Unique Elk Mount...

ruttinelk393

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-09 AT 11:28AM (MST)[p]I killed a good elk last year and instead of doing a regular shoulder mount, I was considering "dressing him up" with some Pine trees, shrubs, rocks etc that are native to the area I killed him. I wondered if anyone had any pics or ideas of some mounts (can be wall or pedestal mounts)that turned out well. Lets see em!!!

I saw a full body mounted bull that was crouched and walking, head low, tilted back and bugeling. He had a pine brow all tangled in his front end....it was pretty cool.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Thanks so much for the idea. Unfortunately a full body is out of my realm of possibilities, but I am considering creating a scene from my mantle where I can extend the top out to accomodate my bull's beams and either have a pedestal style mount or bracket him to the wall. Either way, I plan to add some brush, rock grasses etc to blend him back into the wall and create some depth. I have found a company that sells high end pine trees that could be added along the wall on either side etc. I was hoping for some ideas and pics that could give guide me along. Thanks again.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-02-09 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]Here's a Tule elk that I took in '06 thus the tules and mud.
If I get a big Rocky Mt elk than I'm going to mount it with aspens. And if I really get lucky and bag a roosevelt, I'm going to mount him with ferns and moss.
498760496234477f.jpg

I know it is not an elk but I just got this mount back from my taxidermist. It is a wall pedestal mount and I built the pedestal base and placed the habitat myself. The habitat that I used is exactly like what was were I killed him. My 4 year old son wanted to put a shed on it so I told him to pick one, of course he picked his first shed he ever found for it. It makes the mount even more special. Good luck with your mount and be sure to post up some pics when you get it done. Hope this helps.

498789977b335ce9.jpg

A good taxidermist should be able to do anything you want, whether you do a wall or pedestal mount. This is a mule deer pedestal mount, but I still need to build the wooden base part in my shop. It will be about 3' tall. The deer head is removable and swivels in place for proper positioning.

494133bf680ad448.jpg

494133ec6909e19e.jpg

49413404698458df.jpg

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Here is Moosie's mount from his 2007 hunt. This has a waterfall, and some outstanding habbitat. Its a "half body" mount". Draw back is the mount is huge.. but his is the only one I have ever seen. So that puts it in the unique category.
498b0fa64ba1d22c.jpg

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

Thanks for the pictures guys. I have enough cape to do a full shoulder and then some, but not half body. I have to get the elk (antlers) away from the wall and I am looking for some ideas to fill in the area around it and behind it to blend it back into the wall. My wife has a floral arrangement biz and we have been looking into dressing up wall mounts with trees, rock/moss,grass,brush or any materials that will tie the animal back to its surroundings while alive. I am trying get some ideas and then find outlets for quality faux rocks etc. IF one can do this right, it can make a regular wall shoulder mount something alittle more special. Thanks for the pics so far-they are great.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom