the carcass behind. I have never moved a deer away from the kill site for gutting and I have seen deer killed within yards of a gut pile left the day before. I do not believe it to be an issue.

I don't see how the other hunter did anything unethical in this situation, he was respectful of the blind and didn't damage it. He hunted it when your brother was not there. He killed a deer, cleaned it and went on his way.

Elkassassin:
I don't know if the regulations regarding camping gear are the same regulating hunting blinds. I did a few quick searches but could not find anything on USFS or BLM regarding first come first serve use of tents placed on public land, however I did find rules regarding hunting blinds.

Whatever happened to common courtesy??

Here's an idea: If you are going to set up a blind, maybe leave a note attached that reads: My name is (whatever). This is my blind, but you are welcome to use it if you like. I plan on hunting on these dates (whatever). I would appreciate being able to use my blind on these dates. Leave phone number maybe?

I have seen this here in Wyoming. It works pretty good( this isn't Utah).If there is someone using the blind on the day you want to use it, simply remove the blind...whether they are in it or not...or go somewhere else to hunt for the day.

Leaving an empty sardine can in someone's blind is absolute BS.

Leaving a blind or a stand at a waterhole implies that you are "laying claim" to said waterhole. On public land you take your chances.

As far as dragging a carcass away from a waterhole before gutting it....not gonna happen. Twice I have seen dead horses in different waterholes. In neither instance did it prevent critters from coming in for a drink. Of course, that is in desert country with limited water sources.

It would definitely suck to have to sit there and smell that, though!

Also in response to the OP.

On public land you take your chances when hunting water. If it was a natural blind built out of tree limbs, brush, etc. then it is first come first served as to who gets to hunt it. In New Mexico there are natural blinds on almost every water tank and with three elk archery seasons you never know if someone is using them unless a note is provided or you run into the hunter that is hunting out if it. If your brother used a pop up blind and took a chance leaving it up overnight then he might have been better served leaving a note in it specifying the date(s) he intended to hunt with his son. A note MIGHT help also in the case of a natural blind too but some guys put up blinds on every water and say they are going to hunt everyday and effectively lock-up every water hole and then only hunt the one they think is best. Personally, I would hunt somewhere else if I found a note in a natural blind and would assume a pop-up blind belonged to someone else that intended to hunt it note or not unless it looked like it had been there for a while or otherwise abanonded.

As for the carcass, you find them all the time at the edges of tanks in NM where elk have been killed. Elk seem to keep using those tanks. While a deer carcass is obviously easier to move, as long a there is no minimum distance from water for gutting the animal specified in the fish and game regulations, then personally I don't find what the hunter did to be unethical with regards to his leaving the deer carcass...

Horniac

Amen Non-Typical and Horniac, Amen!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-14 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]So I can legally use your tree blind, but not your tent? Show me the law that makes a removable tree stand/ladder public property. Pop up blind the same way?

If I had set a tree stand up on public and someone else was sitting there and wouldn't move, I would say, fine you can use the tree, but I am taking my stand.

If I leave my stand up when I leave, others are welcome to use it, but I can take it with me if I come back. Otherwise, the other hunter could legally take it home and not be guilty of stealing?

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

I would never sit in another persons blind or tree stand, and certainly would not take up camping in someones tent. However, it is ALMOST as rude to set up a blind or stand on a waterhole, and the EXPECT all others to stay away as it is to hunt in someone else's blind/stand, it is public land!

Animals die all the time...I don't think other animals give rotting flesh much concern, except bears (they love em).

I've left notes near bear baits informing others the dates when I'll be hunting, hoping they will respect my bait site and most do. Water holes are different, you cant put them somewhere else, and they are limited in number.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-14 AT 03:01PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-14 AT 02:58?PM (MST)

Opps! I, along with a couple of grandsons who are still under hunting age, have been hunting a guzzler with a ground blind in the same place for a few years, but this year I decided to move it to a more visually "busy" place behind the upsticking roots of a fallen tree. My daughter and I spent a couple of hours clearing and leveling the rocky ground a couple of weeks before the hunt. Then a few days before the hunt, I went up to set up the blind which I did with no trouble, but I did notice a trail cam that wasn't there the time before. However, as I was gathering some material (dead limbs, strips of bark) to further camo the blind, I noticed a "natural blind" another 15 yards behind mine, also behind the roots of a fallen tree. It looked like it had been there quite a while, maybe years, but it didn't appear to have been recently cleared, cleaned or maintained with some leaves laying on top and small weeds and shoots growing in it. I figured it had been abandoned and since it was too far from the guzzler for my comfortable shooting distance, I dismissed it and left mine where it was. I hope I didn't mess up somebody else!

In any case, I left my UWC card with my phone number and a note saying I wasn't trophy hunting and if the other party was, then they were to call me and we could make compatible arrangements. I don't care if someone uses my blind when I'm not in it, but they aren't welcome to take it or trash it. (As if I could do anything about it!). As it turns out, I haven't even used it yet this year due to a family situation. And I haven't received a phone call. I hope it's still there when I get back home tomorrow.

The further you get from the road the less that these things seem to happen. Hunters who take the trouble to get away farther eliminate less experienced and less ethical hunters. Unless age or physical abilities limit you the hunting gets better and the bullshit gets less away from the road. Like it or not there is a 15% rule going on anywhere you go. There are 15% of the people here on earth really worth rubbing elbows with. A really good and smart person helps anyone he can and chooses his company carefully!

>>I'm back in town for just
>>today,then back on the mountain.
>>Saturday my son had a
>>guy in his stand and
>>the guys buddy said no
>>he is on elk. you
>>hunt another place. My son
>>wasnt feeling well anyway, (passed
>>a kidney stone on monday)
>>so he left and told
>>the guy he would take
>>the stand out after that
>>night!!! I told my son
>>he should have set the
>>buddy on his ass hard!
>>and then went to the
>>a$$hole in the tree stand
>>and said , go ahead
>>and hunt here, im just
>>taking the first 15 tree
>>steeps so I can hunt
>>another stand! then I would
>>have taken the steps. I
>>have the license plate of
>>that white chevy if any
>>of our stands are messed
>>with. They also left trash
>>in my wifes ground blind
>>a mile down the canyon.(water
>>bottles. sardine can and candy
>>wrappers). Oh btw Bess we
>>didnt make it to the
>>stands Sat. morning, my buddy
>>tipped a cow over on
>>the way in. 1 down
>>5 to go.....
>
>Nice on the 1 down Stone!
>
>
>Ya!
>
>Too Bad your Son didn't WHOOP
>both their Asses!
>
>Getting to be something!
>
>Caught a Guy Moving My CHUM
>a couple weeks ago!
>
>Made Him pack it right back
>to where I had it
>& Told Him not to
>####/Screw with it again!
>
>(((Salt Block just so people know!)))
>
>
>TROPHY ROCK!
>
>But there Ain't No Trophies!:D
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>[font color="red"]From My Smokin Cherry Red
>Hot Barrel & My Dead
>Cold Hands I Shall go
>down Fighting for American Pride
>& Rights!
>I Know I'm Out Numbered by
>Pusssies & Brainwashed Democrats that'll
>Throw Their Hands in the
>air & I know I
>can't Lick the U.S. Military
>by Myself when they Turn
>on us but I'll make
>
>you one Guarantee,They'll be Enduring a
>Situation where I Hope to
>Hell All Americans become True
>Americans once again & Stand
>up for their Rights!

Yer chummin em too elkassassin? Judas!

>The further you get from the
>road the less that these
>things seem to happen. Hunters
>who take the trouble to
>get away farther eliminate less
>experienced and less ethical hunters.
>Unless age or physical abilities
>limit you the hunting gets
>better and the bullshit gets
>less away from the road.
>Like it or not there
>is a 15% rule going
>on anywhere you go. There
>are 15% of the people
>here on earth really worth
>rubbing elbows with. A really
>good and smart person helps
>anyone he can and chooses
>his company carefully!

Thank god for good broke horses even old guys can ride!

Im with ya Elkass, if I find any SOB sitting in my blind your going to get the ejection seat!! Just because it is public land doesn't give you the right to to help your self to someone else's equipment, you will think the FN devil walked in on you.
As far as dragging an animal off to gut it, your crazy as hell. That dude is gettin gutted where he falls!

Not trying to play tuff guy, but you think im BS, go sit in my blind and see what happens.

Mike

A few seasons ago I arrived at one of my favorite public land turkey hunting spots a few days before the season opened to listen for gobblers. There I found a hand-painted plywood sign that read "This spot taken opening day of turkey season". I laughed my a$$ off, took it home to decorate my shop, and then returned to hunt the property on opening day. If possession is established by the simple existence of one man's property on his preferred site, then there is no such thing as "public" land. While I have willingly, if unhappily, walked away from a dozen turkey and deer hunts in order to give another hunter his space, I regard the space to be "his" only because he is standing in it. It is the height of poor ethics, in my opinion, to leave one's property in the field in an effort to rob others of their fair chance to hunt. This is not to say that you must take your entire kit out with you every time you leave the woods, but neither should you imagine that, by leaving it behind, you are entitled to exclude others from that area. If there is one tree at a water hole, and several hunters who wish to hunt that same hole, then the second and third to arrive have just as much right to hang their stands in that tree as the first, provided it is unoccupied upon their arrival. If the only feasible spot to hang their stands is in the location of the first, then I guess they should feel justified in helping themselves to the stand left by the man who thought he could exclude them by leaving his behind, or else remove the offending stand and then install their own. As for leaving the dead carcass behind, that seems a deliberate attempt to sabotage another's hunt. If at all possible, he should have moved the animal.

Muley Freak,

Leaving your hunting blind on public land does give anyone the right to use it. It does not give them the right to take it or destroy it. If you walk up and find someone in your blind or stand you are within your rights to take the blind or stand.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom