Unit 10 Archery Either Sex Elk

CrabClaw

Hi all,

Judging by the backdoor it looks like I will finally be hunting in the NW corner after waiting 17 years.

I have spent some time in Unit 10 in the past and I am generally familiar with the unit and the prime spots that hold elk. I am planning to do some scouting during the summer and hope to allocate about 3 weeks to hunt.

As part of my scouting; I am hoping to hear from anyone on here who has hunted the unit in the past to gain some additional insight in lesser known areas that elk use and any information about water holes, access points, etc. that you may have.

Messaging me via PM on here is fine as well.

Thanks

You got a great tag. If you don't already have one get a really good GPS with a Colo chip in it so you can be sure where you are. Lots of BLM but also lots of unmarked private and Monument property also. Stop at the Monument HQ and get a permit to walk across Monument property with your bow to access BLM. You may not need it but it's a good idea to have one. There are more elk in 10 than anywhere else I've ever hunted in this state. Have fun.

Thanks Sheephunter. I will get the monument permit for sure.

It is official, I drew this tag :) Pretty excited for the hunt, and even more excited to be out of the preference point game! (at least for elk). If anyone is out there who has hunted this unit in the past has any info on areas to concentrate on, as well as areas to avoid, I would like to hear from you if your willing. Thanks.

Good luck to everyone this fall.

CrabClaw, I'm new to this forum but thought I could provide a bit of help on unit 10 elk.
I've hunted (actually been the family guide and meat packer) in this unit 4 times. 2 different youth cow hunts for my sons, an antelope hunt, then finally had the wife cash in her pile of points in 2011 for a nice bull. Spent most of my time around the Moosehead. Not sure how much pre-scouting you'll be able to get in, but I can provide some tips for where the elk seemed to want to be when I was there in Sept and early Oct. Youth cow hunts took place in late Oct, but main elk herds didn't move great distance from rut time.
Happy to help.
Woosh

CrabClaw I'm a newby on the PM stuff. I know it involves the envelope, but you'll have to guide me through the first time.

Well - After going to the home page, clicking on the Forums tab, (Lists all the different Forums, species & states) - I have no "Inbox" on the upper right. ..What an I doing wrong ?

try this:

571520150612160425.jpg

Your pic is clear and should've made this easy. However, all I have on this line is Logout Help Search - That's it. None of the other ones you have - Read New Posts, Mark Posts Read, Account Info, - and the one needed Inbox ...???

CrabClaw- Got it now. I guess I'm a bit slow on this but the old blind squirrel will stumble upon a nut eventually. I'll hopefully be able to PM you later tonite.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom