unit 079 or 80/81

P

pitbullth3

I have hunted in 079 a few years ago and took a nice 27" muley. I was wondering about unit 80/81 for deer and/or elk. Are there decent size bulls? How about big deer. Any help would be great, Thanks. Ryan

079...I like Coolbroth canyon

80...Near Pinos Creek; seen a lot of good bucks there during the late summer

we have elk hunted 81 for about 8 years, all season from 1st elk to 4th. We hunt the south end of the unit and have never seen a shootable buck in fact in 8 years I ve only seen 1 buck. As far as elk go, you have to find a decent spot, there are lots of hunters. you could probably get a cow easy. We get a rag horn bull about every 2 years. my ex brother in law shot a nice 320 6x6 about 5 years ago, dont know where he came from cuz we ahve never seem anything like that dead or alive down there since. I would never burn any points on this unit though.

I have hunted 81/80 religiously for 20+ yrs. The deer herds are coming back. Around early sept 2yrs ago I saw some decent bucks around timberline, but I wasn't hunting at the time. It was nice to see that the draw only for deer is paying off whether people believe it or not. No trophies like what you see in the magazines, but definitely more bucks than I saw 10 yrs ago. If you are looking for 330+ bull you are in the wrong areas. It is possible, and I have seen what you all call a 350+ bull a time or two. But the best trophy areas are either further north, find private land, or another state. I personally have never had a problem taking an elk every year. But then if it is legal I take it. I don't hold much stock for trophies. To me a cow is just as good as a 6X6 any day of the week. However during archery it never fails that I usually see a legal bull 4pt or better every day. If you want more information on these two units I have no problem telling you where I go. I have my honey holes, but who doesn't. But I am not afraid to tell you where you can go and have the same chance as I do. And if I happen to be hunting the same season as you, I have no problem hooking up with you and showing you around.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom