Unit 1 Elk landowner pilot ?

born_2_hunt

I was just going through the points required and noticed that I have enough points to draw E-E-001-Y2-R which is a "Landowner pilot public license". Is this tag good for public land? The way I read it in the regs is that it is indeed good on public land.

Anyone have any insight?

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

It is good for the specified private and all public lands within the unit. From speaking with wardens, they feel the majority of private land enrolled typically not the best for elk hunting but there are other advantages with this tag. Have you ever been in Unit 1?

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

nRE: Unit 1 Elk landowner pilot ?

No ive never been as far as unit 1. I did notice that it has some access issues but seems to be plenty of huntable ground. Do you have any experience with it?

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

N

I hunted Unit 1 about 4 years ago. Killed a 333" bull(51" & 53" mains, 44" inside, good mass) on the first morning. Watched the other out of state hunter(2 non-resident tags issued) kill a tremendous 380" non-typical on the first morning also. Saw a 6x6 typical that would have scored 360+. I have film of the non-typical and the huge typical but it was graciously given to me and I do not have permission to share.

That all happened on public.

Those elk cross the river from 2 & 201. They also cross in and out of the Monument.

>That all happened on public.
>
>Those elk cross the river from
>2 & 201. They
>also cross in and out
>of the Monument.

I have also seen them leave that unit to those places. I have kicked all around 1. I would not consider hunting it for the number of points it takes. I even have access to most of the private land. It is just not a very big unit, it has some decent bulls, but they can easily leave and not come back. You have Utah, The monument, Private grounds, and easy crossing to unit 201.

On the flip side it is really cool country and everytime I have hiked it I have found some cool stuff. A brand New Patagonia Coat, a pair of Binos, An very old alum arrow with broadhead. Etc. But I have also found increasing sign of ATV use all over (probably mostly shed hunters). I have in the past thought about unit 1 for my points, but just can't justify it. It might be great for the scout the week before and kill on first morning but after that there just seems to be too many places for the animals to get shelter.

There's some truth to what you say. I'm not really an elk hunter, I much prefer mule deer. That said, I had acquired the points over the years and was about 2 points behind 2, 10 or 201. After analyzing the points data, Unit 1 seemed like a good choice to burn the points. I'm not sure I would have lived long enough for the other units. The other good choice was the second rifle hunt in Unit 10. I had deer hunted there and knew something about the unit. The negative is you get a lot of broken up bulls. I went with Unit 1 and don't regret it. I'm not sure how the hunt would've gone after opening morning but it was really neat scouting a few days before the hunt. I knew it was going to be a rodeo opening morning and it was - on both sides of the river. I had seen the big freak bull while scouting and would loved to have killed it. The other non-resident tagholder was in a better position than I was opening morning and he made a great shot in a helluva cross wind and put him down.

Just my take on unit 1;

This is remote country which takes a while to get back into. Be in shape as this is big steep country but there are some great areas to hunt. Some good elk run around there but preseason scouting is critical. To me the private land and how it is dispersed adds to the potiental to harvest a solid bull along with the monument and 201. Poaching is having an impact here due to remoteness and dare I say the proximately to Utah. DOW has kicked up patrols and some local folks also have helped build signs for the unit but still the issues persist. It is a small unit but it has some of the best biodiversity I have seen with respect to animals and habitat. I say go for it and hunt ! ! !

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I think I'm gonna put in for it. Might as well give it a shot. I've been looking for a unique hunt and my goals are realistic as far as size goes. I would be happy with a 330 bull or less. Thanks for the input guys.

4afddbfa2842588e.jpg

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom